What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Come In Peace: Nexus 7 vs Ipad 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Make versus videos on Youtube, and I have come here to learn more about your favourite Device
This is a list I comipled showing the advantages of both systems
Can you guys tell me some exclusive or better features of IOS (no jail breaking on either device)

Nexus 7 AU$299 16GB - JELLYBEAN

More portable
Easier one handed use
Much lighter
NFC
GPS
Better voice assistant (faster, better Voice, accurate)
Better search bar
dedicated digital back and multitasking buttons
True multitasking
advanced notification system
Open system-More freedom
More free apps
Faster charging
More sharing options
Better google integration (YouTube, Maps,Gmail)
16:10 format for movies
Launchers
Lock screens
Live wallpapers
Widgets
Music players
Messaging/keyboard apps
More Durable
microusb support
better for gaming (desirable form factor, weight)
better for reading ebooks (desirable form factor, weight)
Slightly Better battery life
Better Front facing camera (1.3mp,720p vs 0.3mp 480p)
Easier scaling from Phone apps
More Control over apps
More Control Over the hardware
Easier adding Multimedia
Offline Dictation
Built in Battery life analysis

Ipad 3 AU$539 16GB - Wi-Fi Version

Natural Whites
Brighter
Colour accuracy

Viewing angles Phonearena
Bigger screen - Better Viewing
-Documents
-Photos
-Web browsing
-Videos
Thinner
22% Higher PPi
Rear facing camera
Better Apple integration (apple tv, Macs, Itunes ect)
More accessories
less ad-ware on AppStore
Less Low quality Apps
Better Exclusive Apps
Better optimized tablet apps
Better Video Audio
Remote PC Control
Louder Speakers

More Exclusive IOS features plz?

Last edited by a moderator:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you initial premise is in error. You assume smaller is better for an eReader for example. Or for gaming.

I disagree on both counts.

Posted with TapaTalk for iPhone

OP
C

cyprusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you initial premise is in error. You assume smaller is better for an eReader for example. Or for gaming.

I disagree on both counts.

Your entitled to your opinion but i would say the general consensus is a 7inch tablet is a more natural size of a novel and much much lighter would be more comfortable for extended time over a heavy 10 inch tablet

And similar reasons goes with gaming, the nexus 7 form factor is allot more similar to a design of a hand held gaming device like the PSP, and you can read this article for more info

The Nexus 7's Software Buttons: Designed For Gaming

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I own both devices as well as two other Android tablets.

The first three on your list are the same thing.

NFC is not a proven technology. IMO, all it presents right now is a greater chances of getting hacked. It creates additional risk for the user. Scanning NFC tags could be dangerous to the user.

I see no practical advantage you what you call "true multitasking". Prove this is an advantage an not just a talking point.

More free apps just means more ads taking up space on the screen.

Try controling a remote computer on the GN7. That is an exercise in pain on your PC using a higher resolution than the GN7 has with its tiny screen.

Try reading a full sized PDF or even a webpage for that matter on the GN7. Or a magazine. Try Distro.

Even though the images on the GN7 look good, the lesser ddi does make small text hard to read. Nothing is hard to read on the iPad.

Dictation on the iPad is every bit as good as that on the GN7. The assistant is not better, it is just different.

More cases.
More stands.
More keyboards.
More devices like the Air Stash that are designed to work with iOS devices. We should just list all of the third party add-ons so we can make the list longer.
More games.
More professional level apps (is there a GoodReader for Android yet?).

See, this is what you are doing to show your android bias.

I play Dead trigger on both my GN7 and my iPad 3. My scores are MUCH higher on the iPad 3. I could easily make head shots on the iPad 3 were it took more effort to do that on the GN7. So the smaller screen is both a blessing and a curse, for games. As well as reading. On the iPad, because of its size, I can put it in vertical stand mode and actually be able to use it, but not so much on the GN7. So, I can nullify the weight disadvantage on the iPad because I can simply put it on my desk in front of me.

Obviously, you know nothing about video on the iPad. There are a zillion players for video. And I have several on my Android devices and they are finicky. I don't see there is an advantage here for GN7. Also, the iPad can play full 1080p video and output that to a TV over cable and over wifi.

Generally, the 16:10 format is only and advantage for movies, but when you compare the larger screen on the iPad with the smaller screen on the GN7, what you see of the movie is the same exact size (even with the bars on the iPad)! So, given that, I'd rather have the 4:3 screen because I can do other things like view full page documents in their entirety. Hence, the 16:10 comment is not an advantage at all, it is just a taking point. I doubt if you seriously have considered your points.

The GN7 is lighter, but it is also smaller. One is a plus and the other is a negative. The true advantage comes when you have comparible screen size AND lighter weight (this would be a true advantage for the Asus Transformer Infinity Pad, for example, as it is lighter and has comparible screen size). Sure, you make it smaller, you get it lighter, but you did so by giving up viewable area. And you give up pixel density too, so your advantage in reading smaller text goes away too.

There were a lot of complaints over on XDA about the touch screen not working once the GN7 gets warm. So, how can you say there are fewer heating issues?

I have seen actual video comparisons on youtube for the boot times. The iPad won, not the GN7. Just go look.

My iPad 3 has LTE. That means I get like 20+ Mbps up/down even in little podunk cities in Mississippi (I test LTE speeds everywhere I go)!

On my iPad, I can put a nagivation app like Navigon on there and mount that on an Arkon arm in my car, and have 10-inches worth of maps that I can see at a glance. Can't do that on the GN7 since it only comes with 16 GB max, and no 3G, so you either give up space or you can't download maps, or you have to fool around with caching maps. Not to mention that Navigon doesn't work right on the GN7.

The max volume on the iPad is greater than that on the GN7.

There is something else about the pixels on the GN7 that is simply not the equivalent of what the Ipad is doing. It is not just pixel density.

Still, I love my little GN7. It is inexpensive, light, and snappy. It is a very refreshing Android device. But it is NO iPad.

Oh, and I still can't get the screen capture to work on the GN7. Don't know why. I do this all the time on iOS and it always work. On iOS it is way easier to delete apps too.

The simplicity of iOS is attractive. With Android it seems like you must configure...and configure and configure. I think people spend too much time on that.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Comparing a 7' screen device with a 10' screen device is like comparing apples and oranges (pun intended) ;)

Both have apps and features, most likely the same, but the usage is a bit different. In general, for 7' screen device, we hear about movies, weight, portability as advantages. For a large 10' screen device, it's more about readability, convenience and productivity.

As I see it, a smaller device may be better as a media player or a gaming machine while a larger device will provide a better media consumption experience (magazines, the Internet, etc...) and a better productivity tool.

For sure, you can write documents on a GN7 as well as on an iPad, but the size will make the experience more comfortable on the iPad.

I would gladly see a comparison between the iPad and the 10' Asus tablet instead or between a "mini-iPad" and the GN7.

We can argue all night long about customizations and flexibility, but these topics mean nothing beside knowing who likes to tweak and who doesn't...

A fair comparison would be with:
- Document and office related work
- Multimedia productions (pictures, movies, musics)
- Entertainment value (games, watching movies, listening to music, browsing the net)
- Communications and Social Medias interaction
- Project Management and other task related management
- Accessories available
- Maintenance cycles (updates, backups, etc...)

You get the idea. It's not what it can do, but how you use it that makes these little critters a good choice or not.

From my point of view, I like the iPad because:
- I can use it to design new softwares and manage prototypes quickly
- Create documentations and presentations as I would do on a laptop or a PC
- Watch movies directly on my TV (with the AppleTV via AirPlay) without having to connect/disconnect anything
- Support remote customers and access remote meetings where ever I am located, with a nice display size
- Combination of the iPad/iPhone/AppleTV is a perfect combo
- Apps are generally of good quality and designed for the device.
- Long battery time means that I don't have to worry about recharging at mid-day
- There is always, at least often, an "app for that"
- In general, iOS devices are supported for a few years and updated frequently with new features

I have the iPad 1, and even if it will not be updated with iOS 6, many major apps will still support it for a while. Maybe I'll move to the iPad 3 (new iPad?) or wait for the next one, but I don't feel like it will be obsolete really soon. It just won't have the latest and greatest. That's one major point for me, knowing that the device will survive a few newer devices before being obsolete. By comparison, the iPhone 3GS will be upgrade to the latest iOS version this fall. That's a 3 year old device still alive and well. It won't have all the bells and whistles, but it is still supported for a least one more major upgrade. If I remember correctly, the 3GS went thru iOS 3, iOS 4, iOS 5 and eventually iOS 6...

Comparing features from a technical point of view has no real value. The game is more into usability and efficiency with daily tasks to prove some advantages of one device over another. And that's always related to what the user wants to accomplish with it.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion but i would say the general consensus is a 7inch tablet is a more natural size of a novel and much much lighter would be more comfortable for extended time over a heavy 10 inch tablet

And similar reasons goes with gaming, the nexus 7 form factor is allot more similar to a design of a hand held gaming device like the PSP, and you can read this article for more info

The Nexus 7's Software Buttons: Designed For Gaming

I have no interest in "general consensus" as most people don't think for themselves.

The iPad weighs less than any hard bound book I own. The screen size far outstrips any advantage of weight. If smaller/lighter was better I'd be reading more on my Kindle Fire. When I'm reading plain text I can use the Kindle reader no my phone, so no advantage there for me, and when reading comics or magazines the iPad can't be beat.

I suppose if by "gaming" you mean those crappy little handheld toys then smaller is better but when I play games it's more likely to be Infinity Blade or Rage (which you can't play on the Nexus) so I don't count that as better either. I have that same Pinball game on my iPad, Kindle Fire, and phone. I play it on the iPad. I can rest the end of the "table" on my knee and play for quite awhile. I get tired of the tiny screen on the Fire pretty quickly.

My point is the idea of someone else telling me what is "better" is never going to work. You don't know me, so you can't say what is better for me.

Instead of telling people which is "better" you could tell them how they are different, and what to consider when making the choice.That would be helpful. If you start from incorrect assumptions, you'll get incorrect answers.

That's all I'm saying.

OP
C

cyprusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the Info Im editing my list now Im taking allot of the advice of what you guys said, you guys are right theirs positives and negatives, The ipad has its advantage for viewing/reading most things (which I originally Included in the list) because of the PPI/screen size ect but the Nexus has its advantage more for "comfort" reasons especially for extended periods of time

but when it comes to the actual operating system itself I really don't see how IOS can compete at all when it comes to features and the simplicity of doing basic tasks on android phones are not allowed on IOS or simply require more steps than it would on android. Id really recommend watching the videos i Posted.
its the highest rated Android vs ios video ever with over half a million views and it debunks the myth about things being more "simple" on the iphone and how thats more of apples genius marketing, as less doesn't always mean simple.

I would really like it if someone who is very experienced with IOS 5-6 to make a similar video about all the advantages of IOS over jellybean, seriously that would be awesome.

And just so you guys know i dont post anything on my youtube versus videos without doing allot of research first like im doing know..
My last Ipad vs Transformer vid got over 21 000 hits the funny thing is I later made a video promoting the ipad over the transformer and only got 400 hits.. very strange

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Watching your video. There are many, many apps that when you buy them on one device you get them on all devices that they run on. I have a ton of games that that I got once, and then automatically download to my iPhone. However, some vendor sale different versions for different devices. If a vendor decides to be greedy, you should blame the vendor, but I can say IME that is not having most of the time on iOS. I don't think you can blame apple for that. If you can, then I can blame Google for the fact that some apps that run on my Acer Iconia aren't compatibile with my GN7! Hey, what gives, they are both Android tablets, why aren't they compatibile?

Again, this shows that you are not really a user of iDevices yet you are trying to claim you are doing a fair comparison. Not fair. You need to become a serious user of multiple devices on BOTH platforms before you can claim to be a fair reviewer.

I will argue once again that one reason why Android phones have become so big is because of the ads in free apps! They are taking up screen space, so now you need a bigger screen! I have no problems whatsoever reading anything on my iPhone because the text is so good. Of course, I don't plan on watching movies on a tiny screen or doing serious web work. I have like a zillion other ways to read websites and I can even use the phone, if I must.

BTW, iOS used to have option of refusing an app purphase after you bought it. That was present in 2011 when I got my first iPad (iPad 2). Apple since removed that feature. Since I only started using iOS in 2011, I have no idea how long this feature has been present. I think you should know this if you are going to be reviewing, otherwise you seem very biasd. Others can offer the reasons why the feature was removed. Probably because of abuse of some kind. I would not surprice me if a similar thing happens with Android, assuming vendor ever make any money developing apps. Remember, if the only way a vendor can earn a living is to put ads in apps that nobody pays attention too, just how long do you expect to be getting free apps? This whole "free app" thing is the reason we are getting apps that has so many IAP (in app purchases) that you can't even play the game until you go spend money. So, I remain wholely unconvinced buy the arguement that "more free apps" is some kind of advantage for Android. In fact, the reason there are so many games on iOS is because people pay for them. Expecting to get something for nothing is not going to get you very far.

Last edited:

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an Android and IOS user I find the comparison quite biased and filled with a lot of irrelevant stuff.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cyprusx said:
Better search bar
True multitasking
advanced notification system
Music players
Messaging/keyboard apps
Easier adding Multimedia

Sounds biased, WHY is it a better search bar and advanced notification system? HOW is it true multitasking? How and why are they "better" or more "advanced" than the iPad?

I know for a fact there are alternative music player on the iPad, and while it doesn't have any keyboard apps, there are definitely messaging apps. I'm don't know about you, but personally, I think dragging and dropping in iTunes is a pretty easy way to add multimedia, "easier" or not, it's easy nonetheless and something I don't hear many people complain about. I haven't used a nexus tablet yet, so I do ask, how easy is it to add multimedia?

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds biased, WHY is it a better search bar and advanced notification system? HOW is it true multitasking? How and why are they "better" or more "advanced" than the iPad?

The "true multitasking" thing means that all processes/apps are the same in the eye of the SO thus, as an user, you could set up several tasks to be performed by different apps at the same time provided that there is enough resources. That's on paper, reality is another story since resources are limited.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which way?

Nexus. For instance: he added GPS into the Nexus list (even when there are GPS iPad models) but he didn't counted 3G on the iPad list (no 3G Nexus models afaik), he didn't counted the lack of HDMI support on the Nexus (which the iPad has), he stated no root/jailbreak involved but then listed open system and hardware control which are hacking related stuff...

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enough tech stuff. Down to practical use I use both I-pad and Nexus n -- I can get wi-fi signal in far corners of my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts