What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks works fine with free titles but crashes on purchases titles

GeekyHotelJock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a jailbroken iPad 2 running 4.3.3

I recently bought a book through iBooks after seamlessly reading the free teaser also downloaded from iBooks. The purchased book however crashes iBooks almost instantly.

To make things even more weird I also have an iPhone 3gs that's jailbroken running 4.3.3 and the book works completely fine on there.

From what I've read it seems Apple is getting sneaky with how books work on jailbroken devices but is there a way around this?

Help! I just want to read by book.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The last word I heard is that the newest version of iBooks does not work well/play well with jailbroken iPads (be they iPad1 or iPad2).

I've not heard of a solution - so the answer is to accept it. Sorry.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to throw this out there to see what sticks...

iBooks does not play well with jailbroken iPad's IF the Apple fairplay DRM copy protection has been patched... This does not happen unless you install a particular piracy enabling application component, the discussion of which is banned on these forums. Once that component is installed it does not matter if you purchase your books or not, they simply won't work because iBooks will crash constantly.

I have recently begun to use iBooks quite heavily, and have purchased over a dozen titles in the last 2 months. My iBooks never crashes. NEVER! I have a normally jailbroken iPad2 without any illegal content on it, and so for the record, iBooks works perfectly well for me with purchased iBooks Store content on a jailbroken device. YMMV, but particularly if you are a pirate...

Mjmoore17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exact same problem. 4.33 with IPad 1. Putting in safe mode can sometimes help. Usually have to re-open book and then have it crash several times. Finally it will load completely and run fine. Once it is completly loaded, it will work fine until new book is downloaded. Then same process for new book. Since I have never used pirated anything, I doubt that is the cause.

Dusty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem with it crashing on purchased books, but I found that if I turn the page before it crashes, it won't!

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had the same issue myself but it was only one book that did it. (legally purchased through the ibook store), now, I recently purchased the third of this
trilogy and the pictures are all mulloxed up. Hmm.

Cheers

Addendum; I haven't had the iBook crash for a while now and I believe there was an update but I don't remember for sure.

Last edited:

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two iPad2's, both are jailbroken, and neither play well with iBooks. I have only downloaded free kid's books, and only a small percentage work properly. I've updated the app but it didn't seem to help any. Both iPads have the "particular piracy enabling application component, the discussion of which is banned on these forums" so that may be my problem. The only reason I would care to have iBooks work is for kid's books for my son. I wish there was a way to get it to work properly, but really can't complain because I'm doing it to myself...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have two iPad2's, both are jailbroken, and neither play well with iBooks. I have only downloaded free kid's books, and only a small percentage work properly. I've updated the app but it didn't seem to help any. Both iPads have the "particular piracy enabling application component, the discussion of which is banned on these forums" so that may be my problem. The only reason I would care to have iBooks work is for kid's books for my son. I wish there was a way to get it to work properly, but really can't complain because I'm doing it to myself...

Well, I suppose it is decent of you to admit it, but you know our rules. As I've said before, I have 2 JB iPads which are fully legit and don't have any problems with paid or unpaid content in iBooks, and never have. Lots of others claim to be in the same boat as me and still have problems. Go figure.

Most reactions