What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks stuck waiting for "edit" to open

H Hubbard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
upgraded to ios8 to my iPad air, now iBooks is stuck spinning waiting for "edit" to come up... I have reset, nothing... Hard started, nothing.... I try to read and get two or three pages in and get the boot.... No read? Not right! HELP

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not completely sure I understand what is going on.

If this is happening for a specific book, try deleting that book and downloading it again.

OP
H

H Hubbard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's ibooks itself that's the issue, not a specific book. When you open iBooks in the top right corner, it should have an "edit" function so you can delete or move books. Mine just spins like it's thinking about it and boots me from the app

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's odd. It should say Select, not Edit.

The only thing I can find that says Edit is the Collections list that you get when tapping the All Books (or Books, or PDF's) in at the top center of the screen.

The place where Select button shows can spend a considerable amount of time spinning, as it tries to find All your books, especially if you're really showing All books and have a large library.

Try going to Settings > iBooks and turning off Online Content. That should keep iBooks from looking in the iBooks Store for those books you've purchased, but not downloaded to the device.

Restart the device after changing the settings, so the iBooks will get a clean restart instead of trying to continue where it left off.

At the very least it will let us know if the problem is with the locally stored library, or a matter of accessing the iBook Store servers.

OP
H

H Hubbard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct, Select is what comes up. I couldn't remember because I no longer get it :(... Anyway I did as suggested and it still does same. I reset my pad completely and that worked for about 4 hours. So I think during that 4 hours I turned something back on that another app needed and it's affecting ibooks. Still searching

OP
H

H Hubbard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did "reset all settings" again and it fixed nothing.... I'm at a loss

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You may have to do a restore using iTunes on a computer.

Restore it with a backup first (so do a back up on the computer first) and see if that works. If it does not you may end up having to do a clean restore and adding all your apps and content back manually.

Which means if you haven't already saved all your important non-istore content off the iPad, do so now.

Or the next update might fix it, if you can wait that long. There was an update today, briefly, before people discovered it was breaking iPhone 6 features. Apple pulled it. No telling how long it will take them to put it out again.

OP
H

H Hubbard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know :( my last ditch would be a full... Cannot stand not being able to read.... Gggrrrr. Thanks for the assist

Bob of Burke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded a couple of free books from iBooks. Now I can't find a way to delete? When I do find a "delete" button, it will not light up as active?? Any ideas.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

First you have to tap "Select" at the top right:
image.jpg

Then check mark the books you intend to delete, and tap "Delete" afterwards:
image.jpg

Bob of Burke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPF, THANK YOU so much, those steps seem to have worked.

2-One book that I want to delete, won't 'check'. To the far right there is a circle with a small square in the center; but the circle is NOT filling in. It seems to have started loading and then froze. Any help with that???

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the iBooks app, go to Featured and scroll down to your Apple ID. Tap it and sign out. Then sign in again.

Bob of Burke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again. I think it is deleted; if it will stay deleted. It seemed with that one book I had to "select" and "delete" on the iPhone rather than the iPad. On the iMac it said I could "Hide" them and I did; but I wanted them completely deleted, gone. But they are off my screens.

Most reactions