What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone would be able to shine a light on my little problem, because it is starting to get on my nerves...

I've Jailbroken my little iPad, and having fun playing around with it. I was trying to send a PDF manual I have on my computer to the iPad via SSH.

Now for my dilemma...I dont know where to send it in order for iBooks to find it and display it! Furthermore, Winnie the Pooh is nowhere to be found in the file system! :confused:

Can someone point me to the directory iBook uses to store its content?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved your post to the jail breaking section of the Forum because I think it will receive better attention there.

Tim

OP
Fr0st

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh...
I didn't realise I was at the wrong section!
Please feel free to move it. :eek:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Help section was a perfectly fine place to put the post but since your question relates to a jail broken iPad I thought it would be better in that section. I've left a permanent redirect in the Help section too, so - in effect - it's in both the Help and Hacking sections!!

I'm sure you'll get some feedback from members - or our own resident jail breaking guru Leigh (f4780y) soon.

Have a great day

Tim

OP
Fr0st

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update:

Found the directory under /var/mobile/Media/Books , however...

When opening iBooks, it doesn't seem to find it. It appears in the file system, but doesn't show on the app. *scratches chin*

I'll continue testing with other files and see what I come up with, and update this post accordingly.

OP
Fr0st

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update:
Ok seems like I got all my directories mixed up! :(
Because even pictures files don't show up on the Photos app!

Grrrrrrrr! :mad:

I don't understand...it shows up in my file structure! Maybe I need to associate it to open with a certain app? Like in a terminal on a computer?

I'm starting to reach my wits end....:(

Will keep updating, but would also appreciate any help sent this way! :D

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Launch iTunes and then click the Books library in the left column. Drag the book into the iTunes window to add it to your library. (If you don't see the Books library, open iTunes Preferences. In the General tab, click the "Books" checkbox to enable it.)

Then sync....should work...or do you want to accomplish this without iTunes?

OP
Fr0st

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Launch iTunes and then click the Books library in the left column. Drag the book into the iTunes window to add it to your library. (If you don't see the Books library, open iTunes Preferences. In the General tab, click the "Books" checkbox to enable it.)

Then sync....should work...or do you want to accomplish this without iTunes?

Firstly, thank you for that reply! However, I am trying to send these files wirelessly, and as a result of that, don't use the USB cable and therefore cannot use iTunes. :(

I'm trying to find the right directory to send iBooks, pictures, songs, etc... Via SSH.

Although I do appreciate your effort in trying to help me. :)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fr0st said:
Firstly, thank you for that reply! However, I am trying to send these files wirelessly, and as a result of that, don't use the USB cable and therefore cannot use iTunes. :(

I'm trying to find the right directory to send iBooks, pictures, songs, etc... Via SSH.

FileApp pro?
Just use ifile to copy the file to the /applications/fileapp pro/documents folder.
Then with fileApp pro from the app store in (folder view) touch the ePub/PDF and hold it down until you get an Action Menu-like interface with "Rename" and "Open in" commands and then use "open in" to iBooks. And now it's in my PDF section of iBooks on the shelf.
Hope that helps...

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fr0st said:

OUTL4W said:
FileApp pro?
Just use ifile to copy the file to the /applications/fileapp pro/documents folder.
Then with fileApp pro from the app store in (folder view) touch the ePub/PDF and hold it down until you get an Action Menu-like interface with "Rename" and "Open in" commands and then use "open in" to iBooks. And now it's in my PDF section of iBooks on the shelf.
Hope that helps...

Just curious if you manged to get this to work? I have on several attempts.....with FileApp pro

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you get the PDF onto the iPad, use ifile (available from Cydia for free) and tap on it. It should ask you if you want to open it with iBooks.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm sure you'll get some feedback from members - or our own resident jail breaking guru Leigh (f4780y) soon.

Have a great day

Tim

Come on Tim! I have told you this a million times! There are other gurus in the hacking section! :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Indeed there are and I will now pass the really difficult questions to you! :D

You know I have no idea about JB....:(

Tim

OP
Fr0st

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mwahahaha*cough*haha.....

iFile worked like a charm! I knew I was missing something! Just didn't know what exactly...of course you need some sort of file manager ( or at least the dependancies in the package) to view and display a file! *Face palm*

Thank you Outl4w for those suggestions! Thanks Tim for tue redirection to the right section! And last -and certainly not least Greywolf for getting me on the right track!

Pandora! Gimme that box of yours! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions