What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibooks 3.1.1

Forrest Trenholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,
New to forum and to the iPad. I have been using Macs since the early 1990's and just recently decided to pick up an old iPad 1. I was aware that Apple was not supporting this any longer (but they should be)

I got a 64GB wifi 3G in great condition, the PO wiped everything off the machine as expected.

My problem is loading in Apps. I heard that the App Store will recognize that if an app won't work on iOS 5.1.1 it will let you download an older version, but all I get is a prompt that I need to update the iOS.

Right now I'm trying to get ibooks and having no luck, tried thru my iMac, it downloads v3.2.

-Forrest

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to download the latest compatable version of an app for your iPad 1, you had to have previously purchased the app. You then go to your App Store purchased page and tap the download button. If the app supports the feature, you'll see a pop up asking if you want to download the latest compatable version of the app. Agree, and the download will start. If you've never purchased or downloaded the app before, this option is not available to you. Here's the Apple Support page. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5919

OP
F

Forrest Trenholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to download the latest compatable version of an app for your iPad 1, you had to have previously purchased the app. You then go to your App Store purchased page and tap the download button. If the app supports the feature, you'll see a pop up asking if you want to download the latest compatable version of the app. Agree, and the download will start. If you've never purchased or downloaded the app before, this option is not available to you. Here's the Apple Support page. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5919

What if it is free, like ibooks is?
thanks, Forrest

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something that might work. Go to your Mac and open iTunes, then open the iTunes Store. Now open the App Store and find and download the iBooks app. Once downloaded, go to your iPad and see if the iBooks app now appears in your App Store purchased list. If it does, attempt to download it. If the popup about downloading the latest compatible version appears, agree and start the download.

Let us know if this works.

OP
F

Forrest Trenholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's something that might work. Go to your Mac and open iTunes, then open the iTunes Store. Now open the App Store and find and download the iBooks app. Once downloaded, go to your iPad and see if the iBooks app now appears in your App Store purchased list. If it does, attempt to download it. If the popup about downloading the latest compatible version appears, agree and start the download.

Let us know if this works.
I tried that. The Mac downloads the latest version of ibooks. 3.3 which will not run on 5.1. It does not appear in my purchased list.

Now I was able to get Grageband on the iPad by downloading on the iMac, and I'm not sure exactly what I did because I just kept trying things.

I have two different apple id's, one for the iMac, one for iPad. Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks, Forrest

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried that. The Mac downloads the latest version of ibooks. 3.3 which will not run on 5.1. It does not appear in my purchased list.

Now I was able to get Grageband on the iPad by downloading on the iMac, and I'm not sure exactly what I did because I just kept trying things.

I have two different apple id's, one for the iMac, one for iPad. Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks, Forrest
Apps are tied to the Apple ID that was used to download them. That is why an app downloaded on your iMac with one Apple ID will not show up on the purchased list on your iPad which is connected with your other Apple ID. Sign out of the App Store on your iPad and sign back in with the Apple ID you use on your iMac. The iBooks app should show up in your purchased list. Then try downloading the latest compatable version.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it worked with my iMac apple id. (?)
Thanks for the help.
-Forrest
Thanks for letting us know that we could help. It's always nice to hear about the successes.

This may help others with the same problem.

BTW, make sure to switch back to your iPad Apple ID in order to update apps that were downloaded to your iPad using that Apple ID.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, make sure to switch back to your iPad Apple ID in order to update apps that were downloaded to your iPad using that Apple ID.
That's not necessary. To update apps that were downloaded with a different Apple ID, all you have to do is enter that Apple ID's password - a popup will appear where you have to enter it.

OP
F

Forrest Trenholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know that we could help. It's always nice to hear about the successes.

This may help others with the same problem.

I am a bit bewildered right now, as the iPad seems pretty un-apple, I have had it for 2 days and wanted to smash it this morning, by this afternoon I was reading a book, checking my email and using the web and fooling with Garageband in a hammock in the backyard and really enjoying it.

The worst part of it however is that I bought it to use as a portfolio tool as I just got laid off, I made some very nice Web Gallery's out of Photoshop and was stunned when I found out the iPad has no "Flash" support. But it is a keeper, and maybe someday I'll get a new one.
Thanks.
-Forrest

OP
F

Forrest Trenholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's not necessary. To update apps that were downloaded with a different Apple ID, all you have to do is enter that Apple ID's password - a popup will appear where you have to enter it.

