ibook reader update deleted half of the books

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by mwhoody, Nov 16, 2013.

1. mwhoody

mwhoody
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My wife's ipad 2 had an ibook app update a few days ago. After it updated she noticed all her pdf files were gone and half of her books. What happened? Big job to get them all back now. Did anyone else have this problem?

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, but I do hate the new look. Only gripe I have about iOS 7 now.

3. mwhoody

mwhoody
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So my wife wanted to move some books around to new folders. How do you make a new folder? My wife hates the new look as well

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Tap "Collections" (1), then "+New Collection" (2): image-593900229.jpg Now write the name of the new folder, then tap "Done" (2 possibilities): image-2479870269.jpg

5. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what to do to get the pdf files back but to go back to the place you got them.

Also as for the purchased books you can always download them back in the purchased list found on the collections section.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I quit putting my PDF into iBooks because, last I tried, iBooks would not back them up and the only way to get them out is to email them to yourself.

Now, if you bought any books from apple, you can redownload those. But I quit buying books from apple because you can only read them on an idevice. If you buy from amazon, you can read your stuff just about on any device. I love my iPads, but I don't love being locked in.

7. mwhoody

mwhoody
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes,this is what I have been trying to do but, for some reason when I hit "Collections" and then scroll down and tap "+New Collection" nothing happens. The "+New Collection" disappears and the keyboard does not pop up.
    Also, when I scroll down to "+New Collection" it is at the very very bottom of the drop down menu. I mean at the very bottom. Between the last book collection name and the "+New Collection" tab there are 28 empty slots.
    I'm lost
    Thank you

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    What happens when you tap "Edit" instead of "+ New Collection"? Is there a possibility to delete the blank slots?
    Did you add new collections on another Apple device?

#8 J. A., Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. mwhoody

mwhoody
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes I could delete the blank slots using your method.
    It's going to take quite a while because when I delete one slot the ibooks app closed and goes back to the desktop. But I will continue deleting
    And, no, I don't have another device with new collections
    Thank you

I deleted approx 10 slots (or I thought I did) but there are still 28 empty slots
    I guess something is wrong here

#9 mwhoody, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Try the usual fixes, if something isn't behaving as it should:
    Restart, reset and force close apps. Perhaps one of these will help.

Just in case you don't know the procedures (sorry, if you already know what to do):
    Restart: turn off your device, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.
    Reset: press and hold both Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad start on it's own.
    Force close apps: double tap Home button to reveal multitask bar. Then swipe thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen.