What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I message

rebecca suinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finding hard to use i message . Aren't u suppose to type numbers to send ur messages?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rebecca--you can either use a person's phone number or their apple ID or associated email they assigned to receive and send iMessages to.

I am going to move this to the Help section for further assistance. You currently placed this question in the Poll section, which it is not.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest way to use iMessage is to add the recipient to your contacts. You can then select them by name, instead of Phone number of email address. As noted by Skimonkey above, the parties at both ends have to set up whichever email addresses (and phone number) they want to receive at. There is no apparent limit to the number of email addresses you can set up, but each will need registering with Apple (except your AppleID. That's already done.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind iMessage on the iPad will only work with other registered iMessage users. You can't send to just any old phone. It is not SMS.

OP
rebecca suinner

rebecca suinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way to use iMessage is to add the recipient to your contacts. You can then select them by name, instead of Phone number of email address. As noted by Skimonkey above, the parties at both ends have to set up whichever email addresses (and phone number) they want to receive at. There is no apparent limit to the number of email addresses you can set up, but each will need registering with Apple (except your AppleID. That's already done.)

Thanks

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold in mind iMessage on the iPad will only work with other registered iMessage users. You can't send to just any old phone. It is not SMS.
Replying to an old msg. On my wifi only iPad2 I have been messaging my son's android phone for years. In view of the above quote, why did that work?

I'm asking because today I traded in my iPad2 for a wifi only Pro. They did the iPad restore in the Apple store. Messaging works to other iPhones but NOT to my son's android.

The Pro is also not getting inbound from his android. It worked before, not now. What could be the problem? I have an unresolved ticket in to AppleCare but I am hoping for a solution here. One thing is that I clearly mentioned android and the tech did NOT say, 'oh...that is not possible'.

Ideas?

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
replying to myself. Answer is that in iPhone you can go to messages->text message forwarding. Enable and now my wifi iPad rec'v & send text to android.

Most reactions

Latest posts