What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a normal eu charger for my iPad 2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are what, four, five modern standards? Someone outside of Europe is bound to use the same standard. I ran across this a year or so ago while researching power cords for a dryer. Let me see if I can find the Wikipedia article.

(insert Jeopardy theme)

Wow, even bigger article than I thought. There is a world map of plug types about half way down. Seems most of Europe uses type C and grounded variations of. A standard followed by about a third of the world.

AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I heavily underestimated the current number of standards, though some of them could be grouped together for compatibility, and least in the backwards direction.

OP
fribourg

fribourg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in Romania, it isn't a secret but didn't find it very important to mention just because I am pretty sure neither Amazon for Apple can solve my problem.

Going through all the ordering process with amazon will just end up telling me they do not ship here.. and Apple definitely has some kind of "embargo" on Romania :D

Thanks guys

Reaction score
fribourg said:
I live in Romania, it isn't a secret but didn't find it very important to mention just because I am pretty sure neither Amazon for Apple can solve my problem.

Going through all the ordering process with amazon will just end up telling me they do not ship here.. and Apple definitely has some kind of "embargo" on Romania :D

Thanks guys

Nope.

Where do you live? There are Apple stores in some of Bucharest malls.

What's the name again of the mall near Ikea, Brico Store and Metro? They have a store there selling Apple goods.

OP
fribourg

fribourg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is one apple shop in one of the malls in my city as well, Bucharest has more but I recently visited Bucharest and my local mall and I must say I am disappointed with my findings.

Prices here are just too high, not to mention most products like smart covers, apple chargers (individual chargers), headsets, cases aren't sold in these shops, instead they sell certain other replacement brands and the only reason is the price, people would never buy from them. In romanian online shops prices are at least 25% lower than the shops, but again most products aren't available. I've researched everything carefully. Just as an example and this will explain everything, the world travel kit from apple that has been mentioned earlier in this thread can be found in apple shops but not the original one, instead they sell a non name brand for 400 RON or 140$. Well checking Apple's store i can see it sells for 39$. Price was an issue for me. I would just went and bought that 140$ if price wasn't the issue. Everything is a steal here. Probably 5% of the population affords an iPad here and those who do and actually buy one are fooled with either over priced ipads or fake accessories. Sad..

I am trying to get myself a smart cover for 2 weeks now. First of I will mention no apple shop or any other brick or mortar store in romania sells it, I am pretty sure about it researching various forums and websites, people confirm it. Well to the point, the cheapest smart cover I came by in an online store is 256 ron or 88$ when apple store sells them for 39$ :).. I would be glad if I could find someone in the US or EU country to order an original smart cover and world travel kit for me. I would go under 100$ including shipping and taxes. Where the 100$ would only allow me to buy an original smart cover here.

Reaction score
fribourg said:
There is one apple shop in one of the malls in my city as well, Bucharest has more but I recently visited Bucharest and my local mall and I must say I am disappointed with my findings.

Prices here are just too high, not to mention most products like smart covers, apple chargers (individual chargers), headsets, cases aren't sold in these shops, instead they sell certain other replacement brands and the only reason is the price, people would never buy from them. In romanian online shops prices are at least 25% lower than the shops, but again most products aren't available. I've researched everything carefully. Just as an example and this will explain everything, the world travel kit from apple that has been mentioned earlier in this thread can be found in apple shops but not the original one, instead they sell a non name brand for 400 RON or 140$. Well checking Apple's store i can see it sells for 39$. Price was an issue for me. I would just went and bought that 140$ if price wasn't the issue. Everything is a steal here. Probably 5% of the population affords an iPad here and those who do and actually buy one are fooled with either over priced ipads or fake accessories. Sad..

I am trying to get myself a smart cover for 2 weeks now. First of I will mention no apple shop or any other brick or mortar store in romania sells it, I am pretty sure about it researching various forums and websites, people confirm it. Well to the point, the cheapest smart cover I came by in an online store is 256 ron or 88$ when apple store sells them for 39$ :).. I would be glad if I could find someone in the US or EU country to order an original smart cover and world travel kit for me. I would go under 100$ including shipping and taxes. Where the 100$ would only allow me to buy an original smart cover here.

Well yes, prices in Romania are higher for imported goods, even though it is now part of the EU. You should expect to pay an extra 25% for most modern technology, or even western food. I am afraid, that is just the way it is.

I had been living in romania, Bucharest for a few years. The summers are really nice, so warm and you have a sunny blue sky almost every day, I really miss that weather here in cloudy Scotland. Silly me, always thinking of where I would rather be :D

Anyway, here are a few links to look at. The first two are for smart covers, the latter for world travel kit. You can't find smart covers for less then 220 and the travel kit will almost always set you back at least 190 Ron. But I agree, finding Apple items instore can be difficult, as few shops sell original accessories.

http://www.quickmobile.ro/apple-ipa...mania&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=direct_link
http://telefonultau.eu/products/Apple-Smart-Cover-for-iPad-2-grey.html
http://www.shopmania.ro/magazin~onl...pple-world-travel-adapter-kit~p-10304332.html

And lastly, your calculation didn't quite work out, as the US prices are without tax. It is better to use a European currency for comparison, as those include tax. But as said before, living in romania is expensive, if you want to buy technology, on the other hand, local food is really cheap.

moosquared

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know you already got the EU charger you needed, but you could always just go to an electronic store and buy an adaptor for the socket. That way, you can still use the original apple charger. I'm sure the adaptor is cheaper than the charger.

OP
fribourg

fribourg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys on my way to buy a simple adaptor :)

OP
fribourg

fribourg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found this fellow running a shop on ebay.co.uk and got a genuine leather smart cover brand new + a genuine apple 10W EU adapter for a total of 90$ free shipping to Romania. Good deal :D

Most reactions

Latest posts