What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I COULD get the iPad2!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the honeymoon is kind of over for me and my iPad 2 :(. At the end of the day it is not THAT much of an improvement over my iPad 1. So I am going to be selling or returning mine. Instead I bought a MacBook Air that will hopefully get used more than my current laptop. My current laptop is an HP so going to sell that too... first time in YEARS that I won't have a Windows laptop.

Just throwing that there out for ya'! :)

Michael

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the honeymoon is kind of over for me and my iPad 2 :(. At the end of the day it is not THAT much of an improvement over my iPad 1. So I am going to be selling or returning mine. Instead I bought a MacBook Air that will hopefully get used more than my current laptop. My current laptop is an HP so going to sell that too... first time in YEARS that I won't have a Windows laptop.

Just throwing that there out for ya'! :)

Michael

...and out there ya did, Mikey. My goodness! I so respect always, what you have to say. I am shocked.

So are you going to keep your iPad and just sell the 2? Can you tell me more on why you were so bummed?

This is def food for thought ~ for me, anyways ~ coming from you.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...and out there ya did, Mikey. My goodness! I so respect always, what you have to say. I am shocked.

So are you going to keep your iPad and just sell the 2? Can you tell me more on why you were so bummed?

Well Marie, I am not sure what caused me to turn around on the iPad 2. It's definitely a fine device... no mistake on that.

It's just I didn't actually find it was much different when using it compared to my iPad 1. Since I have both right now I can see that: for instance if heading out to a friends house it wouldn't really matter to me which iPad I grabbed--unless I specifically wanted to demo the iPad 2 of course.

Guess it depends on how I, and you, use the iPad. In my case that is mainly browsing the Web, reading News apps, watching Netflix, reading ebooks, remoting into other PCs/Macs, and playing games. I looked at that and said well I really was not having any issues doing any of that on my iPad 1. While the iPad 2 adds facetime, I already can do that on my iPhone 4 and my Mac mini (and now my MB Air). After seeing the low quality images from my iPad's 2 cameras I knew I would never use it for any real photography. Heck, my phone does a much better job.

While I am sure there will be games and apps that take advantage of the better specs of the iPad 2, there are many great games right now for my iPad 1 that would take me a year to get to.

Then a few days ago I was on a trip to Oakland. I was in the midst of some work projects and I felt I needed to take my laptop too. Dragging around that slow-booting, heavy, and unwieldy "relic" (though not old at all) reminded me I still need a laptop. And traveling with both laptop AND iPad was kind of a lot.

Seeing all those snazzy looking MacBook pros in the airport got me thinking I needed to just go with a 13" MB Pro: smaller, lighter, and sleeker than my HP laptop and indeed might not want to take my iPad on the road if I had it.

Didn't think the iPad 2 made sense at that point... I mean it was only an incremental upgrade and I figured why not wait for the iPad 3.

I went to craigslist first to look for a deal on a MBP. Whoa! LAST years models were being listed, as "firm", for only a couple of hundred dollars, if that, less than the new models--which are significantly improved in speed. No way did it seem to make sense, to me, to buy used at those prices.

So off to the Apple Store. There I played with MB Pros and found that while the 13" is indeed a fairly compact laptop, I would not call it super thin, nor super light. Placed next to an 11" MB Air it was HUGE. In fact the Air was not all that much larger than the iPad. It impressed me, far more than previous Airs had done.

Then after considering my laptop usage may not be all that much, I stuck to my guns about getting the cheapest Air available. And I am glad I did as it seems fast enough indeed.

So there you have it!

Michael

Last edited:

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my first iPad for the iPad 2 coming out. I like the idea of it having a camera so on my holiday time, I can just take videos from it, edit it from the iPad and blast it off to my friends. I also need it for my lyrics and rehearsing tunes.

So with that being said, I need one. If you think you need it, then get it. :)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well Marie, I am not sure what caused me to turn around on the iPad 2. It's definitely a fine device... no mistake on that.

It's just I didn't actually find it was much different when using it compared to my iPad 1. Since I have both right now I can see that: for instance if heading out to a friends house it wouldn't really matter to me which iPad I grabbed--unless I specifically wanted to demo the iPad 2 of course.

Guess it depends on how I, and you, use the iPad. In my case that is mainly browsing the Web, reading News apps, watching Netflix, reading ebooks, remoting into other PCs/Macs, and playing games. I looked at that and said well I really was not having any issues doing any of that on my iPad 1. While the iPad 2 adds facetime, I already can do that on my iPhone 4 and my Mac mini (and now my MB Air). After seeing the low quality images from my iPad's 2 cameras I knew I would never use it for any real photography. Heck, my phone does a much better job.

