I like the iPad....but

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by RAC, Sep 23, 2010.

1. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    As mentioned in another thread on Flash, I my reason for buying the iPad was to use as an instant on web device that could sit on the coffee table and had a long battery life.

I am generally happy with it but there are (naturally) some disappointments.

1. I can't print documents. A fix is due soon but will require a compatible printer.
    2. Saving email attachments is problematic. There are 3rd party solutions but this should be native functionality.
    3. Not Flash compatible. I wouldn't care about this except that it means that I can't access some web sites.
    4. No cursor keys. The magnifying glass thingy is cute but quite fiddly. Selecting a block of text is quite difficult
  2. Sally Marshall

Sally Marshall iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Use PrintCentral

My husband used this for work on his iphone - and showed it to me and I simply access my Google doc from within the app - and print any doc (or photos/emails) where I like!
  3. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Thanks Sally,

This looks like what I would want if I had a WiFi printer, which is not the case at the moment. I don't want to go the printer sharing route so I might look at buying a WiFi printer, after I see what iOS 4.20 has to offer (I don't hold out much hope to be honest).
  4. Sally Marshall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    printing

Have talked to Ross on this and when he is at one of his remote sites - they have a usb printer that he prints to with the application. He said all he did was install a free app called WePrint and it worked perfectly with PrintCentral - so this may save you some money in getting a new printer!
  5. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i think the issue cant cause me stop buying ipad
  6. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I appreciate your assistance with this.

Am I correct in assuming that you need a Mac or PC running to print to a non-WiFi printer with PrintCentral?

if so, I might wait for iOS 4.2. If I have to buy a WiFi printer anyway, I guess I can make sure that it is AirPrint compatible.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  7. isk9

isk9 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad de

the MAC people always told me that Mac comes with everything installed, guess this is not what the IPAD has. I am installing forever and get a lot ....it is not comparable with this. I am quit disappointed with iPad, but will keep it and learn how to find things it can understand so I can use it. It looks nice, but I think it should have had a lot installed so one can see a webpage and print etc. I will not buy another one, but will learn to use this one.seems one can BUY all kind of software,but that is not what I had in mind.
    Know everybody here are very happy for the Ipad and one day I might understand it too
  8. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0

Nothing is ever 100% of what you want in it, but if it is 80% or better than you should be satisfied.
  9. Sally Marshall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    printing directly from the iphone

RAC sorry I didnt see this earlier, i dont log on very often. He says that it seems to depend on the model of printer - but for most sites and their printers he can now print straight to over wifi signals when he is allowed by their IT people - he also said he uses 3G as a backup (I dont he means backup and restore?)
    hope I've been of help to you - sorry again ; I'll try and not leave it a month to reply
    Sally.

10. isk9

isk9 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am new to the IPAD, and can not understnad that I have to BUY so many things to get it to do something, I would not buy another IPAD again, I think it is much too Expensive for what you get, and you have to buy so many APS to really get it to do something, very dissapointed in this contraption, MAC computers come with everything included (Mac people always told me that) but not the IPAD, that nikkel and dimes you all the time, more than nikkel and dimes for APS. Thank you for the forum , it will help me a great deal to get anything out of this IPAD
  11. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    What have you bought? I have bought nothing but a case and use mine all the time.:confused:
  12. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For those surprised by the costs and extra effort in installing apps on the iPad, I only have one question. And I'm not trying to be mean. Did you do ANY research before buying them? At all? There was nothing hidden in advertising or otherwise about the capabilities or set up of the iPad. Absolutely zero. How can you fault a machine for you not doing research?

Again, not being mean, honestly curious.
  13. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree, also READ THE REVIEWS, More than likely in the first page you will be able to tell if its going to work for you or not.
  14. chisaki

chisaki iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the iPad....but it is useless for surfing the web due to the lack of flash. I never even open the web browser.

I knew this when I bought it, I use if for other things that work well. I have a laptop for surfing.
  15. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Useless? Really?

So I guess using my iPad right now to browse this site and post isn't useful?

FLASH IS NOT UTILIZED ON THE MAJORITY OF THE INTERNET.

It may be utilized on many of the sites you like to browse, but it's not that way for everyone. Does it make me angry that Steve Jobs is having this stupid feud with Adobe about Flash? Of course, I would like to be able to go on every site on the internet without a worry, but calling the iPad useless for the internet is asinine.

A Porsche 911 might not be as useful for transportation as a Range Rover, but it's still very useful as a car and better in many ways than the Range Rover.
  16. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Heck I use it to moderate two different forums. Useless? I was tracking a package the other day, retrieved my gmail and the link for tracking with the ipad. All from the comfort of my bed.

I bought it specifically for browsing and so far it's exceeded my expectations. The one thing that does bother me is that the default browser cannot be changed, but I can live with Safari, no problem.

I've never had a need for flash. I have an Droid with flash and I don't use it there either.
  17. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +530 / 0
    I totally agree I never use my laptop except for uploading music or back up and i am surfing daily inc banking eBay and research I don't need flash in fact it is turned off on the laptop. To each his own but for me it's heaven using the iPad for surfing the web
  18. newfmp3

newfmp3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I certainly agree with you on some points. There is a lot of nickel and dimeing on this Mac contraption. This is my first and only Mac device,and there are a lot of things about it that just make me scratch my head. Why do I have to buy a PDF reader in order to get a decent one? Same thing for various other apps that would be entirely free on Windows...ie rdp, vnc, a selection of various browsers that aren't restricted by the os and apples rules and so on. Why is it so hard to sharemfilesmto it, or copy files to and from it? The list goes on.

Do not get my wrong, I like it, but it is the cocept of the tablet that I love, the portability, the instant on, the fluidity of how it operates. What I do not like about it, is that it is made by Apple and their Nazi way of doing things.
  19. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well, there are about to be a slew of Android tablets on the market this holiday season. Do what I'm doing, hand your iPad down to your wife (or sell it) and buy an Android tablet with full functionality. Don't be fooled though by all the crap that is being released like the $100 tablets. Buy a good quality one for $3-400 and you'll get exactly what you are looking for.
  20. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think its easy to see 99% of people like what apple is doing and the "closed" OS is what has made it so popular and such a " magical" device. Its easy to see people are voting for iOS with their pocketbooks. We can go on and on about full function vs iPad,open vs closed,flash vs no flash, but wow iPads are flying off the shelves........