What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks Help Sharing Book Please

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a book sent to me by a friend, it's in the "Books" section of iBooks. It was a free gift from her - it wasn't purchased. It wasn't a PDF, I don't think (unfortunately I no longer have the email she sent it in).
I want to send it to somebody else, but I can't find how to do it.
If I open any other document, the icon appears that allows me to choose to send it by email, message etc, but when I open this book, or any book, the icon isn't there. I can understand this if it was a book I'd purchased, but this is just a novel written by a friend who shared it with me.
I've added pics of the book I want to share, and also of a PDFS file, so you can see what I mean about the sharing icon - it's in the top left corner of the second file, the PDF, but missing from the other.
Can anyone help me with this please?
image.jpgimage.jpg

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When reading the book tap the three lines at the top left of the screen next to the word Library. Here you will see the chapters of the book, and at the top right the sharing icon. Just tried it with one of my books and it works, am able to email it.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
A

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When reading the book tap the three lines at the top left of the screen next to the word Library. Here you will see the chapters of the book, and at the top right the sharing icon. Just tried it with one of my books and it works, am able to email it.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Gtatler, but when I do that, all the email contains is the words, " Check out (Title) by (author)" - it isn't even a link. It definitely doesn't email the book. I tried it with my other books and the same thing happens.
I'm using iOS 8 on an iPad 2.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't mail books from iBooks. The books are in .epub format and iBooks is programmed to not allow them to be mailed (usually, the .epubs that are placed into iBooks are coded for security reasons).

The only thing I can suggest is plugging the iPad into iTunes and see if you can transfer the books to iTunes/your computer. Once they are on the computer, you can then send them on. And, as long as they are DRM-free, they can be read on other devices.

Marilyn

OP
A

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't mail books from iBooks. The books are in .epub format and iBooks is programmed to not allow them to be mailed (usually, the .epubs that are placed into iBooks are coded for security reasons).

The only thing I can suggest is plugging the iPad into iTunes and see if you can transfer the books to iTunes/your computer. Once they are on the computer, you can then send them on. And, as long as they are DRM-free, they can be read on other devices.

Marilyn
Thank you, I will try that.

Most reactions

Latest posts