What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks PDF Display Issue

Mcmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've recently uploaded a bunch of PDF's on to my iPad 2.

And when I turn the iPad landscape the PDF still shows a single page, ie does not "read" like a book showing both pages, like flipping thru a magazine, if you get what I mean.

On all other iPads I've used all it takes to do this is to turn the iPad landscape.

Any ideas on how to rectify this? Thanks

OP
M

Mcmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just using iBooks.

A lot of my friends do the same and don't have the same issue that Im experiencing.

I thought it might have something to do with how the PDF was formatted on my laptop? Idk....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue...if it's a pure PDF document then, as far as I know, it does it exactly the way you describe. Only eBooks exhibit the 'page turning' mode.

Tim

OP
M

Mcmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm I don't know that that is 100% true.

I have some PDF files, which are online magazines, and they rotate fine, while still being, as far as I can tell, standard PDF files....which leads me to think the PDF must be formatted in some particular way.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - you're probably right - I've never come across any PDF documents that have 'page turning' but it's more than likely it's an issue to do with formatting - I've been wrong many many times before...:(

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never seen one either, at least not one that will page flip in iBooks. There are magazine apps that do this, but I'm not sure what kind of PDF, if any, they use.

OP
M

Mcmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the help guys. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find a solution!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a source (preferably free) of one of the PDF files that are viewable side by side, I'd like to know. I doubt it will help solve your problem, but I'd sure like to see it. ;)

OP
M

Mcmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, re-reading the replies I think I was a bit unclear.

I don't need the PDF to look like a physical page when turning.

What I am after is the ability to display 2 subsequent pages when in landscape mode. Ie when there is a "double page" ad in a magazine that runs across 2 pages, I would like to be able to view the 2 pages simultaneously, next to each other, like in a physical magazine.

Currently, when I turn the iPad landscape I still see only a single page.

Twerppoet, check out this site: Previous Issues - Academy For Men

These are the files which display "double page" as I would like the rest to do.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I understand - OK, the latest update to GoodReader will allow you to display two PDF pages side-by-side in landscape mode. I have it on my iPad and I've just checked it out with the link you gave, downloaded the PDF and opened it in GoodReader. There's a new option for double-page display at the bottom - you get a warning about the impact on RAM usage (you'd be fine with an iPad2 - but even my 'old' iPad1 worked fine) and then you're good-to-go.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. It took a while to download.

This PDF isn't really being viewed side by side. It is just that the PDF is laid out so that two magazine pages are printed on a single landscape page. When you turn the iPad in portrait mode you still see the pages side by side.

Think of it as having taken a magazine, laid it flat, and then scanned both sides onto a single landscape oriented page. That's probably pretty close to what they did.

At any rate, it means that iBooks does not have a magical ability to view some PDF files with two pages side by side and not others. It is only showing you a single page at a time, as far as the app is concerned.

That does not mean that the app you want does not exist. Given the huge number of PDF reader apps in the store, it's almost guaranteed to exist. I just can't find one, at least not one with good reviews. I found Easy PDF, which allows a 2 page view in landscape, but the reviews are discouraging.

Unless someone else comes along that knows of a good app, I'm afraid you'll have to brave the App Store and do a lot of research. If you do find an app that does the job, and that you like, please let us know. It may help the next person with this requirement.

I'll keep an eye out for one. If I stumble across something that looks good, I'll come back and let you know.

OP
M

Mcmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone.

Tim, cheers, I'll try out GoodReader and let you know how I go!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now I understand - OK, the latest update to GoodReader will allow you to display two PDF pages side-by-side in landscape mode. I have it on my iPad and I've just checked it out with the link you gave, downloaded the PDF and opened it in GoodReader. There's a new option for double-page display at the bottom - you get a warning about the impact on RAM usage (you'd be fine with an iPad2 - but even my 'old' iPad1 worked fine) and then you're good-to-go.

Tim

I should have known. Thanks Tim.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also you might try downloading Calibre (free program), open the PDF file and see if you can resave it with the page layout style you are looking for.

Most reactions

Latest posts