What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think my iPad retina died : (

red_seal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was watching kenny vs spenny on my iPad as I was on my way to work and my iPad turned off. I thought the battery died, even though I knew it was odd because I had it fully charged in the morning. The iPad will not turn on at all, it just stays blank. I tried holding the home button and power to reset but nothing happened. It looks like I need to bring it into apple. I just thought it was weird because I treated my iPad retina really well, so I don't know how this happened. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate to say it but if the warranty has expired, there is no point of bringing it to the apple store, they will just tell you to buy a new one.
I would try J.A. 's suggestions and if they don't work check your local kijiji / craigs list for a local iPad/iphone repair service with a good reputation.
If you are up to some DIY repair go to ifixit.com they have a great Q&A section as well as detailed repair guides.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate to say it but if the warranty has expired, there is no point of bringing it to the apple store, they will just tell you to buy a new one.

I would have to disagree, it is worth a Genius appointment, even if out of warranty, as they do have repair and/replacement options that will be cheaper than a whole new iPad. If there is nothing they can do, then you are still free to make other plans.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be surprised if that was the case. The best case scenario that I have heard of is maybe being offered a refurb version for a refurb price. Not that I'm knocking Apple mind you, it's just that more often than not , if your iPad is out of warranty, especially a year or two past it then they will work you towards replacing your device. But like you said a visit really wouldn't hurt but keep other options in mind in regards to repairing your current iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you haven't done so, go ahead and plug the iPad in for several hours and then try again. I know you are reasonably sure it did not run out of battery, but there are other possible issues, like maybe your battery capacity has suddenly dropped.

The main thing about the Genius appointment is you get the diagnostic part, where they figure out what's wrong with the iPad, for free. If it doesn't require actual repair, but just a swift kick in the software, they'll typically do it right there, and at no charge.

It's a good way to find out for sure if the iPad is really broken, and what it will cost; at no cost. Well, at the cost of some time and gas or transit fees.

If you've got a nearby store, it's probably worth a visit. If it's going to cost you serious cash to get to the store, then probably not.

Most reactions

Latest posts