What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanna move!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How possible do you think it would be to pick up and just move? I want to move to another state.

Rent a uhaul. Load it and go. That is what I want do.

Thoughts?

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends how much stuff you have.

I tried to move to Rocklin, ca but no job. So then I tried Seattle. Still no job.

Still here in co with a decent job market. About to move to tx with a job offer. My cost to move to Seattle with a 6x12 uhaul trailer, two trucks, a car and deposit and 2 months rent on a 1,300 mile move came out to about $3,200.

Tx is the same distance, however we are renting a home. So our est cost is roughly $4,100.

Anything possible with money.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny thing Marie....i want to get out of this idoit infested town of mine and do the same thing.....just start a whole new life.

But i never tried to get my drivers permit and i got no cash.....so i am stuck here. :(

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could row a boat to Australia come live with the kangaroos , koalas and crazy Aussies. As Oprah said every one should visit.

How fun would that be, Colin!! I would love to meet you.:)

Funny thing Marie....i want to get out of this idoit infested town of mine and do the same thing.....just start a whole new life.

But i never tried to get my drivers permit and i got no cash.....so i am stuck here. :(

That is exactly where I am. I want a whole new life. How old are you?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on what your motivation is that will determine if it is a good move or not. Are you wanting to leave to get away from something or someone? Are you wanting to leave to be with someone? What will happen if you move and your life ends up being exactly the same as it is now and the only difference is your location? Of course we don't need to know the answers, but you do!

Back in my mid 20's, I did exactly what you are wanting to do. I moved from the Midwest to Los Angeles to pursue my dream. Funny thing was that right before I closed my last suitcase, all of the issues and problems I thought I was leaving behind jumped into my suitcase!

The bottom line was that I was who I was and it did not matter where I happened to live at the time. Geography does not solve problems. I have been there!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have lived in six states and five countries. If you are trying to be someone else, you can be a better or a worse person where you wind up.. If you are looking for the pot of gold, so are a lot of others. If you are looking for adventure, romance, or a challenge, do a lot of soul searching. I would never tell anyone not to flex their wings, but always remember that it is harder to find work in a new community. Unless you have a good job offer, and good adaptation skills, it can be stressful. It also can be rewarding.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on what your motivation is that will determine if it is a good move or not. Are you wanting to leave to get away from something or someone? Are you wanting to leave to be with someone? What will happen if you move and your life ends up being exactly the same as it is now and the only difference is your location? Of course we don't need to know the answers, but you do!

Back in my mid 20's, I did exactly what you are wanting to do. I moved from the Midwest to Los Angeles to pursue my dream. Funny thing was that right before I closed my last suitcase, all of the issues and problems I thought I was leaving behind jumped into my suitcase!

The bottom line was that I was who I was and it did not matter where I happened to live at the time. Geography does not solve problems. I have been there!

Not too hijack but I may as well toss in my reasoning for wanting this as well.

1.) My so called "friends" just piss me off whenever they get the chance.
2.) I am stuck at a dead end job in retail that is stressing me out more and more each day
3.) I have no companion......except my cat. I have no luck with the ladies it seems. LOL!!!
4.) there is nothing here for me anymore. None of my family lives here anymore.

Basically I am getting more and more miserable each and every day and with no means to do this is not helping me out any. Looking into other options.

Marie I am in my 30's.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you wanting to leave to be with someone? What will happen if you move and your life ends up being exactly the same as it is now and the only difference is your location?

all of the issues and problems I thought I was leaving behind jumped into my suitcase!

No. I am not wanting to leave for someone. Not sure where I am going, yet, actually. Atlanta Georgia, Salem Oregon, are two options, where I have friends.

I am not running from anything, Scott, so no problems will follow. Could be new ones though ~ like work, and I have two great jobs here.

I am just tired of here. I am in a rut, and I seem to live for everyone else, be there for everyone else.

