What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a "Task List" style app with some specific requirements ASAP.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I have looked into a number of functions already available without any specific apps. I do a number of installs on various machines during a day. Right now, I print off a checklist of tasks associated with whatever machine I happen to be building at the time. Right now, I have these lists as Word docs with check boxes to mark for when I am done with the task. We are printing one for each machine, completing the tasks, then throwing it away. I have looked through some of the apps in the AppStore, but none seem to offer exactly what I am wanting. I have also looked at using Docs2Go with the current lists, Reminders, Tasks in Exchange, but they do not easily work, and the Docs2Go doesn't allow me to reset the forms at all. I don't need "reoccurring tasks" as I don't build machines every day, only on an as needed basis.

I want to know if there is an app out there that will let me make the task list and check it off as I run through it, then have it reset unchecked when I compete the build. There are no date requirements, I just need something that I can check a box as completed. Also, if I could have it as a universal app that syncs through something like the iCloud or Dropbox or Box.net, that would be a bonus.

List example:
1. __ Install OS from <insert image location here>
2. __ Install SMS from <insert location here>
...a. __ Configure Site Code
3. __ Configure backup location and timing
4. __ Install Exchange Management Tools from <insert location here>
5. __ Install Encryption Software for Administration from <insert location here>
And so on.

I have 3 different lists so far, with numerous steps with one of the lists having 58 steps to complete.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could make a PDF form (the kind you can actually select boxes and fill them out) and use it in PDF Expert. It has a clear form option that you can use to reset the form to it's original state; or you can just make a copy and fill it out, then delete it later when you no longer need it.

Actually, you could do much the same thing with Evernote. It will let you create RTF notes with checkboxes. Make a copy, check it off, delete it when no longer needed. Cheaper than PDF Expert, if not as pretty a solution. On the other hand, you won't need any special software to crete the form in the first place.

There are several apps that will allow some variation on this theme, including Numbers and Pages, and probably most of the other Office compatible apps.

But PDF Expert (if you have the software to create a PDF form with editable fields) is the closest to what you actually asked for.

Last edited:
OP
Somerled

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Thanks, quick question:
Will Evernote take the Word (2003) Documents that I already have with the form fields and import it already?

I dont have access to Acrobat Pro or the like that will allow the creation of forms. And I have Documents 2 Go Premium which will open the Word docs, but not display the forms.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt Evernote will import a Word doc. It is more likely to store it as an attachment. However you should be able to export your Word doc as an RTF file, and Evernote should import that with minimal problems. The Evernote app and the basic account are free, so it will cost you nothing to experiment.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seems I have unintentionally misled you on one point. It does not appear to be possible to duplicate a note in the iPad version of Evernote (or the website). You would have to select, copy, and paste to make a new note. It can be duplicated in the Mac version of the program.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When all else fails, you can always fall back on GoodReader. I probably should have thought of this first.

Take your Word document and output it as a flat PDF. You can usually do this via a PDF print utility like CutePDF.

Copy it to GoodReader. Here you can make as many copies as you want. When you open the document in GoodReader you can annotate it. Choosing the simple draw form of annotation and you can X the boxes just like you would with a pencil (only using your finger).

You can either use a base copy, and make a new one for annotating, or go through slightly more trouble to select the annotations afterwards and delete them.

There are other programs like SignMy PDF that will do much the same thing, only without all the extra file management goodies in GoodReader.

Most reactions