While I am sure there will be games and apps that take advantage of the better specs of the iPad 2, there are many great games right now for my iPad 1 that would take me a year to get to.

Then a few days ago I was on a trip to Oakland. I was in the midst of some work projects and I felt I needed to take my laptop too. Dragging around that slow-booting, heavy, and unwieldy "relic" (though not old at all) reminded me I still need a laptop. And traveling with both laptop AND iPad was kind of a lot.

Seeing all those snazzy looking MacBook pros in the airport got me thinking I needed to just go with a 13" MB Pro: smaller, lighter, and sleeker than my HP laptop and indeed might not want to take my iPad on the road if I had it.

Didn't think the iPad 2 made sense at that point... I mean it was only an incremental upgrade and I figured why not wait for the iPad 3.

I went to craigslist first to look for a deal on a MBP. Whoa! LAST years models were being listed, as "firm", for only a couple of hundred dollars, if that, less than the new models--which are significantly improved in speed. No way did it seem to make sense, to me, to buy used at those prices.

So off to the Apple Store. There I played with MB Pros and found that while the 13" is indeed a fairly compact laptop, I would not call it super thin, nor super light. Placed next to an 11" MB Air it was HUGE. In fact the Air was not all that much larger than the iPad. It impressed me, far more than previous Airs had done.

Then after considering my laptop usage may not be all that much, I stuck to my guns about getting the cheapest Air available. And I am glad I did as it seems fast enough indeed.

So there you have it!

Michael

Thanks, Michael! I think that the MB Air was the one I played with while I was at the Apple store ~ It was very impressive and very close to the price of my iPad too!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Thanks, Michael! I think that the MB Air was the one I played with while I was at the Apple store ~ It was very impressive and very close to the price of my iPad too!

That's it, you're doomed now......I hear that your local Apple store is planning on giving all their staff a day off after you go in, for hitting their monthly sales target!

The Archangel

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wold so be in love with the air if it had a optical drive...but then, it would not be an Air would it.

I have a 4 year old 17inch Dell that the iPad should be able to replace, and when the Dell dies, it will be replaced with a 13 inch mac of some sort.

I do not know why I have the desire to have a dvd drive in my Laptop, I kinda hope the iPad will cure me of that. I think it steams from the hours and hours of dvd's I have watched while the Army has seen fit to stick me in some of the worst "vacation" spots on the planet.....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mx1 said:
I wold so be in love with the air if it had a optical drive...but then, it would not be an Air would it.

I have a 4 year old 17inch Dell that the iPad should be able to replace, and when the Dell dies, it will be replaced with a 13 inch mac of some sort.

I do not know why I have the desire to have a dvd drive in my Laptop, I kinda hope the iPad will cure me of that. I think it steams from the hours and hours of dvd's I have watched while the Army has seen fit to stick me in some of the worst "vacation" spots on the planet.....

What about this.....

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC684ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTk0MjUxMTE

The Archangel

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Viable solution for sure, but an extra perif to carry.

I really think the iPad will break me of the need for a slot drive. But the ease of just dropping an install disk in and taking off is nice....

well let us let SP have her thread back....so you were saying SP that you want to buy me an iPad2.....

Tim

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I really think the iPad will break me of the need for a slot drive. But the ease of just dropping an install disk in and taking off is nice....

well let us let SP have her thread back....so you were saying SP that you want to buy me an iPad2.....

Tim

Oh, I don't mind in the least! I always learn so much from you guys. Continue!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

That's it, you're doomed now......I hear that your local Apple store is planning on giving all their staff a day off after you go in, for hitting their monthly sales target!

The Archangel

Too funny! I just tried to call my Apple store and no one ever answered! They must be extremely busy!

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Oh, I don't mind in the least! I always learn so much from you guys. Continue!

LOL...dont learn nuttin from me, I have no idea what the heck I am doing....

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

The Archangel

Too funny! I just tried to call my Apple store and no one ever answered! They must be extremely busy!

I just talked with them and they said they just sold out for the day ~ but expect a shipment in the morning ~

No waiting list ~ first come first serve basis.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I just talked with them and they said they just sold out for the day ~ but expect a shipment in the morning ~

No waiting list ~ first come first serve basis.

I am certain there will be two lines if you go down there, one for Marie forcing you past the displays for all their products and one for everybody else.....going straight to the iPad counter.

They say that Macs are more addictive than cigarettes!

The Archangel

Most reactions