What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want an ipad but...

iwantanipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys,

Heres the deal, I want an ipad but I have a couple concerns that I was hoping people could clear up. My first concern is that I dont have the money to get the 3g and pay for the monthly fee, especially since I have the first version of the droid. Is there a way to use my droids network on the ipad? I would prefer not to root it. Second, I have tried to look online but everything says something different, but is there going to be flash for ipad? I watch a lot of videos on the computer and that may be a factor. I have heard info about websites changing to html5 or something that allows videos on the ipad. Is this true? Also, I have about 9 gb of music on my itunes, a few gigs of pictures, and I expect to have apps, movies, and books. Will I be able to get a 16 gb ipad or will I be pressed for space? Lastly, I'm a college student and although I have a macbook, how easy is it to take notes with the pages application? For my college we have a college gmail account, and I also have my own regular gmail account. Can I sync both of these with the email app? I know not one person has all the answers so I appreciate everyones responses even if you just know one question. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I aint sure how i did it, or if it was just an addition included in latest android update, but I know have a 3g hotspot app on my droid 2. Im not rooted so I imagine you already have it or its available in the market.

How you make it so your ipad work with it, I dont know.

As it is now, there will never be flash on the ipad, Steve Jobs seems to have some kind of personal arguement with adobe people. However, you can access your desktop at home, and use the browswer there to watch flash.

Id recommend at least getting the 32 gig, but thats just me. 16 gig just seems way too small for any kind of computer.

Last edited:

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys,

Heres the deal, I want an ipad but I have a couple concerns that I was hoping people could clear up. My first concern is that I dont have the money to get the 3g and pay for the monthly fee, especially since I have the first version of the droid. Is there a way to use my droids network on the ipad? I would prefer not to root it. Second, I have tried to look online but everything says something different, but is there going to be flash for ipad? I watch a lot of videos on the computer and that may be a factor. I have heard info about websites changing to html5 or something that allows videos on the ipad. Is this true? Also, I have about 9 gb of music on my itunes, a few gigs of pictures, and I expect to have apps, movies, and books. Will I be able to get a 16 gb ipad or will I be pressed for space? Lastly, I'm a college student and although I have a macbook, how easy is it to take notes with the pages application? For my college we have a college gmail account, and I also have my own regular gmail account. Can I sync both of these with the email app? I know not one person has all the answers so I appreciate everyones responses even if you just know one question. Thanks.

You can create a hot spot for your iPad but you would have to buy the iPad that's capable of receiving 3G and if you get it from Verizon they are going to say great, which data plan do you want?

I don't know how you intend to carry around your iPad but if you want to use it to listen to music you can get an app called ZumoCast and stream the music from your laptop from your iPad. If you can sync your college account on your Droid you can sync it on iPad.

Notes taking I would think would be difficult even with the lare virtual keyboard. i use the Mac bluetooth wireless keyboard to type with. You may not have that in your budget but it's worth looking at.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can create a hot spot for your iPad but you would have to buy the iPad that's capable of receiving 3G and if you get it from Verizon they are going to say great, which data plan do you want?

I don't know how you intend to carry around your iPad but if you want to use it to listen to music you can get an app called ZumoCast and stream the music from your laptop from your iPad. If you can sync your college account on your Droid you can sync it on iPad.

Notes taking I would think would be difficult even with the lare virtual keyboard. i use the Mac bluetooth wireless keyboard to type with. You may not have that in your budget but it's worth looking at.

If you do the wifi hotspot from your droid you shouldn't need the 3G iPad? I have the iPhone4 and the hotspot works just fine on my wifi iPad. I have found I prefer the virtual keyboard better than a real one so it's more what you prefer. I am probably in the minority when it comes to typing on glass..:D

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) No, the iPad will likely never display Flash content. While some websites are offering HTML5 alternatives, most are not.

2) You don't need the 3G iPad to receive data from your Droid, the Wi-Fi only model will be fine.

3) Don't bother with Pages for notes, there are several cheap or free note taking apps available, there is a thread discussing some of them on this forum. Some can even record voice.

4) I use my touch screen to take 4-5 pages worth of notes a night and it works fine for me, although it did take a week or two to get used to. A Bluetooth keyboard would be nice, but it's not a requirement IMO.

Most reactions

Latest posts