1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iBook in trouble

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Seadog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Things do not look good for ibooks. They have the same number of books they had in the beginning, and half of them are Guttenburg project titles. Amazon has a much better selection vailable. If Apple doesn't find publishers soon, the whole app may hit the dirt.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. 05GT

05GT iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yep,
    While iBooks may look nicer as an app. I'm sticking with Kindle for my eBook purchases because there are a TON more titles. Apple needs to step their game up.
  3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I agree that the iBooks presentation is pretty nice and I actually use it a lot for most of the free stuff, but Amazon is the incumbent and they are going to be tough to beat as far as content. Even the two big brick & mortar stores can't come close with their books in electronic format in terms of selection.
  4. dp118

dp118 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Now that I've had my iPad since May and have tried every ebook app, including Apple's, I've settled into purchasing from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Both of their apps have been upgraded to include ibook's features and they have better pricing on a much larger selection than their competitors. Try B & N's new Pubit site to get some great deals on a wide variety of titles.
  5. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My self , i have many free eBook (Gutenberg) and also from many other source all i download in ePub and transfer in my Ibooks with iTunes so far for me the best is this app’s i have try many include Stanza and GoodReader in my eyes no one have his level when i have some good book in PDF , Calibre transform it for me and Voila
  6. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had kindle first and I share my kindle account with about 10 people, so there is a clear incentive to stick with the kinde store. (That and the library of about 500 kindle books now)
  7. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    any one can share some free ebooks?
  8. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I agree totally. The iBooks app is great, but the content agreements are total fail.
  9. wrecklass

wrecklass iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have been a long time Kindle user and when I got the iPad I started looking for books on iBooks. To date I have not found a single book I was looking for on iBooks. So I no longer even look there, although to Apple's credit I did sell my Kindle DX.

I use Stanza for most of my free book reading on iPad. They have a lot of great sources to get books from. I personally use Feedbooks a lot as a Sherlock Holmes fan...
  10. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    which is why I don't use it for anything but PDFs. I have gone on to iBooks numerous times to find a book I wanted and didn't find it. Seems like if its not on NY Times best seller list its not there...useless.
  11. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    iBook's content is even worse as you go out of the US. In Canada there's half the choices because of regional restrictions. Not looking good so far...
  12. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Publishers saw what happened to the music industry. In their interests to divide and conquer.....
    That said nothing beats a good book in the hand. Presentation, smell, texture as well as content. Guess I'm too old for the digital revolution.
  13. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What? How old are you?
    I'm 53 and I love reading on the iPad. I just spent the last two hours reading on it and enjoying every bit of it ...
  14. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am 37 and love the digital revolution. But I love it more on Kindle. Apple just does not seem to get reading to me.
  15. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    So wasteful. I bought my gf an iPad so she would stop buying magazines.
  16. CrunchyPoodleMama

CrunchyPoodleMama iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm, I have no problem being "bi"... iBooks is my reading app of choice, and I use Kindle for anything not available on iBooks. (Thinking about getting a Nook, not Kindle, for more extensive reading sessions.)
  17. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    At present the iBook Store is not a big selling point for the iPad. Initially it was but with all of the other uses that people have come up with for it, iBooks seems to be the last thing that is considered(if at all) when someone is purchasing their first iPad.
  18. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The editor scare Apple and don’t want to loose their monopoly, but sooner or later they will have to change … we are on the electronic era … Apple clearly state the future is in one central device (gaming, music, web experience, reading) … why all editor prefer Amazon mostly because the Kindle is locked on one thing so Amazon should follow them and they can fix the price … in the opposite side Apple want cheap public price like they do in Music field … the Pandora box is one yet … we just have to wait some independent editor jump in the game and publish their result … from the moment they will see this market escape to them they will turn their face to Apple (this is my guess)
  19. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In this case you have the players wrong. Amazon has 80 to 90 percent of the sales in the ebook market and the publishers have been trying to use Apple to break Amazon's $9.99 top price standard. If you looked a year ago there were very few books in the kindle store above $9.99. Now it is about 10-15% of Amazon's books. And 5 of the 6 big publishers forced Amazon to allow them to directly price the books instead of Amazon pricing the books. In this case Apple is playing to the publishers and keeping the price higher. But it has not played out quite as the publishers hoped. Ibook sales have been lousy and Apple is not the player that the publishers had hoped for, and people are not buying books over $9.99 as much as what the publishers had hoped.
  20. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    iBooks was a gamble when the iPad was launched.
    I suspect it was emphasized initially as a novel selling point to stress the versatility of the iPad, but now there is such a range of apps, it's importance has declined.
    Of course if the iBooks store had really taken off like itunes I'm sure Mr Jobs would have been pleased and prepared to exploit it more fully.

That said 99% of my reading on the iPad is not in iBooks. For late night reading I prefer the iPod or the real thing.

In my defense I should add that I once worked in an antiquarian bookstore so I'm sadly infected.