What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a simple and strait answer about Ipad, Please!!??

vribium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad Retina, and I DO not have Mac, or the Iphone Just, One Ipad and HP laptop.
Now, my question is since I was asked to make a very simple app, like a book with 10 pages for the Iphone, Is it possible to create an Iphone app using either the Ipad I have or the HP laptop I have?

I really need this answer, I asked on yahoo answers but could not get a clear reply.

AvaMoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not an app creator, but I can say for sure, that you won't really be able to create an app straight from the iPad. I see no reason why you won't be able to create on using your laptop, but only if you know what you're doing.

Why have you been asked to create an iPhone app? Is this something you have done in the past?

Reaction score
You might also look at Yapp - do a Google search to find the site.

The website says you can make your own app, for free, in just minutes.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all you need is a simple book, there are several apps that will let you create and export a book on the iPad. No need to create an actually app, unless you need app-like features in the book.

Book Creator for iPad will create simple books with text, audio, pictures, and video. It's not the only one in the App Store, but it's the only one I've played with.

Other than that, Someled's link should tell you everything you need to know about making apps for the iPhone or iPad. The upshot being, you need a Mac.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let me expand a bit.

Making an app for iOS, while not overly complicated as far as app development goes, is a much bigger project than putting a book together. You'll need to invest considerable time to learning, then developing your app. If you don't, it's not going to get approved for the App Store; which leaves you rather limited options for deploying it; unless you're willing to go with an Enterprise license and your own app store server.

There are third party tools for creating iOS apps; but you still need a Mac and a developer account to publish the app; or you pay someone else to publish it for you. I could be wrong about that, of course. There are more things out there than any one person could hope to keep track of.

And that is an option if you have the budget for it. There are several companies that will help you create and publish off the shelf style apps for ebooks, catalogs, and other common uses.

In the end, if what you basically need is a book, you would be better off using a book creation tool, either on the iPad, or the HP. It is easy (comparatively) to create and distribute a book for most of the current crop of ebook readers, including the Kindle and iBooks.

Depending on the other types of apps you are considering, similar options are available. Either creating content for existing apps, or paying someone else to create and publish the app for you.

I'm sorry the answer is not as simple as you'd probably like; but I can summarize:

No, you can not create and publish iOS app from the iPad or HP: Or at least not using any of Apple's approved tools.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Overkill for a simple application (I don't know I'd call a book an application) but if that's the case I'd just create it as a PDF file.

There are tools that enable you to create IOS applications without an iOS device. Marmalade is one I ran across a while back when we started adding iPads in our environment.

I'm an application development manger in the real world. That translates to: I no longer write code but have to keep current and do a fair amount of research so I know what my development team is telling me......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And in my usual style of serendipity, I run across an article that suggests I am wrong, if not in entirety, at least in part. I did not research far enough to get the details, and the article is actually about a downside to the product; but the product exists. And by Adobe, no less.

Actually, with my memory jogged, I do remember Adobe has been slowly re-purposing it's creation tools for cross platform app creation, including iOS. I did not realize they would take care of the App Store publishing end of things. Though apparently not for free.

Adobe charging 10 percent royalty on iOS games made with Director 12 | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

With that, I beat a humble retreat and wait to see if a real developer has something to say.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And in my usual style of serendipity, I run across an article that suggests I am wrong, if not in entirety, at least in part. I did not research far enough to get the details, and the article is actually about a downside to the product; but the product exists. And by Adobe, no less..................

With that, I beat a humble retreat and wait to see if a real developer has something to say.

Well, TP - I just gave you a 'like' for the previous, detailed, and instructive post in this thread - and now you're 'running away' - :D Well, you may be still 'mostly' right - not sure - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, TP - I just gave you a 'like' for the previous, detailed, and instructive post in this thread - and now you're 'running away' - :D Well, you may be still 'mostly' right - not sure - Dave :)

A wiser man would have run away as soon as he saw simple and answer used in the same sentence. ;)

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
t; unless you're willing to go with an Enterprise license and your own app store server.
Just curious has anyone bought the enterprise license and store server and allow ordinary public to access ?

Maybe a wealthy group of open source folks ?

Or does license say CLOSED enterprise only ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just to show how unwise I am, I'm going to stick my oar in again.

I saw this a day or so ago, and just got done reading the FAQ:

NSB/AppStudio for Mobile Devices

Here is a solution, with some limitations, that will allow you to create and run apps across most mobile platforms, including iOS. These are essentially web apps, though there is a method to convert them to native apps that can be distributed through the App Store.

But, if you don't need a supper fancy app, don't need to do distribution through the App Store (you can use a web site), and can handle JavaScript or MS Visual Basic, this might be a good solution.

As long as you don't need the App Store, you don't' need a Mac, nor an Apple Developer license.

So, I recommend reading the FAQ and deciding if this can do what you need.

Most reactions

Latest posts