What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-Pad GPS

Jackofjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day All
First post for me , My Kids gave me a I-Pad for my birthday last August , its a I-Pad 2 , I think dose not have cellular data ,
I would like to buy a 4x4 mapping app , GPS will it keep track when I'm off road driving

Sorry if I sound stupid but these thing confuse me

Regards Jacko

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
G'day All
First post for me , My Kids gave me a I-Pad for my birthday last August , its a I-Pad 2 , I think dose not have cellular data ,
I would like to buy a 4x4 mapping app , GPS will it keep track when I'm off road driving

Sorry if I sound stupid but these thing confuse me

Regards Jacko
Welcome to iPad Forums, Jacko!

I'm afraid not. Only the iPads with cellular data capability have the built in GPS chip and are able to use navigation apps while offline. A WiFi only iPad like yours can only get a rough position by WiFi triangulation in areas with multiple WiFi hotspots, such as cities and towns.

OP
J

Jackofjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm , bugger , I guess I need to buy a new one
Thanks Jacko

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be absolutely sure that you do not have the cellular iPad, check the case. Does it have a black plastic panel set into the top of the case? This covers the cellular antenna on the cellular model.

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of options, piggy back off your mobile connection if your mobile allows it, I have the same think I got an iPad air2 for Christmas didn't get a cellular one to expensive, but you take away the wifi it doesn't do a lot. The other options I found out is
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427228547.134622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427228568.167963.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427228587.668364.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427228605.584148.jpg
. Hopefully this will give you some clues, I've just thought I presume your uk based, if not I'm sure other countries will do something similar. I'm sure it's a far better option than buying a new iPad you can always use pay as you go & top as & when it's required.

Mike A

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I'm sure it's a far better option than buying a new iPad you can always use pay as you go & top as & when it's required.

If the primary reason to buy a new iPad is for the GPS (not the cellular connection) this won't work. The OP would get internet, but not the precise location information needed for navigation apps. He could see the map, but not where he is on the Map; at least not accurately.

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get where your coming from if you connect to a device mobile device why would this no work. The advert says something like set your iPad free.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427232217.228104.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427232245.013447.jpg
. So strictly speaking its 4g internet not wifi. So if I was out & about on my mobile I'm getting 3G/4G signal as you would on a mobile device. EE said I could tether my internet & use my mobile as a mobile hotspot. So long as my iPad is connected to my mobile I don't see why...

Mike A

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with TP, the device your suggesting doesn't have a GPS SO THE OP would be where they are right now (although they would have Internet and basic location via cellular tower triangulation)

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I've just tried it as you say because it's connected using wifi, I use an app called waze as my sat nav although I managed to set it up on my iPad was just a blank screen, I was told I could use 4g off my phone which while I'm out works well, but not as a nav. Good job I have an iPhone 6 plus & am not planning on doing this anytime soon, just a shame mine doesn't have cellular but my mobile contract cost me enough & it's only like holidays I will probably use it & it's normally over wifi anyway as like most people I try to avoid data whilst abroad because of the extortionate prices they charge for data roaming. Sorry if my post mislead anyone. At least I can use my mobile signal that worked well. I may as well remove waze from my iPad.

Mike A

Most reactions

Latest posts