What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-Pad 2 Wfi problems

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Hopefully some one can advise on how to solve this problem. After suffering slow connections to the web on my I-Pad 2, I purchased a new I-Pad Air 2. Although you cant compare both tablets its a bit like chalk and cheese , however, with the I-Pad 2 I'm only getting a download speed of 16 to 20M/bit but with Air 2 I'm getting 60 to 65M/Bit. Both measurements are taken at the same time.
I have done numerous factory resets and I was wondering is there anything else I can do to increase my speed of browsing. I don't really want to ditch the I-Pad2

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

You will need to provide more information: 1) What ISP (Internet Service Provider) are you using; 2) What router is in place; 3) How are you measuring your DL speeds; and 4) Are you testing those speeds in the same location from your router and at the same time?

The Wi-Fi radios have improved but 3X the difference in DL speeds is hard to explain - I have an iPad 2 on Time Warner cable and get about 20 Mbps DL speeds which is a limitation of TW's bottleneck into my cable modem - my Wi-Fi router (Apple Airport Extreme) is MUCH faster - so a little difficult to understand your situation - let us know. Dave

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave for the prompt response,

1: My ISP is BT ( I'm from the UK)
2: I'm using the latest BT Hub 5 which gets excellent reviews and is regarded by some magazines as the best
3: Both I-Pads are side beside when the measurement is taking place
4: The test have been carried out beside the hub and also in the same place in other rooms within the house.

My I-Pad 2 had become extremely slow when browsing the internet, on some occasions, it would just hang before the page loaded, on other occasions it would come back with a message, "safari on able to open page". As soon as I either switched the I-Pad off or switched off the Wi-Fi and restarted, the page would load. I have researched the internet for a solution but to no avail.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry but a few more questions: 1) What iOS is installed on each of the iPads; and 2) What do you mean by a 'factory reset' (I'm assuming you have held down the On-Off & Home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appeared, then released, and allowed the iPad 2 to reboot)? Dave :)

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but a few more questions: 1) What iOS is installed on each of the iPads; and 2) What do you mean by a 'factory reset' (I'm assuming you have held down the On-Off & Home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appeared, then released, and allowed the iPad 2 to reboot)? Dave :)

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, using Windows terminology when I say factory reset, what I mean is "erase all content and settings". I have carried what you have said ie holding down the on-off button and home button simultaneously. I have also carried out the following;

Reset all settings
Reset Network settings

On the I-Pad2 I'm running IS8.1 and the I-pad Air 2 is running IOS8.2
I should mention the problem existed on the I-Pad 2 when I had IOS7 installed : Alan

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was having the same issues in Safari with my iPad 2 since installing windows 8. After resetting the Network Settings and deleting all history , cookies and data from Safari , it has become a lot more stable. The downside is you have to reenter all your online passwords, etc...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have carried what you have said ie holding down the on-off button and home button simultaneously. I have also carried out the following;

Reset all settings
Reset Network settings

On the I-Pad2 I'm running IS8.1 and the I-pad Air 2 is running IOS8.2
I should mention the problem existed on the I-Pad 2 when I had IOS7 installed : Alan

Hi again Alan - so, I'm assuming that the Reset & the other settings options done above had no effect - correct? Also, the latest iOS is 8.1, so that should be on both of your iPads.

I went HERE to review the specs on your BT router, which include the most recent 802.11 ac protocol & dual bands (i.e. 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) along w/ MIMO (multiple input-multiple output) which means use of multiple antennas - just curious what BT speed is promising you into that modem/router? I would think that the speed should match that on your iPad Air 2 DL rates?

Now the iPad 2 has 802.11 a/b/g/n specs (so, no dual bands or MIMO, i.e. a more primitive Wi-Fi radio); the iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi specs are shown below in the attachment (from Apple) - I suspect that you are simply dealing w/ aged technology in the iPad 2; but would be interesting if you took both to another Wi-Fi location (like a Wi-Fi hotspot cafe) and tested there?

Not sure that I can add much more - your router may be simply sending out multiple bands/streams that the iPad Air 2 can handle but not the older iPad 2 - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 5.22.23 PM.png

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Alan - so, I'm assuming that the Reset & the other settings options done above had no effect - correct? Also, the latest iOS is 8.1, so that should be on both of your iPads.

I went HERE to review the specs on your BT router, which include the most recent 802.11 ac protocol & dual bands (i.e. 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) along w/ MIMO (multiple input-multiple output) which means use of multiple antennas - just curious what BT speed is promising you into that modem/router? I would think that the speed should match that on your iPad Air 2 DL rates?

Now the iPad 2 has 802.11 a/b/g/n specs (so, no dual bands or MIMO, i.e. a more primitive Wi-Fi radio); the iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi specs are shown below in the attachment (from Apple) - I suspect that you are simply dealing w/ aged technology in the iPad 2; but would be interesting if you took both to another Wi-Fi location (like a Wi-Fi hotspot cafe) and tested there?

Not sure that I can add much more - your router may be simply sending out multiple bands/streams that the iPad Air 2 can handle but not the older iPad 2 - Dave :)
View attachment 60962

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave

1: The reset and the other setting options had no effect, the problem still exists

2: Both I-Pads are at IOS 8.1

3: My ISP, BT offers 76M, and I get 74M on my Ethernet connected desktop

4: I borrowed another I-Pad 2 and connected it wirelessly to my BT Hub 5, and it is getting the same speed as my I-Pad 2 but it doesn't have the problem of slow browsing or at times failing to open a page

I think the slower download speed I was getting on the old I-Pad 2 as compared to my new I-Pad Air is a "red herring" and is not the cause of my problem.

I'm open to further ideas if you have any. Alan

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe your original iPad is getting a bit old like the rest of us ?

Seriously, I my iPad 2 has suffered from slowness, pauses and stutters since going on to 8, but I tried switching off multitasking gestures in the settings app, and all hesitation and slowness has been cured. Don't know why, but it has worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave

1: The reset and the other setting options had no effect, the problem still exists

2: Both I-Pads are at IOS 8.1

3: My ISP, BT offers 76M, and I get 74M on my Ethernet connected desktop

4: I borrowed another I-Pad 2 and connected it wirelessly to my BT Hub 5, and it is getting the same speed as my I-Pad 2 but it doesn't have the problem of slow browsing or at times failing to open a page

I think the slower download speed I was getting on the old I-Pad 2 as compared to my new I-Pad Air is a "red herring" and is not the cause of my problem.

I'm open to further ideas if you have any. Alan

Hi again Alan - well, I'm running out of ideas - I think that w/ the second iPad showing the same DL speeds that my explanation of differences in the Wi-Fi radios likely applies; of course, does not explain the browsing activities variations that your describe.

You could go into Settings -> Safari and toward the bottom delete your history and whatever else seems appropriate - not sure that it would help. You could also install another browser(s) to see if the behavior is similar (I have a number on my iPad 2, including Puffin). Dave :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again Alan - well, I'm running out of ideas - I think that w/ the second iPad showing the same DL speeds that my explanation of differences in the Wi-Fi radios likely applies; of course, does not explain the browsing activities variations that your describe.

You could go into Settings -> Safari and toward the bottom delete your history and whatever else seems appropriate - not sure that it would help. You could also install another browser(s) to see if the behavior is similar (I have a number on my iPad 2, including Puffin). Dave :)

Not a bad idea to clear safari completely. My daughters both have ipad 2s and after the recent OS updates we did a reset network settings, completely clear safari, and made sure that all features not used or needed were turned OFF. Neither one them are complaining and believe me they would be of something wasn't right! ;)

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe your original iPad is getting a bit old like the rest of us ?

Seriously, I my iPad 2 has suffered from slowness, pauses and stutters since going on to 8, but I tried switching off multitasking gestures in the settings app, and all hesitation and slowness has been cured. Don't know why, but it has worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this, I checked my I-Pad and this is switched on, I have now turned it off. I'll see if this makes a difference:)

Most reactions