What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i just bought a used ipad air

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great condition,,,almost mint. i was expecting the seller to have reset the device to where i would to start from scratch with the "hola/hello" in many languages, but it wasn't. other than that, everything seems to have been reset and info wiped clean.

is there anything i should check and recheck?...just in case

thx

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
great condition,,,almost mint. i was expecting the seller to have reset the device to where i would to start from scratch with the "hola/hello" in many languages, but it wasn't. other than that, everything seems to have been reset and info wiped clean.

is there anything i should check and recheck?...just in case

thx
If the seller didn't completely erase the iPad there's a chance it is still tied to his iCloud account. If that's the case, and you ever have to restore the iPad, you'll find it can't be restored without entering the Apple ID and password of the original owner.

In my opinion, you should try restoring the iPad to see if it's iCloud locked to the original owner. If it is, can you contact the original owner to have him delete it from his iCloud account?

Last edited:
OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the seller didn't completely erase the iPad there's a chance it is still tied to his iCloud account. If that's the case, and you ever have to restore the iPad, you'll find it can't be deactivated without entering the Apple ID and password of the original owner.

In my opinion, you should try restoring the iPad to see if it's iCloud locked to the original owner. If it is, can you contact the original owner to have him delete it from his iCloud account?

it looks like he erased all contents and settings. it's a complete blank except that there was no "hello" greeting. i'm wondering if i should do a factory reset, or is reset>erase all content and settings the same thing? is there a "deeper" reset back to factory than what's already been performed?

thx

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you have to set up the iPad as you would if it were brand new? It certainly wouldn't hurt to restore the iPad through iTunes on your computer. If you have no problems, the seller definitely erased the iPad properly before selling it to you. If you get a screen asking you to input an Apple ID and password that aren't yours, then it wasn'troperly erased and you'll have to get the seller to delete it from his iCloud account before you can get it working.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you have to set up the iPad as you would if it were brand new? It certainly wouldn't hurt to restore the iPad through iTunes on your computer. If you have no problems, the seller definitely erased the iPad properly before selling it to you. If you get a screen asking you to input an Apple ID and password that aren't yours, then it wasn'troperly erased and you'll have to get the seller to delete it from his iCloud account before you can get it working.

no. there was no hello greeting as there would be on a brand new ipad. cannot do anything through itunes as it has totally flunked on my pc - just taking up space and cannot be executed. i mean, the air certainly acts brand new,,, like i have to set up my id, etc. sorry . i feel like i'm wasting your time with what is probably much ado about nothing

thx

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not wasting our time. We're here to help.
In regards to the iPad, if it works properly and there are no problems, it should be all right. If you have any problems in the future, we'd be glad to help.

Maybe iTunes has been corrupted in some way. Are you able to delete iTunes and reinstall it on your computer?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not installed anything yet, you can always do a restore on the iPad itself. Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Contents and Settings. If it will let you do that, then there is nothing legacy left on the iPad. It's also a good way to get it set up with your own Apple ID and/or iCloud account.

If the previous owner did the setup without entering any account information you're good, but you'll end up having to entry your own data in several places. Doing the restore will allow you to do the set up once and have it all over and one with, at least as far as Apple ID and iCloud.

If the previous owner did set up an iCloud account, the iPad won't let you do the restore. It will stop you and ask for the Apple ID to proceed.

If you're already set up your Apple ID and installed a few apps, there is probably no reason to do this.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
done,,,now i have the hello greeting. will start over clean.

the itunes program really blows LOL. i hated the latest version because i couldn't figure out how to get the the old interface i was so used to, with the left panel etc. so i decided to look for an old version. i tried deleting the new version and it wouldn't delete. as mentioned, probably a corrupted file. so that's what i'm left with,,,a big FAT program that sits there like a virtual jabba the hut. i will have to manually delete itunes, but not right now.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can get the display with the panel on the left by clicking on the iPad symbol on the toolbar about 4 from the legt. Looks like a miniature iPad, but of course you have to have the iPad connected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The newest version of iTunes is also required if you have the latest version of iOS on your iPad and want to back up your iPad while connected to the computer. Also, if anything is ever deleted from your iTunes purchased list, the only way to add it to your iOS devices is through syncing with iTunes on your computer.

Last edited:

benthebluewolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the seller didn't completely erase the iPad there's a chance it is still tied to his iCloud account. If that's the case, and you ever have to restore the iPad, you'll find it can't be deactivated without entering the Apple ID and password of the original owner.

Hi, same issue here. I bought an ipad pro second-hand (it wouldn't even boot up) got it to turn on, but it's been activated by the previous owners "find my ipad" and won't let me login even after a restore through itunes. Are there any options to get it cleared or is it a lost cause? I don't have any way to contact the original owner. Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, same issue here. I bought an ipad pro second-hand (it wouldn't even boot up) got it to turn on, but it's been activated by the previous owners "find my ipad" and won't let me login even after a restore through itunes. Are there any options to get it cleared or is it a lost cause? I don't have any way to contact the original owner. Thanks
The only way to get that iPad operational is to have the original owner remove the device from his iCloud account. This can be done remotely. To do it on the device itself, the Apple ID and password of the original owner have to be entered before the iPad can be factory restored. There are no bypasses that can get around this requirement.
Unfortunately, if you can’t contact the seller, your iPad is little more than a very expensive paperweight.

Most reactions