When I first started it up, you're prompted you need to make some decisions, email, I was wondering if using the same address as I use for my iMac as the iPad. (I really don't like multiple email address's) And then of course the App store wants a apple id. I wondered if I should use the iMac's or make up a new one. I made up a new one. But so far I have only been able to download apps using the iMacs apple id. Garageband came via a download to my iMacs iTunes and then I dragged it over to the iPad. Maybe the procedure will sink in and make sense, but right now it seems pretty odd.
Thanks,
-Forrest

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am a bit bewildered right now, as the iPad seems pretty un-apple, I have had it for 2 days and wanted to smash it this morning, by this afternoon I was reading a book, checking my email and using the web and fooling with Garageband in a hammock in the backyard and really enjoying it.

The worst part of it however is that I bought it to use as a portfolio tool as I just got laid off, I made some very nice Web Gallery's out of Photoshop and was stunned when I found out the iPad has no "Flash" support. But it is a keeper, and maybe someday I'll get a new one.
Thanks.
-Forrest

Purchasing an iPad 1 is the equivalent of purchasing a 10 year old computer. It won't run the current OS, and it won't be compatible with most current apps. The mobile device upgrade/market has been moving fast, more than twice as fast as the desktop/laptop market.

Hold in mind the iPad 1 was the very first of a new kind of tablet. It was a conservative bit of hardware. The next year they doubled the RAM, and again the year after that. Pretty much every other performance aspect of the iPad line has doubled every year since the first model.

On the bright side I think the newest models are set to have a much longer useable life cycle. The iPad 2 is still usable with the current OS, and will get at least one more update with iOS 8; not that I recommend anyone purchase an iPad 2 at this point. I wouldn't purchase anything less than an iPad 3, no matter how good the deal.

I like to keep up to date (when I can afford it) but I think my iPad Air will be with me for at least two years, maybe longer. It feels like a mature product. On the other hand, I haven't seen the next generation iPad yet. Apple could still tempt my gadget greedy little heart. :)

I realize the lack of support and difficulty in getting new apps is a disappointment; but that's the risk we take when buying older stuff. It's not that it's useless, just that the gap between what was possible and what is currently possible can be frustrating.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I first started it up, you're prompted you need to make some decisions, email, I was wondering if using the same address as I use for my iMac as the iPad. (I really don't like multiple email address's) And then of course the App store wants a apple id. I wondered if I should use the iMac's or make up a new one. I made up a new one. But so far I have only been able to download apps using the iMacs apple id. Garageband came via a download to my iMacs iTunes and then I dragged it over to the iPad. Maybe the procedure will sink in and make sense, but right now it seems pretty odd.
Thanks,
-Forrest

It would be best to decide which Apple ID you want to keep, and use just that one. Since you've already downloaded and or purchased apps and iTunes content, it would be best use the one that has the most content. With an emphasis on paid content.

While it is possible to manage two Apple ID's, it's confusing, and better avoided; unless you need an iTunes account in more than one country, in which case it's the only way.

OP
F

Forrest Trenholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purchasing an iPad 1 is the equivalent of purchasing a 10 year old computer. It won't run the current OS, and it won't be compatible with most current apps. The mobile device upgrade/market has been moving fast, more than twice as fast as the desktop/laptop market.

Hold in mind the iPad 1 was the very first of a new kind of tablet. It was a conservative bit of hardware. The next year they doubled the RAM, and again the year after that. Pretty much every other performance aspect of the iPad line has doubled every year since the first model.

On the bright side I think the newest models are set to have a much longer useable life cycle. The iPad 2 is still usable with the current OS, and will get at least one more update with iOS 8; not that I recommend anyone purchase an iPad 2 at this point. I wouldn't purchase anything less than an iPad 3, no matter how good the deal.

I like to keep up to date (when I can afford it) but I think my iPad Air will be with me for at least two years, maybe longer. It feels like a mature product. On the other hand, I haven't seen the next generation iPad yet. Apple could still tempt my gadget greedy little heart. :)

I realize the lack of support and difficulty in getting new apps is a disappointment; but that's the risk we take when buying older stuff. It's not that it's useless, just that the gap between what was possible and what is currently possible can be frustrating.

The reality is that it is a 4 year old computer not 10. I knew it was unsupported when I bought it. I have always found buying an old computer is never worth it. But what is next an unsupported device in 2 years, the answer is yes. I started on a Mac CX on the early 90's and although technology is advancing and mind blowing, I find Apple becoming more like Microsoft, lacking vision.

I enjoy the iPad I bought, everything about it seems new and exciting. I really bought as a tool to show my Graphics portfolio in Job Interviews (recently laid off).

Maybe when I get back to work I'll buy a new one. (I still don't own a "smart" phone)

Most reactions

Latest posts