What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook author and keynote

Shimmykimmie54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to using iBooks and keynote and I have a question.

Basically I did not have access to a Mac but created a tour using keynote for my workplace in a museum, as part of my MA dissertation.
The tour uses hyperlinks to take the user to different parts of the building and gives them information about the history of the building using text, video & audio clips. The problem that I discovered was that the keynote file could be edited by visitors accidentally so I was informed that I could create an iBook instead which would prevent editing and still contain the multimedia.

I've finally managed to get my hands on a mac computer and I was wondering if anyone knows whether I can perform a short cut and drag my keynote slides into iBook author? Or would I have to start from scratch?

I hope I've made sense in describing what I'm trying to achieve. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Best Option:

If you are using iOS 7 on the iPad, OS X Mavericks on the Mac, and the latest version of the Keynote app on both; you can simply copy and paste elements directly between the two.

Things that worked:

• The entire slide (copy&pasting from the thumbnail view in Keynote)
  • Images
  • Text

Shapes did not work, though if they have any text in them that will copy to iBooks Author.

This may or may not work with older versions of the OS's and apps. I can't test, having upgraded everything.

Second Best Option:

Using either the OS X or iOS version of Keynote, export the vile as a PDF. Then using Preview (included PDF viewer/editor) on the Mac you can copy paste slides, and in some cases individual elements of the slides, to iBooks Author. It is similar too, but not as versatile as direct copy&paste from Keynote.

Other option, maybe:

The newsiest version of Keynote on OS X can export a Keynote as a series of slide images in jpg or other coming formats. I'm not sure if earlier versions will do this, but would be surprised if they did not. Point this at a folder and you'll get one image per slide (and/or build) from the presentation.

All in all, any of these options is better than a full on import into iBooks Author; in my opinion at any rate. You'll want to optimize the presentation for your new format, and that will be easier to do page by page with resources in hand than trying to massage it into shape afterwards. iBooks Author does not lend itself well to after the fact organization.

OP
S

Shimmykimmie54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I will give those a try to see if it works.

Will the multimedia still work if the slide is copied/pasted from one to the other or will that have to be reinserted?

Kim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Copying entire slides only results in a picture of the slide being imported. Copying individual movies/videos results in a picture of the cover frame.

Looks like you'll have to re-import any audio/video media manually from the original source.

Most reactions

Latest posts