I Hate The App Store

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by tobybarker, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    There is simply no easy way to browse 200,000 plus of anything. The only way to do it is by searching. I hate it as well, because I know that I am missing some gems hidden in there..............

Also, as others said, appshopper, touch arcade...etc... can help.....

2. killdanzig

killdanzig
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i thought that i was the only one that hated that setup.

everyone i know seems to like it, or at least they're not complaining as much as me.

3. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    iBooks is also modeled on the AppStore and as crappy to use.

What's the worst out of those two is the time it takes those tiny pages to load. What I'd suggest is first show one page as the result of the search with just the titles. Then show the pretty icons when we ask for a view of one title.

4. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    yeah, its a love/hate things with the app store. The app store puts everything in one place, manages billing and payments, and handles installation and updates. On other platforms, you went to the developer's web site, bought and downloaded the app from there. For updates, you relied on emails from the developer or you had to check back to the web site. If you have 10-15 apps thats a lot to manage.

On the other hand, the interface for finding apps is horrible. There's no option to sort by price or rating. I do a lot of the looking on the web. Then, when I find what I want I just go to the app store to get it.

5. nthnm

nthnm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    There's an app called AppStream for the iPad that shows random apps. I've had it for a day or two now and I've found a few ok apps from it. It's free so it's worth a try.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see that you are still contributing quality posts to this forum.

To answer the OP, I use appshopper.com and App Advice from the App Store in tandem to find good apps, as has been mentioned I think.

7. Joker

Joker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I tried it and it lagged as hell, I thought the whole system was going to crash.:D

8. nthnm

nthnm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I haven't experienced that. It runs smoothly on my iPad but I have a lot of free space on my iPad so maybe that helps.

9. arshield

arshield
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I use appshopper too.

If apple just allowed people to tag apps that would provide another search mechanism and it would put the work on the shoppers. At this point it feels like Apple is being intentionally obtuse.