What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have to return my iPad (from Apple.com) as soon as it arrives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long until the credit goes back into my checking acct? I mean, in # of days.

I ordered it from Apple and it's currently shipping (in Hong Kong right now), and long story short I didn't know that Apple charges you for the iPad when it ships, I thought when the order cleared after I placed it, it was done and paid for.

:(

Needless to say when it shipped I didn't have enough in my acct and now I'm overdrawn. :mad: Not blaming Apple, but that's pretty stupid that you aren't charged until it ships, which could be up to 2 weeks after you had the funds ready and it was cleared.

When it arrives on my doorstep and I ship it back, how long til I get the credit? FYI I'm in Southern California, and isn't that where it goes back to?

OP
X

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
uh, I do, pal.

Every day almost.

But as I clearly stated, I had no idea Apple charges you WHEN it ships. I had no idea they secretly deduct the amount when you first order, and mislead you into believing its already been paid for, and then let it secretly "fall off" a few days later retroactively, and then charge you again when it ships.

Maybe they should have a big warning when you press "Place Order" - WARNING: Make sure you have appropriate funds TWO times, once when you order and again when it ships 1-2 weeks later, even if you're between paychecks."

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So it showed up as a debit to your account twice? They double charged you? Never credited the first debit? That's the only way you could have overdrawn if you were watching your balance, n'est pas bud?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Charging you when it ships is better for you. Why would you want them to sit on your money, earning interest on something you haven't received? Besides, it makes it easier on their accounting department too.

My guess is that it will take at least a week to process your refund, especially if the refund is given after they receive the returned iPad. Are you going to be overnighting it back to them???

tobybarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you mean is, you didn't know what the cost of the item was when you ordered it? I would say it sounds like it's your fault, not theirs....

OP
X

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you mean is, you didn't know what the cost of the item was when you ordered it? I would say it sounds like it's your fault, not theirs....

What are you talking about??? WTF... Clearly I understood the cost when I ordered, otherwise my order would not have gone through and would have been DECLINED.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it was a debit card backed by a credit card logo, then what you probably saw when you first ordered it was a temporary authorization to hold the funds. Since it took too long for Apple to fulfill the order and make the actual charge, the temporary authorization expired. Then when your iPad shipped, your charge got processed again for real this time.

Sounds like you balance your account on paper and not online, because if you balanced your account online everyday, you would have seen the change. Especially a change of $500+ depending on what model iPad you ordered. I always see at least one "Temporary Authorization" charge on my credit card account every time I look.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Charging you when it ships is better for you. Why would you want them to sit on your money, earning interest on something you haven't received? Besides, it makes it easier on their accounting department too.

My guess is that it will take at least a week to process your refund, especially if the refund is given after they receive the returned iPad. Are you going to be overnighting it back to them???

Approx. 1.5% interest on $700 is like $10.50/year.The 2 weeks they are earning interest on your cash comes to about 40 cents.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing but sorry you need to keep control of your monies in the bank when you order something that costs 500 plus it is standard practice to charge when shipped. All apple does and any one else whom you buy from is test the account for funds if you had checked your account and looked it would have reflected that.
So don't blame Apple just understand how to reconcile your account.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ONLY way you could be overdrawn is if you spent more money than you actually had. I assure you, Apple did not charge you twice!

If you still don't want it, your best bet would be to take your SEALED UNOPENED box to an Apple store and see if they will take it back, but be advised, there probably will be a restocking fee.

Last edited:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should you be buying an iPad at all if you don't have 500 dollars in savings to pay for it? I just don't understand people. Apple products are luxury items. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, its probably not a good idea to drop 500-1000 dollars on a toy.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's great that they do not charge until they ship

That way you are not forced to front a loan to the seller for days, weeks, or months like some venders require. Congrats to Apple, they are financially secure.

Macgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry pal, you don't order things without the money in your account.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts