What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I COULD get the iPad2!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll love the AIR. It is fast, light weight, SSD storage 128 GB and fast... battery life isn't 10 hours, but it has enough. The keyboard works a lot better than the virtual keyboard, even has a tab key and number in one view. Not so EZ to hold in your hand while reading, though... graphics aren't as good either... Intel stuff ya know.

Won't have to stand in long lines either.

Enjoy.

Thanks. I really am enjoying "Ariel" as I have so named her. The only thing I wish Apple had not removed is the lighting for the keyboard. But I am already used to it.

It's becoming hard to choose between my iPad or Air. The Air is just so danged "not limited" and it is almost hard to grasp that, on such a thin and light device.

I'd have to say in the thin and light category the Air is a danged good buy too. Sure you can get a netbook for $300 or $400. But I have used them and really they feel like slow Windows machines. The Air does not feel compromised on speed at all.

I think it will fit nicely as my only laptop. But I still love my iPad :).

Michael

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing, and the uk prices are even more tempting!

But with the reviews I've watched about performance and issues I've seen and read about, I think iPad 2, would not be a bad buy, but would be pointless.

I'm just going to keep away from the apple store on Friday!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mare going to an Apple store is like taking my lady shopping some how we all ways end up buying a new purse or bag oh them a new top. I never come home empty handed. It is the same with the apple store which I may add we only have 2 near us.......it is not hard to come out without something. Lol

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mare going to an Apple store is like taking my lady shopping some how we all ways end up buying a new purse or bag oh them a new top. I never come home empty handed the same with the apple store which I may add we only have 2 near us.......it is not hard to come out without something. Lol

The Lady is very lucky, Colin. In more ways then one! So, you are getting your iPad Friday?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I actually am employed at the good guys in tech zone. And will pick one up at Friday at 5 my time The good guys is very similar to Best Buy we have only 90 stores they have 1000

The real good news is that the cost of the ipad2 32 wifi dropped almost $100 aus as us dollar and aus dollar are the same

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good for you! We use to have a Good Guys here in Sac. But one year there was a horrible hostage situation that went on for hours and was televised. After that, it closed.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not the same group this is a private owned independent group. I sell most major laptops and towers unfortunately not Apple however we do sell Pods etc etc we will have ipads soon I am picking up mine from another good guys store store nearby

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Optical drives... why, why not?

I would so be in love with the air if it had a optical drive...but then, it would not be an Air would it.

I have a 4 year old 17inch Dell that the iPad should be able to replace, and when the Dell dies, it will be replaced with a 13 inch mac of some sort.

I do not know why I have the desire to have a dvd drive in my Laptop, I kinda hope the iPad will cure me of that. I think it steams from the hours and hours of dvd's I have watched while the Army has seen fit to stick me in some of the worst "vacation" spots on the planet.....

It turns out that many people have bought or copied lots of movies on DVD's. So they want to play them. Netflix made a terrific business out of offering over 100,000 titles for just a few $, no late fees. Now Netflix offers streaming. So if you have high speed internet why use DVD.

Also at one time all programs came on DVD (CD ... whatever). So we want to use all this old stuff. It was also a way to back up data, so we want to use that back up stuff. It was also an inexpensive way to share a lot of data.

Now all software is downloaded from secure servers. So the focus is away from even needing DVD. Apple for one has pulled all boxed programs, world wide. So MacBook AIR introduced a great laptop with no DVD... lighter in weight, a lot thinner, lots better battery usage, and SSD is instant on and fast...but no optical drive. So goes progress. The same could be said for thumb drives ... thus USB 2.0 ports. iPad has neither of them and you will not be getting them either. There are lots of other issues, but that is another story.

That is the background, and the motive. But it is also frustrating to those that want the new, and still want the old, also. Hope this is useful to some.

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
We did our taxes last night and things are sweet.:) It is the last year I can claim my daughter though.:(

I so could get the iPad2! At least it was my first thought after I paid off my dentist and my car and toss some into savings!

I wonder though....

Get it! Then we'll be off on the same foot together with the new toy!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone read that an apple employee said that the iPad 2 was a "rush job"? With the bad back light bleeding and random out of the box scratches, it looks like it was.

I still wish someone would give me a restraining order from apple stores on Friday!

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would so be in love with the air if it had a optical drive...but then, it would not be an Air would it.

I have a 4 year old 17inch Dell that the iPad should be able to replace, and when the Dell dies, it will be replaced with a 13 inch mac of some sort.

I do not know why I have the desire to have a dvd drive in my Laptop, I kinda hope the iPad will cure me of that. I think it steams from the hours and hours of dvd's I have watched while the Army has seen fit to stick me in some of the worst "vacation" spots on the planet.....

It turns out that many people have bought or copied lots of movies on DVD's. So they want to play them. Netflix made a terrific business out of offering over 100,000 titles for just a few $, no late fees. Now Netflix offers streaming. So if you have high speed internet why use DVD.

Also at one time all programs came on DVD (CD ... whatever). So we want to use all this old stuff. It was also a way to back up data, so we want to use that back up stuff. It was also an inexpensive way to share a lot of data.

Now all software is downloaded from secure servers. So the focus is away from even needing DVD. Apple for one has pulled all boxed programs, world wide. So MacBook AIR introduced a great laptop with no DVD... lighter in weight, a lot thinner, lots better battery usage, and SSD is instant on and fast...but no optical drive. So goes progress. The same could be said for thumb drives ... thus USB 2.0 ports. iPad has neither of them and you will not be getting them either. There are lots of other issues, but that is another story.

That is the background, and the motive. But it is also frustrating to those that want the new, and still want the old, also. Hope this is useful to some.

I hear what you are saying, but your fatal flaw in this small section of your post is the fact that Netflix will not let me stream in Iraq, Afghanistan or any other fwd deployed country. I am stationed in Brussels , Belgium, and can not get Netflix "legally"

I am coming around as a digital copy fan instead of a dvd, but there are some things that you just cant download, esp from a tent in the desert...

Most reactions

Latest posts