What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-movie, has anyone used it for their home movies?

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't get the 16GB Ipad 2, yet. Just missed it by about 3 people. Might be a blessing in disguise. I have noticed that my home movies (high definition) are around 12GB. It seems that I need more than the 16GB version of the Ipad 2. BUT how good is I-movie? It is a $4.99 app, I don't want to spend an extra $100 for 32 GB for a $4.99 app that is "ok". Appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imovies is good, but ReelDirector has more n better transitions. Tjose files are huge u mentioned. Even if u get the highest capacity iPad, u could only put about 4-5 of this 12 gb hd movies on it b4 filling up to capacity. I would do them one at a time then transfer back to PC or compress them or something. Those files are wayy to big unless that's the only purpose u want ipad2 for, to edit movies. It's good to have both imovies and ReelDirector. They compliment each other and u could do somethin on one, then load it into the other app to finish it off or add tx or whatever that wasn't in the one u used originally.
With files as large as those, u won't have any room for decent apps or anything.

OP
C

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imovies is good, but ReelDirector has more n better transitions. Tjose files are huge u mentioned. Even if u get the highest capacity iPad, u could only put about 4-5 of this 12 gb hd movies on it b4 filling up to capacity. I would do them one at a time then transfer back to PC or compress them or something. Those files are wayy to big unless that's the only purpose u want ipad2 for, to edit movies. It's good to have both imovies and ReelDirector. They compliment each other and u could do somethin on one, then load it into the other app to finish it off or add tx or whatever that wasn't in the one u used originally.
With files as large as those, u won't have any room for decent apps or anything.

Thanks. I plan on doing one movie at a time and storing them on my 1 TB external drive.

OP
C

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It also appears that I may have other problems too. My HD movies are .tod format. I don't think I-movie will recognize it; this might be too much of a hassle. Apple - Support - Discussions - How do I get iMovies to see my imported ...

But this will not prevent me from buying the Ipad-2. I just want to see if I can use it for my movies too. Oh well.

Well it looks like you have to use the camera connection kit to import movies to i-movie, Apple - Support - Discussions - iPad 2 iMovie ...

Now the question becomes can you import, using the camera connection kit, movies from your external hard drive.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I posted about it in the Apple support forums and Macrumors.

Basically the only way to do it with random movies right now, and I've only tested it with iPhone .MOV files, is to do this:

1) Have a Jailbroken iPhone with whatever movies you want to copy over on it.

2) On the Jailbroken phone, open up iFile

3) Navigate to the directory where the movie is located and select the arrow to select the movie

4) Scroll to the bottom and choose "Save to Camera Roll"

5) Connect the iPhone via the Camera Connector Kit to the iPad

6) Import your videos

7) Profit!!

OP
C

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ Thanks, I think I will stick with my PC for editing movies. When looking at the Ipad 2 Guided Tours I knew something was up when they talk about using video from Ipad 2, Iphone 4, or Ipod touch. Apple - iPad - Guided Tours

I am a little surprised that they did not mention the camera connection kit. Also, they did not mention anything about importing videos. Who would use their Ipad 2 or Iphone 4 or Ipod touch for their vacation videos?! Unless you want to remember it by way of crappy video and stills?!

Still getting the Ipad 2, but not for movie editing.

OP
C

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This poor bastard has a mac and wants to edit videos on the road with his ipad 2 and he is having problems with the Ipad 2 and the camera connection kit.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWUzeG4qxo[/ame]

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tested an M4V file and no dice. It shows up in the camera roll, but won't work to import into iMovie.

I dont' feel like trying to convert a file, but I have a *.MOV file from another camera that I'll try.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andsoitgoes, I think the M4V is OK to impot into iMovies, suppose there are something wrong with the iMovie or the M4V files extension is defferent?

BTW: for home videos and movies sharing on iPad, found this wiki article might can do some help:
How to Put Home Videos Onto Ipad/Ipad 2 - wikiHow

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing you can import into iMovie is iPhone Video. Nothing more or less.

There is a specific FPS, Resolution, whatever that is defined somewhere, but it is clear that iMovie is ONLY designed for iOS movie files. That's why it runs so damn well.

With regards to putting videos on your iPad, the easiest solution, IMO, is AirVideo and its offline conversion. It couldn't be any more simple. No codecs, no fiddling, just AirVideo.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tested an M4V file and no dice. It shows up in the camera roll, but won't work to import into iMovie.

I dont' feel like trying to convert a file, but I have a *.MOV file from another camera that I'll try.

Get reel director app. Load up that movie in there. Press render. It'll convert it to .MOV file. Then save to camera roll. Now that movie can be seen and recognized by imovies. I did a write up on that wrk around in another similar thread. It renders and converts the vids pretty fast also, so it ain't like u waiting all day. Thru this method, I can get imovies to see all my movies. Only gripe is, how come reel director app can see all my movies from the start and not imovies? All my movies are mp4 format which is supposedly supported by imovies. It may be that the movies have to be in camera roll folder and in .MOV format. I've moved mp4 movies to my saved folder n imovies still wouldn't see them..lol

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
This poor bastard has a mac and wants to edit videos on the road with his ipad 2 and he is having problems with the Ipad 2 and the camera connection kit.Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWUzeG4qxo

I went and tried the same with a Sony dsc- tx7, a canon g10 , 7d and had the same results as you. I'll try to work on this over the next couple days.

ThePhotog

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
C

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
This poor bastard has a mac and wants to edit videos on the road with his ipad 2 and he is having problems with the Ipad 2 and the camera connection kit.Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWUzeG4qxo

I went and tried the same with a Sony dsc- tx7, a canon g10 , 7d and had the same results as you. I'll try to work on this over the next couple days.

ThePhotog

That wasn't my video and I believe you will not be able to overcome the problem because your sony is in a format that won't work with imovie. Anyway try it, also you might want to read a post or 2 above this one where someone posted a workaround. Good luck and let us know if you got it working

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several video converting software. What format will I have to convert the Sony format too ?

Most reactions