What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to order the Apple TV ~ Now!

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am going to sit down and play with my ATV now. I have yet to do that! My daughter said that at times last night, the movie would freeze and then NF has some message about it.

Is that ATV, NF or my internet?

Do you know what the message said? i's not likely the ATV and the fact that you got some sort of message from Netflix leads me to think it might be them. You can do a test on your iPad to see how fast your connection is, you'ii need to D/L an app from iTunes (there are several free ones) if you stay near the ATV when you run the test you can be reasonably sure the result will be indicative of what the ATV is getting.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am currently trying to have access to my USB HDD(1TB), plugged into my Apple Extreme(router), without the need of my Mac being on, to browse my Media on Apple TV2, with XBMC.

Because i don't have an NAS setup.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty cool, except we have problems in the UK accessing hulu. I have xbmc setup to allow me to watch iplayer, itv player, 4od and tvcatchup, my ATV2 is now a fully fledged tv and can watch pretty much any Internet stream!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

So ~ I'm thinkin you should fly here to Cali and JB my ATV. :)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know what the message said? i's not likely the ATV and the fact that you got some sort of message from Netflix leads me to think it might be them. You can do a test on your iPad to see how fast your connection is, you'ii need to D/L an app from iTunes (there are several free ones) if you stay near the ATV when you run the test you can be reasonably sure the result will be indicative of what the ATV is getting.

I can't recall, babe. I will pay attention next time!

i am currently trying to have access to my USB HDD(1TB), plugged into my Apple Extreme(router), without the need of my Mac being on, to browse my Media on Apple TV2, with XBMC.

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about here. But I do wish you luck! lol!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about here. But I do wish you luck! lol!

Extra storage, accessed thru network!!!

ok, let me break it down for you.....jailbreak required for ATV....there is other media players on ATV, but XBMC stands out(for me).

system_small.jpg

i currently have access to any media files that is on my Mac(on my network) or you can use an External HDD(hard disk drive), or preferably a NAS (Network-attached storage) ...by using XBMC on Apple TV, where i can browse a file list of my media, because i added the source for it on XBMC.

nevermind it looks like windows, this is how it would look on ATV2.(just using a screenshot of the webs).
how-to-add-network-drive-nas-storage-or-windows-share-in-xbmc-2.jpg

how-to-add-network-drive-nas-storage-or-windows-share-in-xbmc-4.jpg

now this.....

What i was trying to say, i only have a 1TB external HDD(USB), that is not NAS storage with an ethernet port to have its own IP connection, so that i can connect to it with my Mac off,.... but with my Mac on only, because my Mac allows my HDD to be visible on my network, which i can access using my ATV.

Because i don't have a NAS setup.....Network-Attached Storage (NAS) : Drives & Storage - Best Buy Canada

Network-attached storage (NAS) is hard disk storage that is set up with its own network address, rather than being attached to the computer that is serving applications to a network's workstation users. The network-attached storage device is attached to a local area network (typically, an Ethernet network) and assigned an IP address.

The NAS doesn't have to be that big for home use.
nas-solution.jpg

NAS-as-a-home-music-center.jpg

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score

so basically i am trying to do this, with a normal External HDD(no ethernet port, only USB), without buying a NAS storage drive......and i am succeeding, just need to do 1 more configuration....i am seeing it, just can't browse the files yet(Mac is off), external HDD plugged in(to router) and ON.

With NAS, because it is issued an IP address, you can also have access to it on the road(password)....basically your own CLOUD!!!!
And have access to your files.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is all very interesting Poser, trying to get my head around it all though. I'll stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok.... well i got it going, i can now have access to my USB external hard drive, that is plugged in via USB to my Apple extreme router....with my Mac turned off.

just enable file sharing....and share disks over WAN.
gswTC_06.png

With ATV and XBMC, i can view any media type that is on my ext. hard drive, by just a few clicks..

example...
Good for ripping kids DVD's onto an external HDD, 1 or 2 TB's and have them immediately available for the kids to watch, without them touching or scratching the disc's. Still a simple way for parents to quickly find a Movie to play.

Music/videos/pictures.

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have any issues with Netflix at night? It seems that ours freezes starting at 7PM or after, pretty much every night. I think I am still on my free trial, hopefully.

Most reactions

Latest posts