What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks Not Yet Available in Canadian iTunes

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Monday the 10th marks the date when Canadians and other nations around the world may pre-order their iPads. I've already downloaded a few apps to see; of course I can't use them yet! For the fun of it I tried to access iBooks to browse some titles but it's not available in the Canadian version.
After some searching, it appears that iBooks will not be supported when we finally get our iPads! I'm totally shocked! I was really, really looking forward to this!:(
Will we at least be able to get the software in to create our own library? I do have quite a few ebooks...

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The other country thing makes me crazy! I understand Apple may not be able to SELL books in Canada yet, but the app should still be available to use as a reader. It really is a good epub reader.

One can hope that when the iPad actually does launch there, it will appear in the app store. If not...... Stanza for iPhone works, not very pretty as you have to double size it to take advantage of the ipads roomy screen. Far from perfect, but it's free and it works. I'm pretty sure you have Calibre so transfer of books (once it's set up) is pretty easy.

At some point I'm sure iBooks will be available, but for now it is the only ePub reader made just for the iPad. If you have some PDF books get Goodreader, very good app.

Always good to read your posts iVan. I have not been on MobileRead for a while, but do glance at the news from time to time..... If there was anyway I could get you the iBooks app I would, but as far as I know it's impossible...

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
iBooks just got out in the Canadian iTunes today, ahead of expected date may 28th.

Cool! Glad you finally have the choice.....

How does Amazon work in Canada? The Kindle app and store are pretty good and actually the Kindle store us usually cheaper than Apple or Sony......

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle app has been good for now, but I'd love to see some books in the Canadian iBook store. Hopefully we'll get an announcement at WWDC? Doubt it, but I hope we get some non 1500s content soon :(

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know one of the reasons I joined is to get more information on ways to cover myself for the fact Apple dropped the ball for Canadian customers. I hear they can not sell books in Canada for licensing reasons, but other companies do sell books and have a great selection. I went with Kobo HD which looks like it is a Canadian eBook retailer owned by Chapters-Indigo the biggest book retailer in Canada. My question is this if Apple ever find out to offer Canadians books which we can already get, is there any reason I should use iBooks? or just stick with Kobo HD?

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really have given up on Apple and iBooks and I am close to uninstalling it. Apple blames foreign licensing agreements !!!!!! Right but explain to me how the competitors can get the license agreements but you can not? Apple iBooks = Fail for Canadians.

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Especially since iBooks was promoted so very widely in full graphic mode on the Apple site, the current reality is indeed a disappointment. I keep hoping for a resolution.

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple wants the Canadian Copyright Act to be exactly as the American Copyright Law. Politics... Harper is willing to fold. If this game goes on too long I might want to flush iBooks too...

dbbrown1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anything been officially released by Apple as to the "why" of this iBooks in Canada problem? It would be comforting to know (along with some sort of a status update) what the gameplan is. The iBooks app beats both Kobo and Kindle in my opinion but the selection of books is a big disappointment. Come on Apple pick it up and give us what we were sold!!!

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heard nothing but Apple fans claiming something about rights, even though other companies seem to had no problem getting rights to sell books in Canada. Really Kobo works for me, I know Chapters-Indigo are here to stay they have a great selection. I have already deleted iBooks.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Just get Kobo books (their cheaper anyway) and remove the DRM and drag and drop into iTunes and therefore iBooks. They are ePubs just like iBooks.... IMHO the iBooks store is lame anyway, I've never bought a book one from it.....

Most reactions

Latest posts