I don't want a new O/S for my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Expatriate, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Kisom

Kisom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just updated to 10.5 and now my apps keep closing down on me. I do not like this one! Any ideas how to fix this?

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to iPadForums!

The latest software version for iPad 4 and later is 10.2.

If your apps misbehave, force close them:
    Double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher. Then slide the thumbnails below the app icons towards the top of the screen.

Another option would be to force start (reset) your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own.

Did you update over the air, or via iTunes? If you installed the update via Settings - General - Software Update on your iPad, connect it to iTunes (make sure computer and iTunes are up to date) and restore it.

Hope that helps.

3. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Reading through this thread make me regret starting one on a similar subject. I can see both side of this as I share similar frustrations as the OP. For me, I'm liking IOS 9- it's works well and I have no need to change that. However, about the security patches, how different do you think it is between IOS 9 and 10? I'm planing to stay 1 full OS behind so to never get left out of app support and get a more polished OS when I do update. Also that will skip all the micro updates between, at least unless I'm convinced otherwise about security?

Like the OP I assum, wifi can use up cellular data when you use a hotspot for you connection like I do FYI.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:

The importance of a paticular security update is difficult to judge. You almost never know how vital a security hole is until it's been used in the wild, and that is always too late for someone.

Security companies rate known vulnerabilties by their potential to compromise a system, not thier practical application or any actual damage caused. They also have a tendency to be slightly alarmist (most make their money off of security software).

That said, Apple apparrently patched several vulerabilities that were considered high risk in 10.2. That's pretty common with the point updates.

You can achieve pretty much the same iOS version stability by waiting for a couple of point updates after a the initial update. Like 10.1 or even 10.2. This gives the developers that intend to continue supporting their apps plenty of time to do so. It might even be better for security too, since it gives Apple a chance to fix the more obvious bugs and security issues that might have been introduced with the new iOS version.

When on Wi-Fi you should not be using any significan amount of cellular data; unless you have Wi-Fi assist turned on under Settings > Cellular. In that case you might us some, or even a lot, of cellular data. It depends on how reliable your Wi-Fi signal is.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    While I'm obviously in favor of keeping your OS updated, on a reasonable schedule, I ran accross an article today that provides a non-jailbreak solution to keep updates from happing. It involves a bit of trust, since you'll be installing a profile from a site, but this particual source looks to be reliable.

I am not endorsing this. I have no reason to trust the method other than the apparent legitmacy of the site and article involved; so you do this entirely at your own risk, and preferably after some investigation.

You should never install anything on your iPad unless you fully trust the source.

I hadn't considered using profiles, which are normally only available to business and education registered iPads; but it makes perfect sense that they can do this. Both businesses and education have legitimate reasons to keep their iPads from being updated automatically, or at the users' whim.

How To Disable iOS OTA Upgrade on iPhone and iPad without Jailbreaking

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Updates are life learn to live with it or do with out a iPad.

7. Expatriate

Expatriate
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thomas1977, I think you have hit the nail on the head! "C'est la vie!" is the only answer here, well ... the only one I have found. My ultimate solution was to move to a different contract with three times the data allowance.