What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help with choosing a word processor

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you'll really like Pages. I use it for working on my book and love the feel of it. Seems much more natural to work with than Word.

I DO think I'm going to like Pages. Last nite, I was playing with the version on my iPad and my MacBook and checking out how I transfer docs between them. Honestly, the communication between them doesn't seem ideal. To get a file from my Mac to the iPad, I email it, then click on "Open in Pages" in the email. Okay, that's cool. That should work.

But when i email the doc back from the iPad version, it never arrives. Perhaps that's a problem with using YahooMail, though, I don't know. So to get it back go my Mac from Pages on the iPad, i have to save it to iWork.com, which I can access on the Mac. But, the online help at Apple says I can access iWork.com to GET a file to my iPad as well, but when I go there in Safari on my iPad, it won't load.

So, I have to use two different methods, depending on if I'm uploading or downloading to my iPad. If anybody sees this differently, I'd like your input. But, in the end, I think it's okay, just as long as I can transfer files back and forth.

Pages on both platforms seems quite decent, so I think this method is going go work for me. :)

Dar

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I think you'll really like Pages. I use it for working on my book and love the feel of it. Seems much more natural to work with than Word.

I DO think I'm going to like Pages. Last nite, I was playing with the version on my iPad and my MacBook and checking out how I transfer docs between them. Honestly, the communication between them doesn't seem ideal. To get a file from my Mac to the iPad, I email it, then click on "Open in Pages" in the email. Okay, that's cool. That should work.

But when i email the doc back from the iPad version, it never arrives. Perhaps that's a problem with using YahooMail, though, I don't know. So to get it back go my Mac from Pages on the iPad, i have to save it to iWork.com, which I can access on the Mac. But, the online help at Apple says I can access iWork.com to GET a file to my iPad as well, but when I go there in Safari on my iPad, it won't load.

So, I have to use two different methods, depending on if I'm uploading or downloading to my iPad. If anybody sees this differently, I'd like your input. But, in the end, I think it's okay, just as long as I can transfer files back and forth.

Pages on both platforms seems quite decent, so I think this method is going go work for me. :)

Dar

I've got another option for transferring that I think you'll like. Download the Dropbox app (it's free) and then load Dropbox on your other computers (also free for the 250 MB base level, more than enough for me). All you do is move the documents around in Dropbox to get from computer to computer. MUCH easier and faster. It's one of my favorite ways of moving docs back and forth from the iPad and works flawlessly (not to mention, free is a good thing).

Let me know what you think after you try it. I believe it will completely fit the bill for you.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not yet very comfortable with Pages but cannot see how to get docs from Pages into my Dropbox. I see an export option, but to where? Or an email option.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I am not yet very comfortable with Pages but cannot see how to get docs from Pages into my Dropbox. I see an export option, but to where? Or an email option.

I don't shift my writing around too much, so can't remember exactly about dropbox, but for e-mailing, hit My Documents, scroll so the one you want is showing on the screen, DO NOT SELECT TO GO INTO IT. In the bottom left, select the button that looks like arrows and your options will come up there.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've got Dropbox and I like it a lot, but I don't see any way to access it using Pages. :-/

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

I've got Dropbox and I like it a lot, but I don't see any way to access it using Pages. :-/

Yeah, I was finding that out, too. I could have sworn I had used it for that but must be mistaken.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, the online help at Apple says I can access iWork.com to GET a file to my iPad as well, but when I go there in Safari on my iPad, it won't load.

I found out why I couldn't access my Pages documents on iWork.com on my iPad, as noted above: Java was disabled in my iPad Safari. When I enabled it, I was able to download my documents directly into Pages on my iPad. So I don't have to use email to get docs to and from Pages--I can just use iWork.com. I'm happy about that. :)

Dar

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best thing about iPad apps is that they're so cheap that you can get them all for less than the price of one app on a pc or Mac.

I went for Pages first and then DocsToGo.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best thing about iPad apps is that they're so cheap that you can get them all for less than the price of one app on a pc or Mac.

Good point. I'm working toward making my iPad my primary computer for most of my work and $10 for something like this does seem cheap! ;)

(Office 2007 cost me, like, what, $120 or so, so this IS cheap.)

CoMoMacUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Quickoffice for about two months and almost entirely for word processing. I often have problems with autosave failing after the second or third successful attempt. Other than that, it works pretty well.

Keep in mind that you will have formatting issues when passing a doc between the iPad and a PC. This can be a real problem if you need to use a template. The lack of a word-count tool also is a major drawback for the type of work I do. The font selection also is limited.

The integration with Dropbox is a helpful feature.

T

TJK

Good point. I'm working toward making my iPad my primary computer for most of my work and $10 for something like this does seem cheap! ;)

(Office 2007 cost me, like, what, $120 or so, so this IS cheap.)

And Amazon recently had the iWorks suite for Mac on sale for $34.95....almost bought it until I remembered my laptop is Win 7. Guess that would've been sufficient incentive to buy an iMac!

T

TJK

Yeah, I was finding that out, too. I could have sworn I had used it for that but must be mistaken.

Getting from Dropbox to Pages is easy: you just use the "open in pages" option. Saving your your edits or new docs back to Dropbox is not functional.

FWIW - Good Reader allows limited editing of existing MS Word docs and does integrate fully with Dropbox.

Dan Diego

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting from Dropbox to Pages is easy: you just use the "open in pages" option. Saving your your edits or new docs back to Dropbox is not functional.

Actually, I don't think that's true. I just tried it. Apparently Dropbox works with Documents to Go and QuickOffice, but Pages is not on the list of compatible word processors--at least as far as i can see. :(

Dar

Most reactions

Latest posts