What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

auld yin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Squirrel71 said:
It's not tedious at all. I go into settings on my iPhone, under Personal Hotspot, I flick the button to "on". I only had to put the security password in the iPad once. I tap "iPhone" under available networks, and I'm done. :confused:

So, please bear with an aging non-techie. I gave a 3G iPhone and a wi-fi/3G iPad. I've looked at the Settings on the phone but can't find anything resembling Personal Hotspot. Can you tell me where it is or is it only available on a 4G iPhone.
Thanks in anticipation,
AY.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
auld yin said:
So, please bear with an aging non-techie. I gave a 3G iPhone and a wi-fi/3G iPad. I've looked at the Settings on the phone but can't find anything resembling Personal Hotspot. Can you tell me where it is or is it only available on a 4G iPhone.
Thanks in anticipation,
AY.

Personal Hotspots are only available in iPhone 4s. Not older devices.

- Sent from my Highly-Personalized jailbroken iPad 2! :D

auld yin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
Personal Hotspots are only available in iPhone 4s. Not older devices.

Ta very much.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
For me, it has been absolutely worth every penny. I have a 1 hour commute to and from work every day and I use the iPad the whole time. I love being able to access the internet and take care of issues on the way to work where I am doing nothing else so that my first hour at work is not as hectic.

Secondly, at least in the area of the US I live, WIFI is hit or miss and there is no way to maintain a constant connection while moving around. 3G fills those gaps.

Thirdly is the built-in GPS. I have used it quite a few times to get around issues in traffic and just to get around. I have also used the iPad to do some Geocaching, which would be impossible without the extra BT GPS puck which, barely saves any money when compared to having the iPad with 3G.

The fact that I can stop and start the 3G billing with no fees for cancellation was the final selling point. In fact, it was more than a week after getting the iPad before I turned on 3G service.

I do not regret the extra $130 for the 3G model nor the $25/m for the service. Of course, I have a phone through work, so I don't pay for that at all making the $25/m a no-brainer.

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better to have than not

I have had my iPad w 3G for almost a year, and only bought the extra service ($15.00) ea. Three times, each while traveling. It has been great for gps, maps, directions, restaurants. And yes, I have an iPhone I can get that stuff on, but the big screen is far better, both for eyes and touch. Also some hotel wifi systems are a pain. Well worth the cost,though I generally live on wifi.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we must be very lucky in the UK as we get some great PAYG deals especially on T Mobile. I am currently using 3G which has only cost me £20 for 6 months, so it was a no brainer for me and the ability to be able to use iPad anywhere has been great.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Yes - I'm always amazed when I see the prices iPad users in the US have to pay. Why is there so little competition there? Like you, I get a great deal in the UK. There are numerous unlimited plans out there for just a few pounds a month. Then I read about US members with 250MB monthly plans at $20 and I think - what????!!! Are they really paying $20 for 250MB? Any cellular provider in the UK who offered that 'deal' would attract exactly zero customers!!

Tim

Tim,

The difference goes back to the way cell phones are sold in the US versus Europe. Our early reliance on CDMA networks meant that carriers could afford to heavily subsidize the initial purchase of a cell phone in return for locking a customer into a multi-year contract. We pay practically nothing for a cell phone (purchased from a carrier rather than a manufacturer) but in return, the competition between carriers is highly restricted.

In the long run US customers would be far better off paying full price for a phone and be able to change network carriers whenever they like while keeping the same phone. Competition would then drive down carrier charges. But the appeal of a heavily subsidized phone purchase in the US combined with the absence of regulation (i.e. The EU mandated GSM networks) means US customers pay through the nose for carrier service.

Even worse, the US pricing model of subsidized device purchases went away with the introduction of the 3G iPad. Unlike phones, US customers cannot purchase a heavily subsidized iPad from Verizon or AT&T. (Apple won't allow this approach.) At best, a customer can purchase data services on a month-to-month basis. But since customers cannot easily opt for a different network carrier, there is virtually no competition.

(Technically a GSM iPad could be transferred to another network with the purchase of a different SIM card. However, the earlier model of carrier supplied subsidized phones prevents such networks from developing as an alternative for consumers.)

This is an example of the unintended consequences of a simplistic "free market" ideology as implemented in the US. By failing to clearly separate the purchase of devices (phones/tablets) from purchase of network services (as in Europe), the way is open for network carriers to avoid competition. With phones, the carriers recoup their subsidies of phone purchases with long term (high cost) contracts. With iPads, they don't even have to recoup a subsidy.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
°post truncated°

A really insightful explanation to the condition of mobile networking and it's pricing in the US. I feel US citizens should complain to someone about the lack of justice regarding these matters. I also feel that it is clear that the US should adopt the network pricing system already in place around the world. Ie. The pricing separation of the carrier service and the phone itself. I think this is why the carrier evolution in the US is stymied- it's the reason why people in the US have no choice but to accept the scrapping of the unlimited usage concept.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
°post truncated°

A really insightful explanation to the condition of mobile networking and it's pricing in the US. I feel US citizens should complain to someone about the lack of justice regarding these matters. I also feel that it is clear that the US should adopt the network pricing system already in place around the world. Ie. The pricing separation of the carrier service and the phone itself. I think this is why the carrier evolution in the US is stymied- it's the reason why people in the US have no choice but to accept the scrapping of the unlimited usage concept.

Unfortunately, trying to do something about the situation in the US faces what I'm sorry to say are probably insurmountable obstacles.

() The alliance of major carriers and phone manufacturers constitutes a powerful political coalition. In such situations an activist response on the part of government is called for to prevent what amounts to oligopoly outcomes. Unfortunately, that response is stymied by other factors, such as...

() The simplistic, mindless interpretation of "free market" principles by conservatives in the US. Having never actually read Adam Smith (except in the Classics Comic Book version), the assumption is that a free market can exist without government intervention. Any attempt to encourage true competition is denounced as government "interference."

() Consumers in the US have become accustomed to cheap cell phones, a condition that continues with smartphones. That, combined with American consumers' addiction to credit purchases means that there is likely to be strong resistance on the part of consumers to paying upfront for a cell phone. They'd rather pay (far more) for a phone and be locked into long-term contracts that allow carriers to recoup the subsidy they provide at purchase and much more.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I'm not saying that you should remove the subsidies altogether. Yes, there should be subsidies, but there should also be contract-free plans. Also, the quota allotted for the pricing set by the carriers are just outrageous! I mean, $25 for 250MB of data?! It's daylight robbery, I tell you. (That's right, I'm looking at you, AT&T!)

Most reactions