What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a new ipad

Reaction score
I need to purchase a new ipad but one to get. Even a used one on ebay would be fine for me. I got an ipad 2 in 2011 and its still running the original operating system. I was skeptical about upgrading. I just use it to browse the Internet, watch a few Youtube short videos, and take an occasional picture or short video clip. That's all. Which version of an ipad would you recommend? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The 10.2” iPad is just about the cheapest iPad Apple has ever sold, and it’s a reasonably powerful device. You might find it for a few bucks cheaper or in a package deal if you shop around.

You can get older ones, but keep in mind that the older the model the sooner it will not be able to handle newer software or updates. Make sure the older model is cheap enough so that the extra year or so of usability you lose isn’t a big deal. Cheaper now isn’t always cheaper in the long run.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If buying a used iPad be especially careful to make sure that the device is not Activation Locked to the previous owner’s Apple ID and password.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I need to purchase a new ipad but one to get. Even a used one on ebay would be fine for me. I got an ipad 2 in 2011 and its still running the original operating system. I was skeptical about upgrading. I just use it to browse the Internet, watch a few Youtube short videos, and take an occasional picture or short video clip. That's all. Which version of an ipad would you recommend? Thanks.

Hi Billy JoeBob - you've already received great advice on a possible newer model iPad to purchase (whether new, used, or refurbed) - not sure 'what' you budget may be? But as a reference, the iPad 10.2" new from Apple w/ 32 GB storage is shown below @ $329 (AppleCare is another $69) - so consider the caveats already mentioned about buying used - make sure that you have a 'return policy' and possibly even a limited warranty of some type.

BTW - my first model was the iPad 2 - came w/ iOS 4 which I upgraded over 3+ years to iOS 8.x without a problem, then replaced w/ the Air 2 (now on a Pro) - that's a lot of innovative iOS versions to skip, just saying. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 12.10.30 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll consider that. Money isn't an issue but I want to get a good deal on an ipad to meet my limited needs. Also, what do you think about an Air 2 for $160? I don't want one that will need updated in a year or two.

"Apple iPad Air 2 WiFi Only Tablet with MFi-Certified Lightning Cable and Generic Power Adapter"

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
What about this one?
iPad (2018 Latest Model) with Wi-Fi only 32GB Apple 9.7in iPad MR7F2LL/A Space Gray (Renewed)
For $229.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll consider that. Money isn't an issue but I want to get a good deal on an ipad to meet my limited needs. Also, what do you think about an Air 2 for $160? I don't want one that will need updated in a year or two.

What about this one?
iPad (2018 Latest Model) with Wi-Fi only 32GB Apple 9.7in iPad MR7F2LL/A Space Gray (Renewed)
For $229.

Hi again Billy JB - I'm not going to comment on each iPad you find and post - I've bought 5 iPads since 2011, all new from Apple so really not familiar w/ 'used pricing' - but just a few comments for consideration: 1) Try to purchase the 'newest' model in your price range; my 2nd pad was an Air 2 bought in 2014 and replaced in 2018 mainly due to a deteriorating battery life (an issue w/ older used devices); 2) I'm assuming that Wi-Fi is all that you need vs. a more expensive cellular pad w/ a data plan; 3) Is 32 GB of storage sufficient for your needs (music & pics can take up a lot of space - I now have a Pro w/ 256 GB, 90 GB are used); and 4) Repeat emphasis on guarantees and warranty on these used devices - buying a 'defective' older iPad cheap may mean another quick purchase, just saying. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While the iPad Air 2 received the iPadOS 13 update, it will likely not receive an update to iPadOS 14 next year. That’s another thing to consider when deciding which iPad to purchase.

Most reactions

Latest posts