What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a lawyer!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Enjoyable thread.

Theres nothing like frustrated rage against an inanimate object.

Felt it myself this morning.
Received some christmas software so I thought I'd log in and explore it. Registration website said one thing, software box another and the support forum a third. Automated support tells me three days before they can reply to my enquiry :)

Makes me realise why the iPad ecosystem is so good.
See app, buy app, install app and use app.
Just works.

OP
I

ipadrobert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for your replies. Yes I know that Apple is far more succesful than I am or will ever be. I am glad for them. REALLY!
The point that I was trying to make about the Toshiba products was that when you purchase the unit you own it. You can do anything with it that is legal. If at the same time that I purchase a the Toshiba laptop at say Best Buy I purchase Linux, I can go next door to Starbucks, load the Linux and go online and never look back.
Please don't get me wrong I think that for the most part Apple makes an acceptable product and many ways leads the field.
My complaint is that when you purchase something it should work. Mine did not. It had two faults: 1. WiFi would not connect 2. Would not charge when connected to USB. I realize now that this forum plays to an international audience and some may not have the same view of personal property rights as others. For that misunderstanding, I apologize.
Still the thing should work when you purchase it, there should be some sort of tech support number in or on the box, you should not be forced to purchase your apps from just one source. Apple should remember their 1984 Super Bowl commerical. JB PS. I am suprised that this post received far more response than my request for help.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad was actually charging when connected to the USB port. It might have said "Not charging" but it was, just not as quickly as it would have through a high powered USB port or the AC adapter that came with the iPad. As far as not being able to connect to Wi-Fi, who knows why you couldn't connect, but I never had a problem getting mine to connect right away.

Technically you CAN do ANYTHING you want with your iPad as soon as you buy it. It's just the closed-source nature of the product means it's much more difficult.

Technically, you aren't buying the apps from one source. Picture the AppStore like a shopping mall. Yes, you can only go to that one shopping mall, but the mall has a wide variety of products for sale and has a team of people that make sure the products are worthy of selling. The AppStore actually makes it easier, because now instead of software developers having to rely on Google to come up with their website when the customer searches for the product they want, now the customer can just select a category of products that want to look at and freely browse through a list of what's available.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of iOS, I'm probably one of the people on this forum who dislikes it the most, but I still recognize that it's not a completely terrible product and is excellent in many ways.

I think you were expecting a computer when you bought your iPad. Think of it more like you would a video game system. You have to use Playstation specific video games on a Playstation, and you have to use their operating system to play those games. That doesn't make the Playstation bad though.

OP
I

ipadrobert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the posts

Thank you Superbike.
I don't hate Apple. I don't know if the device was broken or if it was just me. We will never know. I do know that the Ipad experience took away from my Christmas holiday.
There are several people on this post that list many Iproducts in their signature. It looks as though they have been using the Istuff for some time, and that may be where Apple is at. Apple are so used to doing things their way that they forget who are the new people that they are marketing to. Apple spent a lot of money to lure me and people like me to the product. I believe that they dropped the ball on support. Yes, I know that there must be 20 post with some support link. That wasn't here Christmas day. That was Apple's job along with a telephone number in the product!
I can go to Home Depot (an American company) and buy a paint sprayer for less money than an Ipad and it comes with a printed user guide and a DVD video. How much do those two items cost?
I hope that I am not the smartest IT guy in the world. If that were the case, the world would have problems. I use the Toshiba as just a reference point.
One of the earlier post pointed out that the Ipad is really a computer. I agree with that view. With that said, a WiFi Ipad should be able to link up to a router and do whatever connection with Apple that Apple wants with out the need for Itunes or another computer, and if something goes wrong there should be instructions that you can get to for help. JB

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the iPad should offer functionality without iTunes, but it doesn't and there is nothing that either of us can do about it.

Apple wants you linked to iTunes, because iTunes offers a simple way to purchase software and media from Apple. They designed the product how they felt would be best for their company, not how it would be best for the consumer.

I still don't understand why you were so against simply installing iTunes on your computer to allow you to use the iPad. To be honest with you, if you weren't worried about updating the system software on the iPad, you could do the first time sync with iTunes and then delete it and never plug in the iPad again. Sure, it's not as easy as having it work right out of the box, but it's not difficult by any means.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly, Linux is open source, if you bought it you got ripped off. Secondly, as soon as someone writes a build of Linux and compatible hardware drivers for the iPad you could do just that.

Why are you complaining that something doesn't exist?

I also can't install Windows on my ps3....does that mean it's broken?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can go to Home Depot (an American company) and buy a paint sprayer for less money than an Ipad and it comes with a printed user guide and a DVD video.
While I agree that it would only cost Apple a couple of pennies (literally!) to put in a CD with the iPad User Guide on it, I don't understand the Home Depot analogy. Apple is also an American company and just like your iPad, the paint sprayer from Home Depot is also made in China!

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly, Linux is open source, if you bought it you got ripped off.

Technically not pruchasing Linux, purchasing support and/or specific tools in a distro (e.g. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Red-Hat-Linux-9-0-Personal/dp/B00008QODZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1293742467&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Red Hat Linux 9.0 Personal: Software[/ame] ).

I also can't install Windows on my ps3....does that mean it's broken?

Windows? Yes it does. But then Windows has been broken since 1.0 :D.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quote Apple are so used to doing things their way that they forget who are the new people that they are marketing to. Apple spent a lot of money to lure me and people like me to the product. I believe that they dropped the ball on support. End quote
---—---------------

I totally do not agree millions are users are new to apple and the iPad and or iPhones and iPods. Further more on the instructions if you care to read them apple lists all details for web sites world wide including the web site for phone numbers support.

It is listed under "apple technical support numbers" on the last page. What you fail to Understand is that majority of users never have to call Apple for support because the products just work. I have suppled, and supported Apple products to both business and home users since 1984.
One reason I sold my business 3 years ago was because the need for any support dropped by 60% because users had no problems with the hardware or software. When they did have an issue if I was unable to resolve the problem within 10 minutes i would have been surprised. I would then direct the user to an Apple service centre and or website for support . The only time I ever had to give out the number for Apple' support was if the user had no Internet access.

You only have to look at the sheer numbers of I products purchased world wide as stated in my previous post to understand that no company and I mean no company could handle millions of calls for support if the product was that bad. In Apple's case it is the reverse the percentage of support calls is very small.
I am talking about apple os and apple hardware not third party hardware or non Apple applications.
Apple provides free phone support for at least 30 days. Further more the apple stores provide support one on one for free.

It is your opinion that Apple dropped the bundle on support yet the information you needed was right there in the instructions. Maybe you don't like reading instructions I don't know
The fact that one needs to go to a web site or have access to a computer with Internet is common place in the IT world to obtain support regardless of what product you purchase.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts