What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i-pad 3

geeks united

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We bought an i-pad 3 whilst visiting our daughter in OHIO , U.S.A. , late June 2012. Although we have no real understanding of computers and by definition , our new i-pad , we have been muddling along untill now. . However , this morning , when my husband tried to turn on the i-pad , after un-plugging from the battery recharge unit , absolutly , NOTHING happened ! Just a black screen !!. I tried to power up the unit , although , it had not been powered down , as shown in a video on an Apple Help site. This did not help . Unfortunately , because we bought the unit in the U.S.A. we do not have a valid warranty period. I have joined this forum , with the hope I can gain some help and possibly some degree of expertise with all manner of computers.
Thank you ( in advance)
geeks united ( Jan Palmer )

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We bought an i-pad 3 whilst visiting our daughter in OHIO , U.S.A. , late June 2012. Although we have no real understanding of computers and by definition , our new i-pad , we have been muddling along untill now. . However , this morning , when my husband tried to turn on the i-pad , after un-plugging from the battery recharge unit , absolutly , NOTHING happened ! Just a black screen !!. I tried to power up the unit , although , it had not been powered down , as shown in a video on an Apple Help site. This did not help . Unfortunately , because we bought the unit in the U.S.A. we do not have a valid warranty period. I have joined this forum , with the hope I can gain some help and possibly some degree of expertise with all manner of computers.
Thank you ( in advance)
geeks united ( Jan Palmer )

What makes you state that you don't have a valid warranty on an Apple device that is less than one years old?

OP
G

geeks united

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We were told , that as we were buying the product in U.S.A. ( under instruction of our son-in -law) and taking the unit back to Australia , it did not carry a warranty. We felt that Apple was such a reputable brand
( yes , I know , it was foolish) surely it would be okay !

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might want to call your local Apple store to find out if that is actually correct. Personally it just doesn't sound right.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time for like 15 seconds. If that doesn't work after a few tries, try plugging back in and charging overnight, then try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time for like 15 seconds.

My iPad 1 blacked out on me a few weeks after initial purchase and the combo of holding down power and home buttons brought it back. It happened once in about 2.5 years.

And your warranty should be worldwide, except in odd situations like buying in Iraq, on which the U.S. has imposed sanctions. In such places, Apple devices are gray marketed and warranties don't apply. Elsewhere, your warranty should work fine. For example, I bought my iPhone on one continent, smashed it on another, and Apple took care of me without hesitation or questions about where I made my purchase. It wasn't even a warranty issue in that case. They gave me a free replacement.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts