What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I never knew how dumb I was

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
dspoverseas.proboards.com
I'm really struggling with the ipad, three days and I've done virtually nothing, I can't get online because my laptop works off a dongle, my photos seem to have disappeared... they were there yesterday, I just tried video and can't find it, the iPad won't do anything with my Win7 laptop when hooked up by cable and viceversa.
I need a real basic starter kit, the manual you download assumes some basic knowledge...
Currently looking at the most expensive ornament I've ever bought.
I'd be happy to just load a few books on it or a movie.
But then I can use the laptop for that.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have iTunes on your laptop? itunes.apple.com It sounds like you don't, click that link I provided to download it (it's free, don't worry). You can download movies, TV shows to iTunes and sync it to iPad; or download directly from iTunes on iPad. Do you have the Wifi model or the 4G one? If you have only the Wifi one, you'll need a wireless network to connect to internet. If you need further help, feel free to private message me :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Is your ipad a 3g/4g model? As Goofy has said you will need an Internet connection for your iPad. If not can you go somewhere that does have a free wifi?
Where were your photos? On the laptop or pad, we'll need more info to help you here.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
sceadugenga

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Thanks a lot, particularly Goofy who I will probably PM now I'm invited and get this amateur stuff off the board.

OK, the iPad is not 3G, only wifi.
I have iTunes on the Win7 machine but the books etc I want to put on the iPad are alread downloaded.

I picked up a decent remote wifi device today which I will run both devices off, I've not had time to really have a good play with it but I downloaded a couple of apps.
I also downloaded book that some one had emailed me, the iPad gobbled it up but where would it be?
I'm still addicted to stuff like My Documents... a little help here please!!!! :D
What is a good book reader App that can read all the common formats?
Something like Calibre.

The photos are ones I just took trying out the ipad camera. When I opened the photo file today there was one but none of the others.

OK, last question (for now) I tried to enter a forum I belong to on the ipad but my clumsy fingers got the password wrong... so it asked me to do that little puzzle thingy to prove i was human, you see a word or phrase and have to type it into the box... but the keyboard won't come up. :(

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch the text entry box and the keyboard should appear.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

iPad came easily to me, but I suck at other stuff that comes easily to other people. Oh well.

If you need help, better to ask than flounder around, get frustrated and become disheartened. This forum is very useful and there are plenty of people willing to help.

If you have questions, best to be specific when asking, so people can more easily help.

Good luck and enjoy. iPad is a great device.

OP
sceadugenga

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for that, it did work this time but not the last.
I think this touch pad stuff is a confidence thing, a bit like riding a bike, once you get used to it you wonder how you could ever not do it.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, particularly Goofy who I will probably PM now I'm invited and get this amateur stuff off the board.

OK, the iPad is not 3G, only wifi.
I have iTunes on the Win7 machine but the books etc I want to put on the iPad are alread downloaded.

I picked up a decent remote wifi device today which I will run both devices off, I've not had time to really have a good play with it but I downloaded a couple of apps.
I also downloaded book that some one had emailed me, the iPad gobbled it up but where would it be?
I'm still addicted to stuff like My Documents... a little help here please!!!! :D
What is a good book reader App that can read all the common formats?
Something like Calibre.

The photos are ones I just took trying out the ipad camera. When I opened the photo file today there was one but none of the others.

OK, last question (for now) I tried to enter a forum I belong to on the ipad but my clumsy fingers got the password wrong... so it asked me to do that little puzzle thingy to prove i was human, you see a word or phrase and have to type it into the box... but the keyboard won't come up. :(
Apple makes a free ebook reader app called iBooks. Here's the link: App Store - iBooks This is the link for the us store, based on your country, you may have to search iBooks in the iTunes.
Are the books you're trying to load onto your iPad in .ibooks format? (it will be called something like "ebookname.ibook). You should be able to import these into iTunes by doing a drag and drop into your iTunes library, then sync it with your iPad. You can also download .ibooks ebooks from the iTunes store for varying prices. You can even view PDF files in iBooks. Email it to the iPad and click "open in iBooks". However, for this, a dedicated PDF reader such as adobe reader, documents, or file app, as iBooks is read only.
As KevinJS said, clicking the text field should pull up the keyboard. :)
Hope this helps.

Goofy

Last edited:
OP
sceadugenga

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
OK, thanks again.
This syncing thing.
I now have iTunes on my laptop and on the iPad, how do I sync them?
I use the dropbox program but it's a bit slow, is the iTunes method faster?
I brought some books over and the epub ones went into iBooks quite nicely so I'm getting there.
The email sounds like the best way as i have several hundred books from Burgomeister Books in my Gmail account but I need to direct them into iBooks.
Thanks again everyone.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sceadugenga said:
OK, thanks again.
This syncing thing.
I brought some books over and the epub ones went into iBooks quite nicely so I'm getting there.
The email sounds like the best way as i have several hundred books from Burgomeister Books in my Gmail account but I need to direct them into iBooks.
Thanks again everyone.

Have a look at this link and all will be explained.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1386

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, thanks again.
This syncing thing.
Thanks again everyone.
Plug the iPad into your laptop via the included USB cable. Click the sync button in iTunes.
Sync through iTunes regularly, as it backs up the data on the iPad.
I've never imported books into iBooks via email, so not too sure about that, but it should work if it works for PDFs. You should be able to hold down or double tap on the books in email on the iPad and select open in iBooks.
The link form Leelai should help you out as well.

Goofy ;)

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
goofy8275 said:
Plug the iPad into your laptop via the included USB cable. Click the sync button in iTunes.
Sync through iTunes regularly, as it backs up the data on the iPad.
I've never imported books into iBooks via email, so not too sure about that, but it should work if it works for PDFs. You should be able to hold down or double tap on the books in email on the iPad and select open in iBooks.
The link form Leelai should help you out as well.

Goofy ;)

I move epub's to iBooks through my email all the time. Works perfectly. :)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you are getting more comfortable with your iPad :)...

Most reactions