i pad mini 4 (wifi only) can I use star tracking apps

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by sanfairyanne, Jan 7, 2016.

1. sanfairyanne

sanfairyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have ordered an i pad mini4 but I'm reading conflicting reports stating that I can or cannot use star apps like Sky Safari. The i pad 4 is a wifi only model and I'd be using it without a wifi signal, i.e. out in the field away from civilisation. My guess is this won't work and I'll have to cancel the order but some web pages suggest the opposite. Can anyone please set me straight.

Many thanks in advance.

2. sanfairyanne

sanfairyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I think I can answer my own question, please feel free to comment if you think I'm wrong.

From what I understand apps like Sky Safari have a facility to manually input the exact coordinates which can easily be found on Google Earth, therefore the i-pad 4 wifi only version WILL WORK without wifi or cell reception.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's quite workable if you know in advance exactly where you'll be using the app.

4. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Or you can setup a hotspot with your phone and have mobile data for your wifi-only ipad.

5. Petereigler

Petereigler
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No Internet required. It works with GPS.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If your app requires GPS, it will not work with a wifi only iPad, whether connected to the Internet or not.

The GPS chip is only found on cellular models (and works independently of Internet connection).

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    While the non-cellular iPads do not have a GPS, that does not mean they are completely lost. They will still use nearby wi-fi networks to get a rough location. While not as reliable as GPS, this is probably good enough for most star viewing apps.

As long as Sky Safari does not need the internet to pull down viewing data, and there are enough wi-fi networks in range for the iPad to locate itself, it should work.

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course, if you're far enough away from a city to get dark enough skies for decent star watching, you're probably too far from enough useful WiFi hotspots to provide a rough location.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List