I need help with choosing a word processor

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jjj651, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've got Dropbox and I like it a lot, but I don't see any way to access it using Pages. :-/

2. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was finding that out, too. I could have sworn I had used it for that but must be mistaken.

3. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I found out why I couldn't access my Pages documents on iWork.com on my iPad, as noted above: Java was disabled in my iPad Safari. When I enabled it, I was able to download my documents directly into Pages on my iPad. So I don't have to use email to get docs to and from Pages--I can just use iWork.com. I'm happy about that. :)

Dar

4. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The best thing about iPad apps is that they're so cheap that you can get them all for less than the price of one app on a pc or Mac.

I went for Pages first and then DocsToGo.

5. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Good point. I'm working toward making my iPad my primary computer for most of my work and $10 for something like this does seem cheap! ;)

(Office 2007 cost me, like, what, $120 or so, so this IS cheap.)

6. CoMoMacUser

CoMoMacUser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've been using Quickoffice for about two months and almost entirely for word processing. I often have problems with autosave failing after the second or third successful attempt. Other than that, it works pretty well.

Keep in mind that you will have formatting issues when passing a doc between the iPad and a PC. This can be a real problem if you need to use a template. The lack of a word-count tool also is a major drawback for the type of work I do. The font selection also is limited.

The integration with Dropbox is a helpful feature.

7. TJK

TJK
    Expand Collapse

And Amazon recently had the iWorks suite for Mac on sale for $34.95....almost bought it until I remembered my laptop is Win 7. Guess that would've been sufficient incentive to buy an iMac!

8. TJK

TJK
    Expand Collapse

Getting from Dropbox to Pages is easy: you just use the "open in pages" option. Saving your your edits or new docs back to Dropbox is not functional.

FWIW - Good Reader allows limited editing of existing MS Word docs and does integrate fully with Dropbox.

9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  10. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I don't think that's true. I just tried it. Apparently Dropbox works with Documents to Go and QuickOffice, but Pages is not on the list of compatible word processors--at least as far as i can see. :(

Dar