I need help with choosing a word processor

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jjj651, Jul 27, 2010.

1. TJK

TJK
    Expand Collapse

Well, I don't know about being on a list but I can definitely use Dropbox to dowload MS Word docs to my iPad and then get the option to open those files in Pages directly. In the upper right corner of the DropBox screen there is little icon that looks like an arrow coming out of a box....press that and I get "open in Pages" or "open in good reader" options. Getting the FROM Pages Back to DropBox is the issue.

However i have discovered a link that gives you a way to email documents directly to your Dropbox. I guess this operates the way that evernote does.
    Look here: Habilis - the email-to-Dropbox gateway

OK - That link works beautifully. Follow that link - it will prompt you to connect to your Dropbox account and you get a special email address that puts the file into a directory in your DropBox called "From Habilis". So this is a pretty easy way to get edited documents from Pages back to Dropbox.

#31 TJK, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Interesting. When I click on that arrow icon in Dropbox, a window comes up that says "Open in... No installed apps can open this file." So, I'm not sure how I have things set up differently. I'm going to have to explore my options some more. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your input, tho.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much. I knew I had done that before but couldn't remember. That did the trick perfectly.

4. Jjj651

Jjj651
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ohh thanks! I've been looking for an updated review of the word processors. Guess I bought the wrong one then.

5. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Useful link thanks.

6. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    At this point there is no "wrong" one. This test pertains to Word compatibility and I agree with it. But as I've said earlier this software is so cheap on the iPad that you can buy them all for less than the price of Word on a host computer.

Pages shines in other categories that Word masters with difficulty. It does page layout that work quickly and photo manipulation. Word on the host will do it nicely but not the equivalent software for the iPad.

I think it's a good idea to get them all, especially if you do a lot of text editing.

#36 iVan, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. CoMoMacUser

CoMoMacUser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    For me, another Quickoffice drawback is that it doesn't support Word's Track Changes feature. But as far as I know, none of the rival apps supports it, either.

8. JavaJuneau

JavaJuneau
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is Documents To Go Any Good?

I am looking for an office app that I can use to view comments within docs. I'm working on a book and we use the MS Word comment feature to leave feedback. It would be great if I could view comments and edit my work on the iPad. Right now I can create content using Office Squared and Pages, but cannot edit because I need comments.

I also need to have access to a greater number of fonts. Specifically the Utopia and TheSansMonoConNormal fonts. It looks like Docs2Go offers better font coverage than Pages, but I hate to spend the $$ without knowing for sure. I already own 2 office apps...hate to buy another if it will not be useful to me.

Thanks for any feedback!

9. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You have to remember those apps are to help in maintaining documents. Creation is very limited.
    I don't know about comments but I can edit any of my sync'd files as text goes. The output is in the same font that was used.
    As far as creating a new document, you're limited to the fonts your iPad uses. 5.
    It is preferable to start your document on a PC/Mac and to update it on the go with iPad. Syncing will then perform the updates.

#39 iVan, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  10. JavaJuneau

JavaJuneau
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info. So if I use Docs2Go then I will be able to edit docs using the same font that was used to create the document? That would be worth the money...even if comments don't show.