What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate OSX

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me how to move/copy a file from one folder to another without using a cursed mouse?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you could use the Terminal. It is similar to the DOS prompt in Windows. But unless you have some Linux / Unix experience it may take a bit to get used to the syntax.

So, exactly how are you moving files on non-OS X computers, without using a mouse?

If you are just trying to avoid the drag and drop method:

Select the file or files you want. Command-C to copy. Select the folder you want. Command-V to paste.

I think there is a keyboard shortcut for move, but I don't remember at the moment.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ummmm, this is an odd reason to hate a mouse input based OS.

Just like in windows you can cmd-c to copy then cmd-v to past (cmd is the same as ctl in windows), if you would like to move it you can use cmd-x to cut it

or you can go into terminal and type cp [path/filename] [newpath/filename]

if you want to move it replace cp with mv

if it is a protected or system file you will have to grant admin access by prefacing the command with sudo and typing in your system password.

A shortcut to file paths is just drag it into the terminal window...but that would require a blasted mouse!!

As far as file management OSX has all the same functions as windows and linux...its just a little better laid out.

Last edited:
OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, cm-c /cmd-v works for copying, like Windows. Sorry.

But I'm getting no joy from cmd-x / cmd-v.

Sometimes I find it difficult to drag and drop if I can't immediately see the destination folder. Does this mean I'm not using the Finder properly? Should I be able to arrange the windows (for want of a better term) in such a way that everything is visible?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can open two finders, if you've got the screen real-estate to view them both. Even if they overlap a bit, if you hover over the window you want while dragging it will come to the front.

Just open your first finder. Now right click on one of the icons under Devices or Places. Choose Open Enclosing Folder. Now you have two finders. You can navigate to the folders your want to transfer files between, select, and drag and drop.

Use your hard drive icon if you want to be able to navigate to anywhere on the Mac. Other folders only let you navigate to subfolders. Though I think there is a trick to get around that.

If you have a folder you want to put things in often, you could make an alias on the desktop. Or you could put it in the Dock.

Alternately, in the finder you can drag folders into the Places area. Besides being able to open them quickly, you can then drag files into them from the main viewing area.

Lots and lots of ways to do things. It just takes a while to learn the tricks, and pick the ones you like best. I've been using this thing for years, and I learn new tricks all the time.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try using Total Finder which is a finder replacement that gives you tabbed windows/panes. Migrating from windows you may find this makes transitioning easier.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet, Hasty, thanks for the patient, useful advice. I can feel the hatred dissolving already.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I can say about OSX is that I spend much less time "housekeeping" my mac than I do with the pc's here.
Also, forgive me if you already have one, get a mac keyboard as using kbd commands is one of the pleasures of a mac.

Most reactions

Latest posts