What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need either an upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 or a jailbreak for iOS 5.1

swaggington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a new iPad on Friday and tried to jailbreak it with absinthe. Didn't work because I have ios 5.1

Then I tried upgrading my iPad to 5.1.1 with the apple ipsw files, but it gave me an "unknown error"

Google searches didnt turn anything up, because when I search for ios 5.1 jailbreak, it only gives me results for ios 5.1.1.

So I am turning to you guys now. Can you help me?

Thanks

OP
S

swaggington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice forums app by the way. And the iPad ****s all over every android tablet I've ever used. This is my first contact with apple products

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a new iPad on Friday and tried to jailbreak it with absinthe. Didn't work because I have ios 5.1

Then I tried upgrading my iPad to 5.1.1 with the apple ipsw files, but it gave me an "unknown error"

Google searches didnt turn anything up, because when I search for ios 5.1 jailbreak, it only gives me results for ios 5.1.1.

Thanks

Apple has closed the door now on IOS5.1.1 and I understand any upgrade now is only to IOS6. Jailbreak on IOS6 is also not yet possible but is bound to come out soon.
Regards, Andrew

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks

Since you have mentioned questions about Jail break, I am moving this thread to the hacking section. There you will get more attention.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks

Well, we can help, and give you the facts, but it won't be good reading I'm afraid :(

You are right, you cannot jailbreak 5.1 on the iPad3. Furthermore, since your iPad is brand new, you haven't had the opportunity to save any SHSH Blobs for old firmware versions. You can read more about them here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html, but you don't have any saved away.
Even if you did have blobs, it is a bit of a moot point as things stand as there is currently no way to utilise saved 5.x SHSH Blobs for the iPad3. We are waiting for a new release of the redsn0w tool which will support a re-restore of IOS on the iPad3 IF you have saved blobs. But obviously, this is not an option for you and there is no way round it.

So, you are pretty much stuck with one course of action. Update your iPad3 to IOS 6.0 and wait for a new jailbreak to be developed. This will likely take many weeks (maybe months) yet. You can follow the status here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/89458-official-ios6-jailbreak-status-thread.html

In the meantime, you can start saving your blobs today (starting with 6.0 because that is all you are entitled to from Apple) if you follow our guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Sorry it isn't better news, but these are the facts of the situation :D

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we can help, and give you the facts, but it won't be good reading I'm afraid :(

In the meantime, you can start saving your blobs today (starting with 6.0 because that is all you are entitled to from Apple) if you follow our guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Sorry it isn't better news, but these are the facts of the situation :D

Blast! Just when one is beginning to understand some things about the workings of the iPad, accepting there is a way to go yet, you make a post :eek: that shows the reality. It took enough effort to understand what a Blog is. But now a BLOB For heaven's sake!

But OK. It's impressive the technologically cluey people on these forums and their willingness to help, and how much there is still to read and understand. Thanks for that. But SHSH (quiet?) Blobs. With umbrellas? Gotta look into that.:D
All the best, Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts