What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I want a iPad.....But Why? ...Make me want one more.

mudpuppy45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed using P.C.s, but lately I've been having problems with my laptop and I'm thinking about an iPad. My wife and I each have laptops and we have a desk top. Can you help me decide to get a iPad?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Watching movies (synced or streaming), reading ebooks or PDFs, sketching, looking at photos and browsing the Internet are just a very few things that I enjoy doing more on my iPad than any digital platform ever.

Put all that in a size that is about the same as a magazine with an amazing battery life and - well, it really is a no brainer.

A laptop is a computer that you place on a desk or your lap. The iPad is meant to be used lounging wherever.

The user experience is fantastic. Yes, it does have it's limitations, but there is an app almost every weakness or missing feature you can imagine.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Read about its capabilities and function. Do they work for you? Is it something you can see yourself using on a daily basis?

We can't make you "want" something if it doesn't fit your lifestyle. You have to decide. All we will end up doing is telling you everything that you could find out by looking at the Apple.com page for the iPad.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh Puppies like to play and the best thing you can do is visit the nearest store and play with one. If that won't convince you then you don't need one :)

The basic question is what did you use your laptop for. If the answer is work related then you need to examine how much work and how you could get the same results using an Ipad.
Otherwise it's the most convenient online gadget out there. Most of us who have one agree that our usage of our other computers has dropped radically.

OP
M

mudpuppy45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies to all. I can almost see the smiles on your faces as you speek of your iPad. I had gone to apple.com/ipad and read all that I can about their iPad. It looks as if it will be exactly what I need. What I don't see on Apple's site is the BUT it won't do this and that. One reply said the iPad "has it's limitations but usually there is a app to solve that". That's what I'm looking for.

Dolan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bragging rights to you're friends of course! Show them how hip hip and up to date you are with technology. Anyone else you know that has one? If you do get the better one to pee them off.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The "but" is that you can't upload anything easily except with some apps, and there is no "My Documents." Apps only have access to their workspace and it isn't easy to get data from one app to another other than copy and paste. And not every video format that you may have on your computer can be played - requiring conversion software in many cases to play stuff you already have. Also, creating long documents, or editing complicated ones isn't pleasent.

So in other words, content consumption is simply amazing, but content creation can be less than great. Except for sketching - I love to do that in the iPad.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
The iPad is not, nor was it ever, meant as a primary computer. That being said, the "buts" are only from those who expect more than what the designers had envisioned. Don't expect something that was never engineered into the OS. It is iOS, not OSx.

If you want to surf the internet, watch videos, look at photos, play some games, read some books, do limited editing of some files and a myriad of other things - then it works great.

If you are looking to replace a Laptop or Desktop - it won't.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a laptop and an iPad, I don't use the iPad for computer stuff like editing and creating files. I use the iPad for fun and games, for reading books, for watching movies, and for surfing the internet. Its great for a stopgap in work related items, like quick access and viewing of documents but not the machine I would use for more detailed projects.

Consider its a FUN toy. Things it won't do are the complicated things.. and if you like Flash a lot you'll be upset.

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I will be able to travel now, without lugging my laptop with me on the airplane, which will save unpacking it when going thru the security checkpoint.

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but, I did read somewhere that TSA does not require you to pull the iPad out as they do with laptops.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only you can decide whether the ipad is for you, based on your own needs. If it's to be used as primarily an entertainment device, or a convenient, take-anywhere internet device, I'd say it would meet your needs very well. Bear in mind that it's not meant to replace a normal laptop/desktop, as it is more a consumption device than anything.

I hear alot of stories of people barely using their normal computers now for web browsing as they prefer the experience on their ipad, if you think you'll fall into this category than I'd give the pad a shot. I probably sound like I have one lol, I don't but I have a fair amount of experience using it. My plan ultimately is to get an ipad for my portable computing needs as I only need my portable 'computer' to be a device for entertainment, not work. And I will compliment that with a Mac mini, connected to my 46" Samsung 1080p LCD :D.

o2sys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you but after borrowing my friends for a day I got one right away.

I think its the experience that you get out of it that counts. I will be using mine mostly for entertainment (streaming music, videos, and web) and for that I think its an amazing device.

I was just laying in my couch for almost 5 hrs watching one of my favorite series and constantly kept saying to myself my laptop can't bring this kind of comfort.

It allows me to view it at almost every angle, it doesn't get hot, its lighter and much more portable...the pleasure and experience I got from freely enjoying my alone time makes the Ipad so worth it. The screen size is just perfect. I have tried the same with my iphone 4 and my fingers started to hurt holding the phone and though the screen is just a nice, the experience just wasn't the same.

Most reactions

Latest posts