I have lived in six states and five countries. If you are trying to be someone else, you can be a better or a worse person where you wind up.. If you are looking for the pot of gold, so are a lot of others. If you are looking for adventure, romance, or a challenge, do a lot of soul searching. I would never tell anyone not to flex their wings, but always remember that it is harder to find work in a new community. Unless you have a good job offer, and good adaptation skills, it can be stressful. It also can be rewarding.

I must have read your post 5 times so far. Seriously. And I will probably read it 100 more.

Thank You.

But ~

I know who I am. And I like me and am good with that. So I know I can do this. Wanting to be someone else is not an option ~ but being me somewhere else could be everything.

Not too hijack but I may as well toss in my reasoning for wanting this as well.

1.) My so called "friends" just piss me off whenever they get the chance.
2.) I am stuck at a dead end job in retail that is stressing me out more and more each day
3.) I have no companion......except my cat. I have no luck with the ladies it seems. LOL!!!
4.) there is nothing here for me anymore. None of my family lives here anymore.

Basically I am getting more and more miserable each and every day and with no means to do this is not helping me out any. Looking into other options.

Marie I am in my 30's.

Number 4 works for me. Except my daughter. She was the reason I didn't do this five years ago. I was actually going to move to Canada!

But she wouldn't go and I couldn't leave her. But now she is 23, almost of out college, kinda, and needs to be on her own.

I have decided if I do this, I can't leave with a minimum of 10K.

So ~

I need a plan.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a hint from this festivity period. Being close to your family is what matters. When you live in a northern climate cooped up inside for months you learn that.

Wherever you are it's in your head and your heart that it all starts. If you need a change of environment and you are close to the ones you love, just move a few blocks away.

Don't give up your job. Harder periods are about to come.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The good news is that the cost of living in both of those cities is less than the Sacramento area. Atlanta is nearly 18% less (which really surprised me) and Portland (the nearest biggest city to Salem) is only about 3% less. OTOH, even though their unemployment rate is less than the 12.7% in your area, it is still nearly 10% in those areas.

I am also with iVan's thinking that the economy overall isn't going to get significantly better any time soon. Unless you win the lottery, you are going to have to eventually find a job somewhere else.

I know, this is an emotional decision and you probably don't want hard cold statistical data to help you decide, but as someone I know likes to remind people.... "I'm just sayin'..."

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off Sweet do not move intill you have a job for it bad out there all over the place and belive me i understand the whole i got to get out the state movement right now with all the things that are wrong with the state here ..

Second i understand the desire to leave the State of Ca and it messed up ways and happening right now after the shooting at the one local babershop up there in Sac area ..Along with the fact that the state is going downhill in a handbasket with no brakes attched to the handbasket and it not going to stop intill there is a big crash at the end of the line ..

But make sure you have enough money saved up and a good job waiting on you there before you move there ..

my girl and i have talked about getting out the state a few times it came up this weekend as we where going through the mall area and seeing just how the people where acting in the area..

so i understand the whole i got to get out of state thing ..we are talking about moveing up to Flagstaff area and settleing in the upper part of Az state and she came back to L.A to work here and there when she needs to work ..but we both are seeing the handwriteing on the wall about the state and the fact that we need to get out of here

plus in the field that you work in there got to be times that you want to say to the judge you need to lock the person up and never let them out again in a normal soceity or you coworkers or a boss who are so stupid that they are beening lead by the nose by some of the socalled groups that you work with or someone in the group who thinks that they know it better and you but never worked in the field is trying to tell you how it should be done with some of the kids..

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... "I'm just sayin'..."
Hey, stop taking my line!
:::::::chases Scott with a stick:::::::::

Marie, I totally get where you're at. And moving is scary enough in itself, so much change....but seriously, if you want it do it! You can always come back! Are you able to take a leave of absence? That way you can check out the areas and feel out jobs and if it doesn't pan out come back...

I know California is not making it very easy to stay!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
, you are going to have to eventually find a job somewhere else.

Did you think I was not going to work when I moved? I have been looking on CL in both of those cities and there are quite a few great jobs I am qualified for ~ which is great!

And the rents there, OMG. Amazing. But the cost of living is not high either, so my income will go down.

Most reactions

Latest posts