iBook in trouble

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Seadog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Things do not look good for ibooks. They have the same number of books they had in the beginning, and half of them are Guttenburg project titles. Amazon has a much better selection vailable. If Apple doesn't find publishers soon, the whole app may hit the dirt.

#1 Seadog, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. 05GT

05GT
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Yep,
    While iBooks may look nicer as an app. I'm sticking with Kindle for my eBook purchases because there are a TON more titles. Apple needs to step their game up.

3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I agree that the iBooks presentation is pretty nice and I actually use it a lot for most of the free stuff, but Amazon is the incumbent and they are going to be tough to beat as far as content. Even the two big brick & mortar stores can't come close with their books in electronic format in terms of selection.

4. dp118

dp118
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Now that I've had my iPad since May and have tried every ebook app, including Apple's, I've settled into purchasing from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Both of their apps have been upgraded to include ibook's features and they have better pricing on a much larger selection than their competitors. Try B & N's new Pubit site to get some great deals on a wide variety of titles.

5. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    My self , i have many free eBook (Gutenberg) and also from many other source all i download in ePub and transfer in my Ibooks with iTunes so far for me the best is this app’s i have try many include Stanza and GoodReader in my eyes no one have his level when i have some good book in PDF , Calibre transform it for me and Voila

6. arshield

arshield
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I had kindle first and I share my kindle account with about 10 people, so there is a clear incentive to stick with the kinde store. (That and the library of about 500 kindle books now)

7. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    any one can share some free ebooks?

8. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I agree totally. The iBooks app is great, but the content agreements are total fail.

9. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have been a long time Kindle user and when I got the iPad I started looking for books on iBooks. To date I have not found a single book I was looking for on iBooks. So I no longer even look there, although to Apple's credit I did sell my Kindle DX.

I use Stanza for most of my free book reading on iPad. They have a lot of great sources to get books from. I personally use Feedbooks a lot as a Sherlock Holmes fan...

10. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    which is why I don't use it for anything but PDFs. I have gone on to iBooks numerous times to find a book I wanted and didn't find it. Seems like if its not on NY Times best seller list its not there...useless.