What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I decided to remove my jailbreak

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The newest limera1n worked for me this afternoon, but after only a few hours, my iPad is currently doing a full restore back to stock 3.2.2.

Why, you may ask?

I honestly was interested in just BackGrounder. I personally really like the iPad interface and design of the UI as it is. I just pop a nice background and I'm all set.

But, I ended up downloading Backgrounder, and SBSettings, and I really didn't notice any benefit from it. Backgrounder did run on a few apps, but I really didn't the performance I expected out of it. I can wait until 4.2 honestly.

I used to have a Jailbroken iPod Touch, and I adjusted all kinds of settings on it. Took up alot of my time.

I'd much rather spend my time browsing the web, youtube, typing documents, and more, instead of trying to customize the interface.

I know some of you will disagree with me, but I'm happy with the iPad out of box, and simply see no need to JB.

Fizzler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does not really matter what any one else thinks. You paid for it and the one that decides on what you like and do not like. I just like to tinker with things until it breaks than tinker with it some more to figure out why it broke.

My wife on the other hand would not let me near her iPad.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know some of you will disagree with me, but I'm happy with the iPad out of box, and simply see no need to JB.

I know one SuperMod that will agree with you 100%. I agree with you. But I can't help being fascinated by JB ~ I love reading about it!

Hahahaha some day ago i have exactly the same comment of
I'm happy with the iPad out of box, and simply see no need to JB

Some year ago is a needing ti have iPhone JB , but yet is really a waste of time to try to have it …

Curenntly my Ipad run the 4.2 (b2) and it work like a Charm … i absolutely don’t need to JB (or even try) my device … the simplest the better , right ??

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly was interested in just BackGrounder. I personally really like the iPad interface and design of the UI as it is. I just pop a nice background and I'm all set.

But, I ended up downloading Backgrounder, and SBSettings, and I really didn't notice any benefit from it. Backgrounder did run on a few apps, but I really didn't the performance I expected out of it. I can wait until 4.2....

Most applications don't give much benefit running in the background, even when you make them run as if they were in front.

For whatever it is worth, Multifl0w makes Backgrounder a much nicer experience.

But like you, I do not see much need for jail breaking an iPad when iOS 4.2 is right around the corner and will do what I want. You're also completely correct that jail breaking and tweaking becomes your raison d'être at the expense of productivity.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple would just add something like SBSettings to iOS I would have to think twice before jailbreaking. That one little application alone makes the JB worth it to me. I hate having to completely exit an application just to adjust the screen brightness. Even worse is having to cut a Netflix stream off to adjust the brightness and then hope it actually remembers where I left it.

You can leave the interface just like the default even if you are jailbroken. If you are spending a lot of time adjusting it (I don't see the need to tinker much with themes on my Ipad) then there must be something you don't like about it ....

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even worse is having to cut a Netflix stream off to adjust the brightness and then hope it actually remembers where I left it.

Netflix stream memory is always dicey. There's still a movie in my recently viewed items, one that I viewed quite some time ago, and Netflix says I have only seen 37s of it. :)

So what you're after is being able to swipe your finger or something, and cause a small settings window to drop down over top of whatever your main window is, while the main window continues to operate at full strength. (Netflix would have to continue to stream at full speed in order to be 100% sure of uninterrupted, non-aggravating viewing.)

This seems doable under the new Application Store requirements, if somebody would do it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even worse is having to cut a Netflix stream off to adjust the brightness and then hope it actually remembers where I left it.

Netflix stream memory is always dicey. There's still a movie in my recently viewed items, one that I viewed quite some time ago, and Netflix says I have only seen 37s of it. :)

So what you're after is being able to swipe your finger or something, and cause a small settings window to drop down over top of whatever your main window is, while the main window continues to operate at full strength. (Netflix would have to continue to stream at full speed in order to be 100% sure of uninterrupted, non-aggravating viewing.)

This seems doable under the new Application Store requirements, if somebody would do it.

I have seen that exact type of thing from Netflix. It can become an issue when you are watching a TV series and take some time off from it.

Right now SBSettings does a great job for what I want, but I am surprised than Apple themselves have not added such a feature. If they really want to stop people from jailbreaking, perhaps looking at the most used apps and utilities in Cydia would be a good start.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now SBSettings does a great job for what I want, but I am surprised than Apple themselves have not added such a feature. If they really want to stop people from jailbreaking, perhaps looking at the most used apps and utilities in Cydia would be a good start.
Bingo.... SBSettings is the first thing I install with a jailbreak. The volume toggle is nice too.... sometimes I hunt for that danged physical volume rocker.

Now under 3.2.2 I also use Backgrounder/Circuitous to manage multitasking. But I could survive with the native 4.2 switcher and backgrounding--indeed I prefer that because it is recently-used apps too, not just those that are running like Circuitous. It is nice to be able to background an app, switch to something else--say, to fire off an email--then come back to where I left off. This should NOT need back-grounding though, as saved-state would be good enough.

But on my iPad there aren't too many other jb apps that I am interested in. I could run Categories, but I am not gonna get into that when I am happy with the folders in 4.2, and can wait for that.

All said and done if it weren't for SBSetting, and the fact that same apps don't work in 4.2 yet, I would go back to 4.2 beta 2.

Michael

Most reactions