What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a little help.

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found that if I close safari in the multitasking bar then clear cache and a restart then sign into the forum it will work on the first sign in if I don't close safari when I clear cache and a restart then sign into the forum the next time I go to the forum I have to sign in again for the 2nd time then it will remember my log in info.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you turned on your auto fill?

Go to Safari>auto fill and turn on and enable username and password feature. Try that. You may have to put in to user name and password again, but give that a try.

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you turned on your auto fill?

Go to Safari>auto fill and turn on and enable username and password feature. Try that. You may have to put in to user name and password again, but give that a try.

Yeah I tried to turn that on but it doesn't do anything.
Could you tell me how that works?

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried to turn that on but it doesn't do anything.

Gosh, the only other thing o would suggest is a reset of our your settings.

Go to General>Reset>Reset all settings. You will than have to re-enter all of your log in information again.

Just to make sure, that you are running ios 6.0.1 and that your device isn't jail broken?

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gosh, the only other thing o would suggest is a reset of our your settings.

Go to General>Reset>Reset all settings. You will than have to re-enter all of your log in information again.

Just to make sure, that you are running ios 6.0.1 and that your device isn't jail broken?

Yeah 6.0.1 and not jail broken I did the reset all settings and it seemed to work I will keep my eye on it and will report back. Thank you very much for your help.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of an old joke. Of course the system analyst side of me always quantified the joke as so;

Patient: "Doctor, it always hurts when I do {x}."
Doctor: "Then stop doing {x}."

So eddieg your issue brings up two major questions.

1) Why are you doing it?
2) How are you doing it?

The first is to find out if there is a better way to accomplish your goal. The second is to figure out how to reproduce your observed effect. And here is where you have to make sure you don't miss a single item in your description. Because I need to literally know every single step you do to make this condition happen. Off the top of my head there are three unique ways to get from the Safari browser to Settings and then back the Safari browser. So please describe in detail how you are doing it.

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of an old joke. Of course the system analyst side of me always quantified the joke as so;

Patient: "Doctor, it always hurts when I do {x}."
Doctor: "Then stop doing {x}."

So eddieg your issue brings up two major questions.

1) Why are you doing it?
2) How are you doing it?

The first is to find out if there is a better way to accomplish your goal. The second is to figure out how to reproduce your observed effect. And here is where you have to make sure you don't miss a single item in your description. Because I need to literally know every single step you do to make this condition happen. Off the top of my head there are three unique ways to get from the Safari browser to Settings and then back the Safari browser. So please describe in detail how you are doing it.

Ok when I go to settings and tap on safari and clear cache then go to home screen open safari and go to a forum and log in browse for a bit then exit by tapping the little x in the top left corner then going to the home screen let the iPad go to sleep come back 10-15 min later go back to the forum I logged into 10-15 min ago and I have to sign in again. After the 2nd sign in it will remember my info. This happens with all the forums I belong to. It doesn't do this with my iPhone 4 BTW it's an iPad 4 IOS 6.0.1 thanks for your help Skull.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is only reasons, in my opinion, to clear cookies. And only two reasons, again in my opinion, to clear the cache.

For cookies, you want to remove an automatic login.
For cache, to remove evidence or to force the website to resend all of the support files.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok when I go to settings and tap on safari and clear cache then go to home screen open safari and go to a forum and log in browse for a bit then exit by tapping the little x in the top left corner then going to the home screen let the iPad go to sleep come back 10-15 min later go back to the forum I logged into 10-15 min ago and I have to sign in again. After the 2nd sign in it will remember my info. This happens with all the forums I belong to. It doesn't do this with my iPhone 4 BTW it's an iPad 4 IOS 6.0.1 thanks for your help Skull.

Ok, that is close to what I need but lets get a little more exact. I'll break it down to the steps you listed and add in the steps you didn't cover but should/had to have occurred. This way you can confirm the steps before I tear this apart. I'll mark the added steps in red so you can chime where needed.

1) Settings -> Safari -> Clear Cookies and data -> Confirm.
2) Home button.
3) Safari.

4) Load iPadForum - this can be accomplished thru one of three ways. Please clarify which and the URL it results in.
a) Bookmark.
b) Direct URL.
c) Thru the search engine.

5) Press cancel on dialog to not use the iPadForum App
6) Enter user name and password.
7) Do you tap "Remember me?".
8) Tap Login.
9) Use site.
10) Do you get anymore "use iPadForum app" during this session?
11) Close the tab.
12) Home button.
13) Sleep mode. Do you use the Standby Button or do you let it time out?
14) Awake iPad. Shouldn't matter if its home button, standby button or smart cover, but if you want to tell me so I can be exact feel free.
15) Safari.
16) Repeat Step 4.

When you do step 16, and this is very critical so be 100% sure of your answer, do you get asked to "use the iPadForum App"?

And yes I know this seems over the top. But after 28 years of troubleshooting software and hardware, I trust my methodology and the results it produce.

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok 1 2 3 yes for 4 it's a 5 is yes 6 7 yes 8 9 yes 10 no 11 12 yes 13 time out 14 Smart Cover 15 16 yes. Yes I get asked to use the forum app again.

Most reactions