What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBOOKS

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if iBooks gets lumped into iWorks but?

Before the wonderful iOS8 came along and everything worked. I put several books (Reference) to the iCloud, today I tried to recover one or two and it won't let me!!! I have tried the usual way (tapping on the book) it does show that it is working i.e. the little circular thingy in the top corner confirms it is downloading - but thats as far as it gets, when the download thing disappears I'm still left with the iCloud symbol and no book.

Wife suggested I go to the store, search for my bought and paid for book/s and reload them from there - did that - same response! I have 4 books (paid for) which I don't seem to be able to recover.

Now I have tried to sign in and out of my account which works perfectly and I have done a system reset on the iPad - but nothing - any suggestions, with the exception of speaking to Apple (I'm never going to waste another day of my life doing that again) would be most appreciated and with luck Bris the moderator won't lock this thread before a conclusion comes along.

Apologies, I have just noticed that there is a iBooks; bit but as nobody has looked at it for a few months and I can't see anything within it, to do with what to do when it is not working I will leave my question here - not that I know how to move it anyway!

Happy New Year

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've moved your post to the iBooks Forum where it will receive more attention.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - now I'm assuming that you have recently upgraded to iOS 8.x on your iPad and no longer have the desired books on the device - correct? Do you have iBooks on the iPad? If not, then download from the App Store - but if so, open iBooks - go to your 'Books' category (see screen shot below) and 'Unhide' your iCloud Books (blue arrow) - books that are in the cloud should show the 'cloud' icon w/ the outgoing down pointing arrow (see the two w/ red arrows - I have plenty more on the next page) - see if this helps - if not please post back - Dave :)

IMG_1083.PNG

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave thanks but I have done all that - I stored all my reference books on the cloud - they are there and show up as being on the cloud (your red arrows) to recover them usually you just tap the book, it asks you for you password (sometimes) and bobs your uncle - they recover - well they ain't!!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so already, restart and/or reset the iPad. Just because it's worth trying.

But:

I know you don't want to, but you are probably going to have to talk to iTunes Support (not Apple Tech Support). They should be able to reset whatever has got those books hung up, or at least tell you why they won't download anymore.

I'm saying this because, short of cleaning out your entire iBooks library and re-downloading them all again, I've no idea of how to approach this. And I'm not entirely sure how to clear the library without doing a clean restore of the device, or using iTunes on a computer. You no longer have the option of deleting iBooks and re-installing it.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TP I decided to take your, as always, very sensible advice, bite my lip and seek help from iTunes :( guess what I got an email straight back telling me that they acknowledge my request and promise contact within 48 hours :). That was lunchtime last Thursday, since then not a single peep:mad: Apple Customer care/ iTunes is crap and that's trying to be nice;)

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They must have read my last post!!!!!! Below is what I have waited 5 days for - none of which makes any difference at all!

Thanks for choosing Apple.

Hello Steven,

This is Ranjitha again from iTunes Store Customer Support.

I wanted to send a quick note to see if you are still experiencing any difficulties with the iTunes Store. Resolving your issue is important to me, so please don't hesitate to reply if you need any further assistance.

For your convenience I have pasted my previous response as well:
Hi Steven,

Before I begin addressing your email, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.

Ranjitha, here from iTunes Store Customer Support team.

I understand that you have several books and it’s unable to recover on your iPad. I know that how important it is for you to read book on iPad. I will do my best to help you.

Steven, I would like to inform you redownload previous purchase of book again from iTunes in the Cloud. Make sure that to delete previous copy of the book before download fresh copy.

To download your previous purchases directly to an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, Mac, or PC, see this article:

Download past purchases
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

The article gives you step-by-step downloading instructions as well as information about which of your past purchases can be downloaded again in your country.

If you don't see what you want to download in the list, it may be hidden. To learn how to unhide purchases, see this article:

iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919

If you still aren’t able to download your past purchases, let me know. I’ll be happy to help. In your reply, please include the titles and web order numbers of the missing items. If you're not sure how to find those, see this article:

iTunes Store: See your purchase history and web order numbers
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2727

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I will happy to assist you.

Thank you for being a valued customer. Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Ranjitha
iTunes Store Customer Support
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Please note: I work Tuesday -Sunday, 11:00 AM - 08: 00 PM CST

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All I can say is that your experience is not typical. I've dealt with iTunes support myself on several occasions and they have always been reasonably prompt and resolved my issues.

Of course, it could be my experience that is not typical, but Apple usually gets very high marks in customer satisfaction in support surveys, so I"m inclined to think it's you having some very bad luck.

Stick with it. Let them know the problem is not resolved. Bump it up a level. Let them know, politely, that you're not pleased with the current solution or speed of their response. They can't fix support problems if they don't know about them.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am going to try that but on past performance I'm guessing it's going to be a few more days before I get another response - hopefully this time from somebody whose first language is English. I can always hope.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@pilgrimav8r
My experience is that the person that contacts you at first, is the one that keeps writing to you.

I don't think that English is not this person's first language. It seems that the device which she or he used to write this email put in an â instead of an '.

Last edited:
OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you JA, I really can't begin to tell you how much I am looking looking forward to it.

Please do not think I was trying to be rude to Ranjitha, if it reads that way, then I apologise to you and I will apologise to her in my next email. Personally, I really think that the 'Apple' iTunes help line 'device' - whatever, it may be; should, at the very least be compatible with another Apple made device? Maybe she is still on an iOS7?

Btw; Lowena dhis, Nyns yw unn tavas nevra lowr (in my native language) It means - Have a Nice Day, one language is never enough.

Most reactions