What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I get iOS and iPad

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
morning all. This is my first post on the forum and I thought I would give my first impressions of my iPad and iOS.

I have been a long time user of windows, 3.0 up to windows 10. I still use it on my Dell XPS 13, which is my main "productive" computer with having a keyboard.

I originally bought my iPad 2017 as a new portable device (cellular) for media consumption as well as web browsing and light use when on the move.

Having used the iPad for a month or so I'm very impressed with it's abilities and it just works with no endless updates such as Windows gets so often. Also with the clarity of the screen it's now my main ereader using the kindle app as will as buying books from the apple App Store.

In fact I'm so impressed I have ordered a new iPad Pro 9.7 cellular with 128gb from Amazon in order to get the better screen and more memory. I did look at the 12.9 iPad Pro but it was just to big for a hand held device for my use. I may start using the iPad Pro as my main use computer if it proves able. I will look in the near future to buy a keyboard for the iPad. Just at present the apple keyboard seems just to pricey for me. I will post my impression of the iPad Pro later after I have used it a while.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forum, there are many people here who will be able to help you should you you have questions.

As a matter of interest l bought a Bluetooth keyboard from Amazon some months back and use that to connect to my iPad Air 2 just a thought for you.
Not only that if you don't like the one you selected you can always send it back.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
morning all. This is my first post on the forum and I thought I would give my first impressions of my iPad and iOS.

I have been a long time user of windows, 3.0 up to windows 10. I still use it on my Dell XPS 13, which is my main "productive" computer with having a keyboard.

I originally bought my iPad 2017 as a new portable device (cellular) for media consumption as well as web browsing and light use when on the move.

Having used the iPad for a month or so I'm very impressed with it's abilities and it just works with no endless updates such as Windows gets so often. Also with the clarity of the screen it's now my main ereader using the kindle app as will as buying books from the apple App Store.

In fact I'm so impressed I have ordered a new iPad Pro 9.7 cellular with 128gb from Amazon in order to get the better screen and more memory. I did look at the 12.9 iPad Pro but it was just to big for a hand held device for my use. I may start using the iPad Pro as my main use computer if it proves able. I will look in the near future to buy a keyboard for the iPad. Just at present the apple keyboard seems just to pricey for me. I will post my impression of the iPad Pro later after I have used it a while.
Welcome to iPad Forums, ipad2017!
Remember, if you have any questions of problems, we're here to help.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I unboxed my new 9.7 pro yesterday and saw some big improvements over the iPad 2017. Such as the screen and the audio. The 2017 iPad is still a great device given the price in the UK.

I have fitted a UAG case so I have the option of using a keyboard on the iPad.

So far battery life is good but as yet I haven't use it a lot as I spent most of the afternoon setting it up.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did add a Apple iPad Pro keyboard to my iPad. I did want a UK keyboard and one which would work out of the box. It has made a great improvement to using the device. This is fast becoming my default computer setup. Apple maybe more expensive than other manufacturers but the integration and quality shines through.

I think I'm becoming a real fan of the apple way of things. I even use Microsoft Office 365 on my iPad. Not being much of a note taker, I don't need the smart pencil.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update on my iPad Pro experience for the last month or so.

Having updated to the iOS 11 beta, I can say it is a great improvement on my experience of iOS 10.3. The only downside is the decrease in battery life. (In my use about 90 minutes less) I’m sure this will be addressed by apple prior to releasing the final in the autumn. This iPad Pro 9.7 has now become my daily driver for all computer use. (I’m no power user)

I’m so impressed with my iPad Pro I have changed from using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge so a new Apple i7 phone. I didn’t feel the need for a i7 Plus. I’m a bit long in the tooth at 58 to be a “fan boy” but I do like the way apple do things.

I will still stick with my Dell XPS 13 laptop, which is now getting a lot less use due to using the iPad Pro being my daily driver. However when I change my smart watch (currently a Fitbit Blaze) I will buy a Apple Watch 2.

I’m on a health kick so use a fitness device. 98 pounds currently lost in 7 months and a lot healthier. My diabetes is now normal and I no longer get chest pain as much as I did. (I had a minor heart attack and 3 small stokes at 55)

I will replace my current 9.7 iPad Pro next year. (I bought my current device just a week or so before Apple announced and launched the new 10.5 iPad. I will wait till after the developers event before I buy, a lesson learned.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple does have a 15 day no questions asked return policy that would have allowed you to return your iPad, if you would have known about it in time. You can remember this for the future in case Apple ever again releases an updated product just after you've purchased the older one.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. In fact I purchased the iPad from Amazon as Apple UK needed a couple of weeks to deliver the 128gb version I’m using.

Other than being the old version I love My iPad. Having the keyboard is a great addition.

Thanks again

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you use a Mac, even an iPad it's hard to go back! Glad you're enjoying the experience.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I replace my XPS 13 I will certainly look at a Mac replacement.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just installed the iOS 11 public beta 2 on my 9.7 iPad Pro. Compared to the last public beta, this beta 2 is a lot snappier with a lot of changes and fixes under the bonnet. (Hood for American readers)

I won’t go into details as there are a lot of YouTube reviews that go into details of beta 2.

Just a great improvement on the last beta.

It’s also more snappy on my iPhone 7.

I’m looking forward to the final release version of iOS 11 in the autumn.

OP
I

Ipad2017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded the new iOS11 public beta 4. First impressions are good. It seems a little faster with some apps which had stopped working now usable again. Mostly banking and finance apps.

The overall experience for me at least has been positive and I’m looking forward to the final release in the autumn.

Most reactions