1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

I gobbled up my 250MB plan too fast! Tips to minimize usage?

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by wahoowad, Jun 20, 2011.

1. wahoowad

wahoowad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm usually on wifi but bought a 'month' of 250MB AT&T so I could check a few things online while on vacation. I went through 250MB in less than a week even with what felt like judicious use of internet. It almost felt like some things were running in the background and using bandwidth although i did my best to keep things disabled, turned off, etc.

No video viewing.
    Kept work Exchange email turned off (but not calendar).
    Avoided any large downloads or viewing of hi-bandwidth stuff.
    Had my larger Dropbox and iBook files marked as Favorites so they were local on iPad (no download).
    No Youtube, Netflix, or running of apps that download a lotof stuff (like news apps, etc).

I mostly browse my personal interest forums. Any tips to keep usage down? Any free ad-block browsers?
  2. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Try using WiFi as much as possible, which will save your 3G data. Also, OperaMini is a great tried party browser which will help minimize the amount of MB that you consume during each web browsing period.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

Attached Files:

3. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. wahoowad

wahoowad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should have stated I only use the 3G when wifi is unavailable.

Thank for the good link!
  5. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You did mention you use Wi-Fi mostly.
    Anytime you can surf an "m" or wap site you'll save a ton of data, safari will render to the mobile versions on its own
    Forum apps use a lot less data than their websites as well

Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from my Galaxy 10.1 via Swype, SlideIt or Ultra Keyboard
  6. schmidtj

schmidtj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Do you actually turn 3G off when you are using WiFi or should I say when you don't want to use 3G?
    Rumor has it the iPad prefers 3G over WiFi when in sleep mode even if WiFi is available. I can't confirm it but I have seen my 3G usage go up overnight when at home and both 3G and WiFi are available.
    So now ...
    I put my iPad in Airplane mode when ever I don't need to use 3G and then turn WiFi on and leave it on.
    That way I don't accidentally leave 3G on by mistake.
    J
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Maybe I'm misreading, but if you have it in airplane mode, wi-fi won't work, either.
  8. wahoowad

wahoowad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes, I manually turn on either 3G or wifi dependingon which I know will be available. I'll use the wifi if available.
  9. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    WiFi works while in airplane mode, I'm using it that way now on my iPhone 4 to post this reply. :D

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Odd. Your iPhone must work differently than all my iOS devices (and as Apple intended). This is Apple's description of how airplane mode works iPad Wi-Fi + 3G: Understanding airplane mode, and mine works as described. When airplane mode is on, there is no connection, wi-fi or otherwise.
  11. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Strange, have you tried it? I ask because, my co-workers are also able to pick up a WiFi connection while airplane mode is set to on. Remember that once you turn airplane mode on, it automatically turns WiFi off, so you need to turn WiFi back on again. Here is a screenshot of my iPhone 4 in airplane mode with WiFi turned on.

Attached Files:

12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0

Yes. If I'm in Settings and turn on airplane mode, it cuts wi-fi (and 3G if I have that on). That's the way airplane mode is supposed to work, to cut all signals to avoid interference with airplane operations. Otherwise, there's no point to airplane mode. If your airplane mode leaves wi-fi on, all it does is duplicate your 3G (cellular) on and off button.
  13. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    After turning airplane mode on, and having it turn off WiFi it does flip WiFi from on to off. However, I am able to turn it back on. Sorry, but I do not believe after doing so that it "duplicates" my 3G service, otherwise I would be able to make and receive calls while in that mode and I can't.

14. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Apparently Apple has changed this. I copied the following page from an iPad 2 guide that I downloaded from the app store. It explains exactly what I was saying above, and that WiFi is now available in airplane mode. :)

15. jnewell

jnewell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not have believed it if I had not tried it, but I can turn on airplane mode (killing all radios) and then turn wifi on, and get a wifi connection. I think that qualifies as a bug, given the purpose of airplane mode, but it is possible. Very odd. :confused:
  16. PoetDoc

PoetDoc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have noticed on my iPhone that if I leave 3G and data 'on' my phone grabs A LOT of data overnight, like at midnight or 2 am (when I am not using the phone). I suggest you go into your AT&T or Verizon bill online and look at the times when all the data was downloaded. I solved the problem by turning off 3G and data most of the time, except when I really need them. Now my data usage is more reasonable and I never go over. Also I am pretty good about closing apps at the end of the day. I think there is a class action suit against AT&T for over charging people for data. Check it out. http://thedroidguy.com/2011/05/class-action-lawsuit-att-sued-for-overcharging-iphone-customers/
  17. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's not a bug at all, please read what I posted above in quotes as you will see that Apple has listed this as a feature in their online iPad 2 user guide. Keep in mind that more Airlines are beginning to offer Free WiFi Inflight now.

Here are just a few examples:
    In-flight Wi-Fi Access
    * Singapore Airlines to offer in-flight mobile calling, texting & Wi-Fi*by*AirportWiFiGuide.com
    Continental Airlines To Offer Inflight Wi-Fi
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Good to know. Thanks.
  19. Mattmilw

Mattmilw iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm very confused at the moment. I emailed the above Cnet link to myself to later view it on my pc. I was checking email on my ipad2 and decided to instead view the video with Skyfire. My intent was to open the link in Safari, copy the URL, and paste it into Skyfire. When it opened in Safari, there was a picture for the video and a play button. I clicked play and the video played perfectly. When it finished, a message popped up saying This movie could not be played. And I couldn't replay it. I can close Safari, click the link in the email, and the same thing occurs. Safari opens and I can watch the video once. At the end, I get the could not play message.

I don't get it.