What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I just cant justify the cost...ipad 2 is too expensive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar response last week. A friend asks me what am I doing this weekend and I said " I will be playing with my new ipad 2"'. The immediate response was oh those things are expensive!!! OK well everyone has their likes and dislikes I am very frugal in other areas so I can enjoy my new ipad so who cares what others think!!
;)

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Listen u got one life..dont know wats gonna happen tommorrow..and its not that expensive that u have to sell ur property! And talking about justification..try using other tablets and u will know why its justified...in fact iphone and ipads are the most justified apple products till date!

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you think it is too expensive then don't buy it. Where I live the iPad is 3 months salary for most people. I would never buy something like an iPad for 3 months of my salary.

To say that an iPad is too expensive I disagree. It depends how you define too expensive. Compared to other similar products? What other similar products?

You can always decide to buy a knock-off Chinese copy. But, you get what you pay.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many have touched on it above. It all comes down to justifying the purchase - and believe it or not, many times its regardless of cost.
Sure, for near all of us there is bound to be something we deem unaffordable. And for many, spending $500-$900 on something like the iPad vise rent, the mortgage, clothes and/or groceries is not in the cards, regardless if they could really utilize it or not. That's what is better known as priorities. :)

For me it's clothes. I'm one of those that obviously likes to look great yet despises the cost of near everything I like..... :)
Like many with something like the iPad, I'm appalled at $50+ shirts and jeans let alone much more for work/dress clothes, yet have no issue dropping thousands to tens of thousands on electronics in the home.

Myself, I commend those that stick to their budgets, priorities and savings to resist the urge to have the latest and greatest gadget.

Ipad: Have or don't have, like or don't like, can justify or can't,,,, it's all good folks.

Cheers

clydeclyde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need vs Want

1st post, long time lurker . . .

The iPad2 has been ordered, and my friends' responses are all: "Why do you need that?" even from the ones that are Apple-addicted like me.

But, I'm from the BBS, pre-internet computer-nerd generation, and the gadgetry being developed and that is accessible to the average consumer is nothing less than amazing . . . stuff that was only hinted at in sci-fi literature of the late 70's and early 80's. Carrying around a computer in your pocket is so convenient and life-style-altering; younger users take it for granted. Having a touch-screen gadget that'll fit into a file-folder is the next logical extension in technology.

My response to "....needing that?" is that I've been waiting for an integration of services and functions for a long time. Having audio, visual, financial, security, educational, productivity, etc., etc., all accessible and controllable through one "gadget" . . . yeah, that's worth $800 all day long and twice on Sunday.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, a convert, and I'll definitely use that one myself! Thanks and welcome to our world, Clyde!

bill_d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's just a tool and for me being self employed it's tax deductible :)
and was cheeper than replacing my indash GPS in my work truck

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 32gb iPad one just before the iPad 2 came out. The main reason being that I wanted an iPad and the iPad 2 wasn't worth it due to the lack of upgrade so I saved myself a £100 as they had dropped the price of the iPad one.

I can understand wanting to save some money in getting and iPad... but to say the iPad2 is not an upgrade says to me you don't do your homework. If dual processors, and graphics performance up to 9 times faster plus dual cameras for video conferencing, mirroring and HDMI interfacing via a dongle plus 33% thinner and 15% lighter with magnetic on/off builtin ... these little goodies forced Xoom and Galaxy to go back to the drawing boards. I don't know what kind of upgrade you were looking for. There a likely some big software changes in the works. Garageband and iMovie work ever so much better on iPad2 because of the extra performance. Some major higher performance gaming in also in the works. Maybe you don' need these extras ... but please don't suggest iPad2 is not an upgrade.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone get this a lot? I took my ipad 2 to a dinner function last night that had about 1000 people in attendance. I was definitely checking out if anyone was rocking a tablet. To my surprise, I was the only one there with a tablet! In fact I didnt even see a single person with even a laptop or netbook.
I can understand why no one would have a laptop or tablet at a dinner function. I am not sure that this would be the best venue even to show any of the iPad features.

I can also understand why some people would think a laptop or netbook is sufficient. I think that tablets and smartphones are too expensive, but I don't think that prices will come done within the next 3 or four years.

But just as I noticed dedicated book lovers falling for Kindles, I am seeing more people popping out iPads, especially business people and commuters. It's not just about the device, it's the things that one can do on it.

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
singlestick said:
I can understand why no one would have a laptop or tablet at a dinner function. I am not sure that this would be the best venue even to show any of the iPad features.

Oh sure, haven't you heard the pick up line, hey babe, you want to check out my apples? :)

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
singlestick said:

Simple. If the food is not good you can order a pizza online.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only the individual buyer can decide for him/herself whether a product is worth it. Even then, he's deciding for himself and isn't in any position to decide for someone else.

For me, iPad was a no-brainer purchase. Right now, I'm waiting for a VPN download from work on my Windows laptop. Meanwhile, I'm checking out the forum on my iPad 2 and streaming video on my iPad 1. Do I "need" all my electronics? I think so, and that's all that counts, because I didn't ask anyone to pay for them, lol.

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
Anyone get this a lot? I took my ipad 2 to a dinner function last night that had about 1000 people in attendance. I was definitely checking out if anyone was rocking a tablet. To my surprise, I was the only one there with a tablet! In fact I didnt even see a single person with even a laptop or netbook.

Heres the general rundown of how the speech went with just about everyone I talked to or saw my ipad, including when I brought it to the dinner table.

Them: "Is that an ipad?!"
Me: "Why yes it is....why do you have one too?"
Them: "How do you like it?.....no I just cant justify the price, its too expensive for what you get."
Me: "Well believe it or not, I felt the same way too before getting one...but once you have one and use it in your everyday life, you will find its worth."
Them: "But I have a laptop already and a smartphone so thats good enough...plus dont need another thing to carry around with me everyday."
Them: "If it was $200 or $300 id consider it but not at $500+."
Me: "Fair enough"

I have two desk top computers one cam and two digital cameras... I thought I wanted a (heavy) laptop to be more mobile, until Ipad2. I took my new Ipad2 to my social club (it was a hands on - BIG! HIT!) where prior I would take my digital camera (displaying the pictures or video I took then and there on it's tiny screen) I collected email promising to email the pictures (after downloading to my desk top). Now I only need my Ipad2 to do all the above and a lot more... Like show in real time video (relative work) of interior rental properties or worthy events as they are happening... At present I have 2450 pictures, 20 music videos, 150 songs, 4 books, 6 games, numerous business/work related, educational and fun apps, and more with a lot more to be stored, on my Ipad2 64GB - Wi Fi - 3G. I love it and given it's size and all it can do on the fly (go) I'd say its $830. Cost is justified, it's a lot cheaper than a lot of (over priced) lap tops... I'm still in awe with all the technology in this thin Ipad2 too. (LOL)

thermoplyae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of you that missed the rapture today, you cannot take the money with you. Might as well spend it on fun toys. You never know when the real end will come. 2012 on the release date of iPad 3? You never know. Buy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts