What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

photoaddict

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never be without 3G!!! I want to be connected to email and internet 24-7. When i am traveling, whatever...i dont want to be looking for wi-fi. It is well worth the extra money...especially AT&T

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would rather have a 3G/16GB iPad than a 64GB wifi only. No one knows when the 3G will be the only effective solution to connection. My 3G/Wifi/16GB is performing well. I am not missing anything.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto!

I got the 3G, I have wi fi at home but not at work, and when I travel, I do not want to pay $10/day for wireless at hotels...

I spent half of the year outside home and I need to be able to connect no matter how. Some places and some countries don't have the free Wifi. So I got the best of both worlds just when I need it.
Also my 3G connection is paid by the month so I can stop it at will.

There is an iPad model for anyone's needs, IMHorribleO. :D

MacRulerPad

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is interesting. I toyed with the 3G option, but decided that since I have a mobile contract anyway, I opted for wifi only. Trying to use the Internet on my mobile is hopeless, and expensive. My plan gives me 1 gb a month, pretty useless for any serious use. I would like to know what it's costing users with 3G iPads per month? My mobile contract is up for renewal soon, and they will offer me the latest iPhone for "free" which of course it isn't by the time you take into account the cost of the plan over a year.

This of course means I would have to buy a 3G iPad 2.... On the face of it, a bit excessive but will watch this thread with interest, trouble is I will still need a mobile contract of some kind.... Did I make a mistake by not buying the 3G version?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
What do you think, Jeff? Are you having problems finding hot spots when you are out? Thru AT&T I can pay either $25 a month or $15 a month, depending on how much data I want ~ is that the correct word...data? lol!

It's not so much that, it's the damn expense here in the uk I flit from studio to studio, all wifi connected, and of course, no problems at home. It's when I go out in the sticks ( have a very elderly mother in Cornwall, where the word wifi seems to mean a bad smell :) ) and up into the nether regions of North Wales where everyone has a 56k copper wire connection.

It's not that much of an issue, but if I could get the kind of plans you can get in the US I would have bought the 3G version. Sadly, like petrol Aka gas :) we pay a fortune here.

Guess I should stayed in New York! :)

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
It's not so much that, it's the damn expense here in the uk I flit from studio to studio, all wifi connected, and of course, no problems at home. It's when I go out in the sticks ( have a very elderly mother in Cornwall, where the word wifi seems to mean a bad smell :) ) and up into the nether regions of North Wales where everyone has a 56k copper wire connection.

It's not that much of an issue, but if I could get the kind of plans you can get in the US I would have bought the 3G version. Sadly, like petrol Aka gas :) we pay a fortune here.

Guess I should stayed in New York! :)

I think the opposite.

I too am in the UK and there are some great PAYG deals to be had for the iPad. I am currently only paying £20 for 6 months unlimited (FUP 1GB/month) data via a T-Mobile phone booster and it performs really well. There is another offer that they do which is even cheaper, so I may look at that when my current booster runs out.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
I think the opposite.

I too am in the UK and there are some great PAYG deals to be had for the iPad. I am currently only paying £20 for 6 months unlimited (FUP 1GB/month) data via a T-Mobile phone booster and it performs really well. There is another offer that they do which is even cheaper, so I may look at that when my current booster runs out.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Hmm, I will give it some thought, but don't really want to buy another iPad yet :) perhaps I will wait until the 3 comes out.....:)

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the option to connect on 3G, and having an actual GPS chipset, are both huge pluses in my opinion - easily worth the upcharge.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I posted a comment in this thread last month, but thought I'd revisit it with some new information.

Yesterday we had a power failure in my area. It was out for almost an hour. I have an uninterruptible power supply for my computer, but it died after 15 minutes taking my WiFi router down... Now I'm sitting in a dark house with nothing to do.....

I turned on my 3G ipad and found that I still had access to the internet because my 3G carrier was still working. I could still send and receive e-mails and browse the net. That kept me busy until the power came back on. :)

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
I posted a comment in this thread last month, but thought I'd revisit it with some new information.

Yesterday we had a power failure in my area. It was out for almost an hour. I have an uninterruptible power supply for my computer, but it died after 15 minutes taking my WiFi router down... Now I'm sitting in a dark house with nothing to do.....

I turned on my 3G ipad and found that I still had access to the internet because my 3G carrier was still working. I could still send and receive e-mails and browse the net. That kept me busy until the power came back on. :)

I'm glad you you got your power back and in a timely manner.

I've had a lot of similar situations with the longest power outage being 20hrs. So cellular service comes in real handy for sure.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got permission to buy the 3 next year and I'm definitely having 64gb 3G, so yes, I'm on a roll!

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly! I got the the 64, wifi and 3G and never looked back. I know me and I would have regretted if I had gotten anything less.

SweetPoison has uttered the magic words right here. There is no "pointless" or "dumb" choice other than making a purchase choice that goes against who you are as a consumer. Like buying a four cylinder car when you know you have a six cylinder foot.

Many, many, many, many, many threads I read in this forum seem to have their root in someone either being disappointed or disillusioned after shelling out their hard earned sheckles for this or another device.

I have a wifi only 64 GB model and I thought about which one to get for months before i made a purchase. I literally took a week in my work life and used it to determine which would be the right device for me, knowing that I was making my iPad buy as much for work as for play.

I came up with:

1) I work from home 80% of the time.
2) The other 20% of the time I work in a court room where my iPad is a no-no.
3) I am a home body.
4) When I do go out, I go to places like the beach where no way am I leaving the iPad by itself while I go for a dip.
5) My income is XXXXXXXX
6) I don't want to feel pinched for storage space, so no skimping on that. I did it with my iPod Touch and regretted it.
7) I read, read, read, read, read. I don't really "surf."

Voila! 64GB, wifi only. I do not need a 3G service with its accompanying bill. But this formula is the formula that equals my need, not anyone else's. So my point is that the OP's question is answerable only by/to the OP him/herself. You have to first ask yourself, "Who am I as a consumer?"

Last edited:

Herrflik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am travelling every month so i have found the 3G on my iPad essential for when i dont want to pay ridiculous hotel wifi charges or if im somewhere with no wifi to get to my work (and also play on some apps :p). I hav ethe AT&T version so i just switch out the microsim depending on the country im in.

and like others have said with the GPS chip its great to find something to do when your bored our your mind on the road

Most reactions

Latest posts