What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iAnnotate

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is no native software for the iPad that will annotate on top of Word, Excel, or Power Point. Most people who want to do this convert their documents to PDF and then use something like iAnnotate to mark up the result. There are a slew of good PDF annotation apps in the App Store. I like PDF Expert and GoodReader myself, but lots of people like iAnnotate; college students especially, if comments in this forum are any indication.

I use PDF Converter to convert a wide variety of documents and other stuff to PDF. Like PDF annotation apps, there are several good choices in this category.

Another possibility, depending on what exactly you are wanting to do:

CloudOn and OnLive are two cloud services that provide virtual MS Office apps. Because they are MS Office apps, not third party compatible apps, they may provide the built in commenting/annotation features of the Office Suite. I don't know, but since they are both free for basic accounts it may be worth your time to check them out.

Because they are run on remote servers, you must have a good internet connection to use them.

Reaction score
Hello Darrel,

My name is Andrew, I work for Branchfire the makers of iAnnotate PDF.

twerppoet is correct that most individuals that want to markup documents convert them to PDF first. We've help automate this process within iAnnotate PDF. Once you've signed up for a free Branchfire account you can click any word (.doc) or powerpoint (.ppt) file and have a pdf version of the file created for you. We do this using our cloud-based processing service, so you will need an internet connection when you want to convert files.

If you have any questions let me know,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
U

upperscore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks andrew. I am quite interested in iannotate just like a few others in my staff. However, can you have a facility giving me rights for a trial period of at least a week. I could then tryout myself.

Cheer
Darrel

Reaction score
Darrel,

Unfortunately we do not currently have a trail version of iAnnotate PDF on the market. Our Android version (which does not have all the features of the iOS version) is free on the Google play store, but is not necessary a good way to evaluate the iOS version.

Andrew

bestpi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Andrew,
One of the things I do with iannotate is to track presentations received from speaker for the shows I work on. (Conferences at hotels worldwide) Iannotate is a godsend. I get the presentation and rubber stamp it. Something odd the technician needs to know, I make a note. It is the reason i bought my first apple product. My question is this, is there a way to resize one of the library stamps and to save it to that size? Have you also considered the possibility of rotating the stamp like 45 degrees for example?

An issue I am having is finding what format of picture I must have to make a custom stamp with an invisible background. It seems that in jpg or png it makes the background white.
Thanks again for a great product.
John

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Darrel,

Unfortunately we do not currently have a trail version of iAnnotate PDF on the market. Our Android version (which does not have all the features of the iOS version) is free on the Google play store, but is not necessary a good way to evaluate the iOS version.

Andrew

iAnnotate PDF is one of my top three indispensable apps for getting my job done. It is especially useful for signing and sending forms. I've given demos of it for my colleagues, (and I did submit a review of it to iTunes a while back).

Thank you for a great app!

bestpi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, I have an iannotate issue. When I make comments and pin them, they move into a pile when I leave the page. When I return I have to touch each comment for the balloon to leave the pile and return to it's respective comment. Ipad retina, stock (not jailbroke)

bestpi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had another question ut it looks like this is an abandoned thread. Just in case, my question is this. I have i annotate for my ipad 4, do I have to buy a second edition for my android note 2 or can I get it on the second device gratis. I was told that you could put it on five machines if you owned them and they were all on the same branchfire account. I only have one apple device. This was told to me by a friend that may not have been correct in her assumption of being able to put it on more devices than one. I haven't been able to find anything on that and she may have been speculating, I don't know.

Can someone enlighten me?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had another question ut it looks like this is an abandoned thread. Just in case, my question is this. I have i annotate for my ipad 4, do I have to buy a second edition for my android note 2 or can I get it on the second device gratis. I was told that you could put it on five machines if you owned them and they were all on the same branchfire account. I only have one apple device. This was told to me by a friend that may not have been correct in her assumption of being able to put it on more devices than one. I haven't been able to find anything on that and she may have been speculating, I don't know.

Can someone enlighten me?

Ordinarily, no - just because you have an app for one system (Apple), that doesn't mean you can get it on another (Android). The mobile app market is different than that for computers - you can't download a program and then install it on different mobile devices. So, I think your friend was just speculating. To be 100% sure, I recommend you check with the iAnnotate developers to see if it is possible...

However.

When I was researching this question, I was at the iAnnotate website and saw that an Android version is available on the Google Play store for free. According to the developer site, the Google Play app is "Free. Introductory price. Full version of iAnnotate for Android coming soon.

So, you may just be lucky in that you asked this question at the same time iAnnotate is being offered to Android/Google Play as a free introduction.

Doesn't negate the answer that you can't get a mobile app for free on one system because you've purchased it for another - but, in this case, it doesn't matter as its free for Android. So, try it and see?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts