I pad 1 to iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by cindyp111, Feb 12, 2013.

1. cindyp111

cindyp111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi I'm trying to get my apps off my iPad 1 to my iPad 4 but it's not working . Ive backed up my iPad 1 and tryed to restore it to my ne one but it's not working any one know what to do .

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    There are at least two ways.

1) Back up your iPad 1. Best to do an encrypted backup (it will ask for a password for the backup, so don't forget it) so all of your passwords and settings are saved in the backup. Then, set up your iPad 4...and when iTunes asks, tell it to restore from backup. Then select the back up you made of your iPad 1. Be sure to use the same Apple ID on both.

2) Step up your iPad 4 as new. Give it your Apple ID. Then, open up the App Store, got to Purchased, and download the apps you want. You will also have to redo all your settings and enter in all of your passwords, etc, but this can be worth doing on a new device. You get the freshest install and you can set things up anew. More work.

Remember, Apple remembers all of your purchases, so you can always get your stuff back. You don't really need to think in terms of transferring from iPad 1 to iPad 4, just think redownloading your stuff from Apple. You can do both....

3. cindyp111

cindyp111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay I've did that buti get no songs or my photos on there . I can see my songs I've brought . And apps now

4. cindyp111

cindyp111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will I loose my saved data on my games that I've done

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Well, in theory you should not, especially if you did the encrypted backup....but sometimes backup/restores don't go as planned...but make sure they are still on your iPad 1 so you don't lose anything...keep your iPad 1 in tact so you can do the entire thing over again. You might even want to redo the back up again if need be. You can have two iPads, so there is no need to get rid of anything on iPad 1 until you are sure everything is as it should be on your iPad 4.

Now, i believe that songs you bought in via iTunes (that didn't come from the store) have to be brought in again. I don't think iTunes backs that up (I know, pain). Same with movies not from the store that you got else where. Most apps backup their own data or will save it to iCloud if you tell them to.

6. cindyp111

cindyp111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It won't put mu photos or music from my old iPad to my new. I've backed up and . Restored to my new iPad it does my email stuff but no photos or music. A

Also is it normal for a iPad to get hot my old iPad is thick but doesn't get hot only warm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. Treborray

Treborray iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went from the 2 to the 4 two days ago... Still in shock!

8. cindyp111

cindyp111 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It did some apps not all but still no music or photos
    I can't get them my old iPad and put them on my computer can I I have I explorer 3 trial can't buy yet Any others way