What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like the iPad....but

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread on Flash, I my reason for buying the iPad was to use as an instant on web device that could sit on the coffee table and had a long battery life.

I am generally happy with it but there are (naturally) some disappointments.

1. I can't print documents. A fix is due soon but will require a compatible printer.
2. Saving email attachments is problematic. There are 3rd party solutions but this should be native functionality.
3. Not Flash compatible. I wouldn't care about this except that it means that I can't access some web sites.
4. No cursor keys. The magnifying glass thingy is cute but quite fiddly. Selecting a block of text is quite difficult

Sally Marshall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use PrintCentral

My husband used this for work on his iphone - and showed it to me and I simply access my Google doc from within the app - and print any doc (or photos/emails) where I like!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My husband used this for work on his iphone - and showed it to me and I simply access my Google doc from within the app - and print any doc (or photos/emails) where I like!

Thanks Sally,

This looks like what I would want if I had a WiFi printer, which is not the case at the moment. I don't want to go the printer sharing route so I might look at buying a WiFi printer, after I see what iOS 4.20 has to offer (I don't hold out much hope to be honest).

Sally Marshall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
printing

Have talked to Ross on this and when he is at one of his remote sites - they have a usb printer that he prints to with the application. He said all he did was install a free app called WePrint and it worked perfectly with PrintCentral - so this may save you some money in getting a new printer!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have talked to Ross on this and when he is at one of his remote sites - they have a usb printer that he prints to with the application. He said all he did was install a free app called WePrint and it worked perfectly with PrintCentral - so this may save you some money in getting a new printer!

I appreciate your assistance with this.

Am I correct in assuming that you need a Mac or PC running to print to a non-WiFi printer with PrintCentral?

if so, I might wait for iOS 4.2. If I have to buy a WiFi printer anyway, I guess I can make sure that it is AirPrint compatible.

Last edited:

isk9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad de

the MAC people always told me that Mac comes with everything installed, guess this is not what the IPAD has. I am installing forever and get a lot ....it is not comparable with this. I am quit disappointed with iPad, but will keep it and learn how to find things it can understand so I can use it. It looks nice, but I think it should have had a lot installed so one can see a webpage and print etc. I will not buy another one, but will learn to use this one.seems one can BUY all kind of software,but that is not what I had in mind.
Know everybody here are very happy for the Ipad and one day I might understand it too

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread on Flash, I my reason for buying the iPad was to use as an instant on web device that could sit on the coffee table and had a long battery life.

I am generally happy with it but there are (naturally) some disappointments.

1. I can't print documents. A fix is due soon but will require a compatible printer.
2. Saving email attachments is problematic. There are 3rd party solutions but this should be native functionality.
3. Not Flash compatible. I wouldn't care about this except that it means that I can't access some web sites.
4. No cursor keys. The magnifying glass thingy is cute but quite fiddly. Selecting a block of text is quite difficult

Nothing is ever 100% of what you want in it, but if it is 80% or better than you should be satisfied.

Sally Marshall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
printing directly from the iphone

RAC sorry I didnt see this earlier, i dont log on very often. He says that it seems to depend on the model of printer - but for most sites and their printers he can now print straight to over wifi signals when he is allowed by their IT people - he also said he uses 3G as a backup (I dont he means backup and restore?)
hope I've been of help to you - sorry again ; I'll try and not leave it a month to reply
Sally.

I appreciate your assistance with this.

Am I correct in assuming that you need a Mac or PC running to print to a non-WiFi printer with PrintCentral?

if so, I might wait for iOS 4.2. If I have to buy a WiFi printer anyway, I guess I can make sure that it is AirPrint compatible.

isk9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the IPAD, and can not understnad that I have to BUY so many things to get it to do something, I would not buy another IPAD again, I think it is much too Expensive for what you get, and you have to buy so many APS to really get it to do something, very dissapointed in this contraption, MAC computers come with everything included (Mac people always told me that) but not the IPAD, that nikkel and dimes you all the time, more than nikkel and dimes for APS. Thank you for the forum , it will help me a great deal to get anything out of this IPAD

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
For those surprised by the costs and extra effort in installing apps on the iPad, I only have one question. And I'm not trying to be mean. Did you do ANY research before buying them? At all? There was nothing hidden in advertising or otherwise about the capabilities or set up of the iPad. Absolutely zero. How can you fault a machine for you not doing research?

Again, not being mean, honestly curious.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those surprised by the costs and extra effort in installing apps on the iPad, I only have one question. And I'm not trying to be mean. Did you do ANY research before buying them? At all? There was nothing hidden in advertising or otherwise about the capabilities or set up of the iPad. Absolutely zero. How can you fault a machine for you not doing research?

Again, not being mean, honestly curious.

I agree, also READ THE REVIEWS, More than likely in the first page you will be able to tell if its going to work for you or not.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the iPad....but it is useless for surfing the web due to the lack of flash. I never even open the web browser.

I knew this when I bought it, I use if for other things that work well. I have a laptop for surfing.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the iPad....but it is useless for surfing the web due to the lack of flash. I never even open the web browser.

I knew this when I bought it, I use if for other things that work well. I have a laptop for surfing.

Useless? Really?

So I guess using my iPad right now to browse this site and post isn't useful?

FLASH IS NOT UTILIZED ON THE MAJORITY OF THE INTERNET.

It may be utilized on many of the sites you like to browse, but it's not that way for everyone. Does it make me angry that Steve Jobs is having this stupid feud with Adobe about Flash? Of course, I would like to be able to go on every site on the internet without a worry, but calling the iPad useless for the internet is asinine.

A Porsche 911 might not be as useful for transportation as a Range Rover, but it's still very useful as a car and better in many ways than the Range Rover.

Most reactions

Latest posts